The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Power Look by Isaac Wilkins - Jan 1st 2005

In this article Isaac details a plan to build a big body that looks good on the field and in the gym. Heck, you might even find yourself being a little more athletic, too!

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=187

By the way for all those that do not know Isaac is our very own Borris

Discuss away!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I thought this was a great article. I like the way you've split the workouts up in a week. This is something I've been using for sometime and have found it to work quite well.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I wannabebig!
    great article, might have to give this a try

nice work,good article
    Height:6'
    Weight:280lbs off season, 240lbs on season
    max bench 540,deadlift 650,squat 600
    obstacles are things you see when you take your eye off your goal

Wannabebig Member
    what exactly is a face pull?
    what's some examples of light interval training and heavy interval training?

Do that voodoo that he do
    Thanks for the good words, guys!

guyfrompa:

You can see a face pull here.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=13319&tid=51

Basically you're pulling a cable/rope/handle towards your face from a high point. Keep your elbows higher than your shoulders if possible. This exercise is primarily for the traps, rear delts, rotators, and other musculature involved in the upper back and external rotation.

Do the interval training as I described in the article. Heavy interval training would be as many intervals up to about ten that you can do for ten seconds of sprinting alternated with 50 seconds of fast walking. Light interval training would be half that. So if you weren't in top shape and could only do six sprints on your heavy day, your light day would involve three sprints. Make sure you warm up well regardless.

If you don't have an area to sprint (PA in the winter can be difficult) then use a treadmill, elliptical machine, stairclimber, or a crosstrainer. If those aren't available then an upright bike can be used, but you might have to do more intervals as many people find it easier since you're not moving/supporting your bodyweight.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Great article Borris
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

great article brolly. I always learn something new from your journal and from your lit. You're still a tool though.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

So when does isaac plan on building his own big body? Forget about looking good, field, gym or otherwise!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    also, what exactly is a high lift off the rack? and some of the maximal effort excersizes, for the upper body, isnt on the website you have listed. thanks again and i cant wait to try it on monday, the wbb#2 hasnt been cutting it for me

Wannabebig Member
    when you are doing the 3rd week of the maximal, do you just do 2 sets of warm up, then 6 individual lifts?

getfit: Thanks.

Rene and Ms. Petey: Pfft. I've got 250 lbs of sweet fatty lovin' for you two.

guyfrompa: I'm glad you like it, man. Keep us updated on how you do! Also, keep the questions coming. They're good ones.

Go to www.elitefts.com and check out the Q & A session. There's an exercise index that should have most of the exercises in them.

A high pull from the rack is a high pull performed in a power cage. The bars are set so that the bar will start a few inches above your knees. Pull to your upper chest or throat.

Check out this site as well:

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/...ideo_index.htm

The Clean Pull High is the fifth video down in the Power column. This is what you'll be doing, but instead of the bar starting on the floor it'll start on the bars of a cage as I described above.

As for the six singles approach, I would warm up a bit more than two sets. Using the 260 lb bencher example that I used in the article I might use a progression like so:

45 lbs x 15 reps
    135x10
    185x3
    225x3
    245x1
    260x1x6

Warm up as you see fit, but the key to remember is that you want to warm up enough to be ready, with small enough jumps, but not enough to tire yourself out. Use low reps to avoid fatigue.

-galileo

Wannabebig Member
    the olympic squat is the squat that the barbell is in front, right?

Nope. An Olympic-style squat is a back squat with a high bar and narrow leg placement. Your feet should be shoulder width or slightly wider.

A front squat involves the bar in the front.

-galileo

Wannabebig Member
    so it's a basic squat then

Depends on how one defines "basic".

I personally squat like a powerlifter most of the time. Wide feet, bar low on the back, to parallel. In this case I want the athlete doing the routine to have narrower feet and go all the way down. Ass to grass.

-galileo

could you possible do this routine in 3 days, without the interval trainning.?
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Agreed, awesome article. I've actually incorporated a bit of sprinting HIIT into my routine before, and it definitely works.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianRocket
    could you possible do this routine in 3 days, without the interval trainning.?
    You could certainly do some aspects of the routine, but I wouldn't try to cram every single exercise into three days.

This is a fairly neurologically-intense routine, and if the sessions were too long you'd just end up spinning your wheels.

TTT: Thanks, man. Yeah, the interval/sprint cardio is good stuff.

-galileo

yeah, thats what i was thinking. Anyways great read, i might try this routine in the off season.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

v. good article, i like it!

i noticed that the program is filled with compound exercises and it reminds me of pavel tsatsouline saying that isolation exercises develop useless strength (and highly recommends free weights) in "power to the people" and stuart mcrobert saying to focus on the big basic lifts and their variations, and that detail work is only for people who are already big and strong for more definition.

maki's "big three" article on improving the big three lifts is also filled with compound exercises.

would you suggest then that a beginner-intermediate lifter focus on compounds and leave out isolations first? i think i'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate, and am currently working on getting my bodyfat down to 15% (right now it's between the 16%-23% range i think) using carb cycling while working on building up strength and size.

there is some definition in my arms and legs already.. what i'm worried about is losing that definition if i get rid of isolations and do mainly compounds. you can check out my journal (link below) to see what exercises i'm doing and have done before. what would you suggest?

Definition is going to largely be a function of bodyfat levels, though there may be something to be said for keeping "detail" work in the mix so a part doesn't start lagging.

That said, you're pretty much dead on about most of it being superfluous. If you're using a lot of compound exercises, in most cases the isolation work is pointless at best, counterproductive at worst.

Compound movements translate to the most bang for the buck, and should always be a foundation of anyone's training. What B-money is shooting for here is really geared more towards performance goals, but it's going to have obvious implications for aesthetics as well.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

cool article, well written.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    what would be a good alternative to overhead squats?

I wannabebig!
    you could try reverse bb lunges