The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: carb intake

Wannabebig Member

carb intake

ok, i looked at the faq, did a search, and looked at diet posts from people that posted their bulking diet or diet for building muscle and still couldnt find a good answer.

To add muscle and size we all know the ole min of 1g per lb of bodyweight on protein, preferably 2g per pound and that you need to eat more calories to gain size on a clean bulk. I recently read an article that reccomended that for a 200lb man on a mass building diet that 200+ grams of CARBS per day was ideal? have i missed this dieting secret for building mass my whole life by staying fairly low on my carbs? or is this dude off his rocker reccomending such a high carb intake.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You've been trying to bulk on a low carb diet? Obviously any caloric surplus will add weight but I just haven't heard of too many people trying to add size by restricting carb intake.

Wannabebig Member
    im not neccessarily trying to bulk, im actually in the process of cutting down some fat i have picked up from getting lathargic from bouncing back and forth on shift work at my job. i find that i am training weights and cardio and building up muscle while cutting bodyfat. i am probably staying at around 100g of carbs per day id say with those carbs being oatmeal and brown rice. when i threw out the 200g per day # for carbs that was being conservative. im 225lbs and when i put in the weight into the calculator for carbs it came out with around 275g of carbs per day. that just seems very high to me.
    Last edited by tarheelguy; 01-07-2012 at 12:40 PM.

No, he is not off his rocker.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelguy View Post
    or is this dude off his rocker reccomending such a high carb intake.
    Serious? That's [generally] a LOW carb intake for gaining purposes.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-07-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Serious? That's [generally] a LOW carb intake for gaining purposes.
    this.

Trying to gain muscle mass, optimally carbs are usually at or above 2xbw in grams, depending on the person (sometimes as high as 3xbw in grams). So at 225lbs., that would be 450g. or more per day.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

200g is far from high. Obviously everyone is different and if your only having 200g of carbs a day your fat intake better be around 125-150g per day.

During my off season I was at 390g protein, 300g carbs and 175g fat at a weight of 225 lbs. Not that this will work fro everyone, just an example that low carb isn't optimal for growth. I have even been as high as 600g of carbs when I was doing low fat.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for all the great info guys. i am trying to learn more about the strict diet that i need to stick to if i really want to get serious about lifting and my body. before i would lift and go the the gym 5 days a week as a recreational lifter but my diet wasn't where it should be. so im trying to get that aspect of it dialed in better and learn from the senior members on the board.

Wannabebig Member
    can anyone give me a list of some quality carbs besides the usual brown rice and oatmeal?

Ezikiel bread, most fruits, any potato, shredded wheat, any long grain rice

Wannabebig Member
    thanks allen, i admire the physique and hope to get to your level one day. its nice to have quality posters that really know what they are talking about giving advice instead of every 14yr old kid telling you what he reads in a magazine like on other forums. partially why my post count is so low, id rather sit back, read, and learn more than try to provide information about a topic that I am still learning so much about.

ohh and april, much respect! you are doing great things in the PL sport!

Wannabebig Member
    turns out i looked at carb values for my diet on the internet last night and i am getting aproximately 250-300g of carbs per day along with 300-400g of protein per day depending on my meals. i had no idea that fruits were so high in carbs, stupid me i guess! im really excited about getting this diet dialed in.