The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

resting / muscle recooperation

okay, so your muscles grow outside of the gym, so you want to rest to maximize growth. does this growth occur at a relatively stable rate for a couple of days after leaving the gym, or does a lot of the growth occur rapidly, in the first day or two? i ask because the way i'm training now is upper half days and lower half days, and was thinking i could handle getting to at least 4 days, maybe 5 days, working out per week. when i lift i go about 45 minutes, and heavy, compound movements, so that would mean 2 or 3 days of squatting /deadlifting weekly, which is definitely a lot. if i am 21, get proper rest, and great nutrition / supplementation, and am not showing signs of overtraining, would doing such short rest periods give me better growth since i'm in the gym more?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Give it a try and see.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Be very carefull squatting and deadlifting more than once a week. If you are going heavy your lower back needs more than the average time off for recovery. Try to get at least 7 if not 10 days in between your heavy low back days. I wouldn't worry too much about squats, unless you are doing a westside style box squat in which case the low back is getting worked heavy again
    "Friends come and go, but 200 pounds will always be 200 pounds." - Henry Rollins

wait 7 to 10 days? why should the lower back get this special treatment?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazer80

The lower back takes longer to recover from heavy workouts. I'm not talking about 3 sets of 6-8 reps on deads once a week. I'm talking about someone who has a couple of days where they are doing things like heavy goodmornings, box squats etc... If you are lifting for general fitness you could probably get away with a normal amount of rest. If you are a strength athlete of some kind you will definitely need to take more time off.
    "Friends come and go, but 200 pounds will always be 200 pounds." - Henry Rollins

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    its does hhave to. but if you do not ait long enoug. Its hard to squat with a soar back from deadlifting a few days before. Your back juts stiffen up and you can not trian as ahrd. therefore your legs do not get worked as hard as you would have liked them to.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.