Thread: The Science of Nutrient Timing, Part I By John Berardi - Jan 1st 2005

The Science of Nutrient Timing, Part I By John Berardi - Jan 1st 2005

JB introduces the concept of nutrient timing, a scientific method of nutritional planning intended to optimize performance and body composition results. In Part I, JB provides an overview as well as an explanation of the Energy and Anabolic Phases.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=185

Discuss away!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Nice article. IMO nutrient timing is the best way to diet. I've been doing it for ~10months now and the results are unreal. Fat loss while gaining muscle.
    A good book to buy at amazon.com is "nutrient timing system" by john ivy. Its really cheap to buy too.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig New Member

Nutrient Timing - recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    Nice article. IMO nutrient timing is the best way to diet. I've been doing it for ~10months now and the results are unreal. Fat loss while gaining muscle.
    A good book to buy at amazon.com is "nutrient timing system" by john ivy. Its really cheap to buy too.
    I purchased the book recently, thinking it was going to help endurance training for my marathon training. I think it can be adapted a little, and I will use it for the strength training in any case. What do you use to get the right combination of proteins and carbs as recommended. Do you make your own recipe? can you recommend a product? do you concentrate on getting a carb that is high on the glycemic index for post work out meal?

Thanks

my workout shake consist of:
    Pre - 40grams malto, 25protien
    During - 40malto 25 pro
    post - 80malto 50pro
    malto is i believe 140 on the GI

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

the receipes and suggested intakes include supplements as an ingredient and i really would like to see much more on nutrient timing with natural food because i haven't got money for supps. interesting article nevertheless!

go to johnberardi.com and go to the nutriotional articles. you should find some of them quite interesting.

Wannabebig New Member
    You can buy all three components for the Nutrient Timing System at GNC. Get the Gold card to save 20% at the beginning of each month. Search google for "Nutrient Timing System" to go to their website which describes the products.

The NTS has given me much more energy and faster recovery times.

hth,

Joe B.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    my workout shake consist of:
    malto is i believe 140 on the GI
    Forgive me, I'm still a newbie.

What's Malto again?

Thanks.

Maltodextrin.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig New Member

Names of NTS supplements

Quote Originally Posted by joebrad View Post
    You can buy all three components for the Nutrient Timing System at GNC. Get the Gold card to save 20% at the beginning of each month. Search google for "Nutrient Timing System" to go to their website which describes the products.

The NTS has given me much more energy and faster recovery times.

hth,

Joe B.
    I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the supplements for each of the phases of the Nutrient Timing System.

Thanks for your reply.

I wouldn't bother... it's silly science.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Calories IN,Calories Out + Right Macro + Micronutrients rich foods = Getting in shape.

That's pretty much it.

I also don't like spending too much time on complicated protocols based on speculation. Simply throwing more raw material at some station on an assembly line won't necessarily result in a faster, more efficient process. Focus on making sure there are enough materials overall without too much of a surplus, and worry about these other things once you're absolutely certain that your nutrient timing is the limiting factor in your development (whether it be fat loss, muscle gain, etc.)
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I think it can adapt a bit, I will use it in any case the strength training. What do you use to get the right combination of protein and carbohydrate recommendations.