The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by theguyfrompa
    what would be a good alternative to overhead squats?
    Overhead lunges?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Do that voodoo that he do
    The overhead squats are there for a reason. They provide excellent stability of motion throughout the body. Also, they generally have a positive effect on shoulder health.

If one HAD to substitute for them, I guess overhead lunges or step-ups would be the way to go. The overhead part of the motion is key.

What is your reason for substituting them?
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Wannabebig Member
    because the time i go to the gym it is packed and full of pure idiots that like to bump into you, so basically i dont want to be holding a dumbell above my head and have one of these morons hit me, but if they are that important i will just do them

Wannabebig Member
    also, when using a pronate grip on deadlifts, should i switch which way the hands face from set to set?

An overhead squat is normally done with a barbell. I don't have a good tip for that problem, other than to maybe hit one or two with a barbell. It gets them to move.

Switch hands to where? A pronated to a supinated grip? Or are you using a mixed grip (one overhand (pronated) and one underhand (supinated))? I wouldn't really stress about switching a mixed grip, although I know some people do. Most people use their dominant hand as the supinated hand in a mixed grip. If you'd like to switch or really feel worried that you're going to develop an imbalance, then go ahead and switch.

-galileo

Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    Most people use their dominant hand as the supinated hand in a mixed grip.
    You sure you don't have that backwards? I, and everyone I know, use there dominate hand as the pronater.
    That's what i recall reading at other sources too.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    You sure you don't have that backwards? I, and everyone I know, use there dominate hand as the pronater.
    That's what i recall reading at other sources too.
    I've always read it the other way, and almost everyone I know uses it as a the supinator. Use whatever is comfortable, though.

-galileo

Wannabebig Member
    first two days of this workout went good. felt good to start lifting heavy weights again. wbb#2 just wasnt cutting it. first days definately worked me good, felt a little sore yesterday but nothing a little stretching couldnt handle. yesterday's leg workout definitely kicked my a$$. by the time i got to the last set of the olympic squats i couldnt believe how much i had worked my legs and my shirt was soaked. defiantely had a little trouble walking out of the gym. good stuff so far.

one more thing, you going to come up with a cutting workout to follow this up when it's all said and done?

What BF is the guy in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    The overhead squats are there for a reason. They provide excellent stability of motion throughout the body. Also, they generally have a positive effect on shoulder health.

If one HAD to substitute for them, I guess overhead lunges or step-ups would be the way to go. The overhead part of the motion is key.

What is your reason for substituting them?
    I have weak shoulders, so to do this I would have to start at a much lower weight. Would it still be worth it?

Thanks for the article btw.

Great article Borris. I like the westside routine meets sports specific training of it all. You have earned a new full time lurker in your journal.

Definitely gonna be giving that a try in the near future

great article. im gonna try this one out and see how far I'll get..

Thanks guys for all of the support. I'm glad you like it.

guyfrompa: That's awesome that you're trying it. Keep us updated! I just might set up a cutting routine.

Pizdoff: Low. He looks a little bit above contest shape to me, so maybe 5%.

Starting light on the overhead squats is fine. The exercise is really there to promote stability, and most people won't be able to go all that heavy to begin with. I lot of people start with just the bar. Even if you have to start with a broomstick or bodybar to begin with, it'll be helpful to you.

-galileo

Thank you for your response and article Borris/whoever you are!

Wannabebig Member
    Well I started following the training outlined in the power look this week. The only thing I really have a question about is the overhead squat. i did that today and i really didnt use alot of weight but I felt really awkward and clumsy. I also didnt feel it really in my quads...should i up the weight on this movement?? I know all the other weights are supposed to be heavy as you can do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Wannabebig Member
    ooh duuh I just scrolled up and read your response to that same question Borris, my bad.

I started this routine 2 weeks ego, currently entering 3rd week this tuesday. I found that i have added 5 pounds on the bench and 10 pounds on the squats. Its a pretty fun routine as well, good read.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Wannabebig Member
    I hear ya RussianRocket, Im on week 2 and im kind of sore but I didnt finnish the 5 sets of 3 the previous monday and this monday I actualy finnished with an xtra 5lbs on the bench.

Couldn't finish the five sets on the bench? Are you using the same weight for all five sets or are you incrimenting up in three rep sets.

You should finish whenever you finish: When you can no longer do three good reps with a weight, and that will be your PR rate. The earlier sets should be quite easy. They're there to give you the feel for the weight.

I just said that it should take at least five sets to get there (to keep you from doing too large a jump, as well as to promote several lifts at 80%+ of your max).

So, a progression might be:

135x10 (warm-up)
    185x3
    225x3
    255x3
    275x3
    295x3 and at this point you couldn't complete three good reps with 300 or 305, so 295 is your 3RM. Next time you'd try to end with at least 300x3.
    Last edited by Isaac Wilkins; 01-27-2005 at 02:43 PM.

-galileo

Wannabebig Member
    thx Borris....

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    Borris:

what exactly would be the program that you give to the offseason football players?...I am really interested in this program and I am thinking about giving it a try during summertime....would there be more exercises?

A lot of what I would do with football players in the offseason would depend on their weaknesses. We'd work on improving those. In that way the program gets individualized.

It would depend on their overall workload. One thing I might do is drop the lower body strength endurance day if they're doing a lot of field work. If a player is doing agilities a couple of times per week, plus a couple of speed sessions, there's no need to do two lower body lifting days.

Another thing I might do with them is some strongman type stuff: Farmer's walks, tire flips, kettle bell and keg throws, sled pulls, etc. All of this would be focused for explosive strength or very short-term strength endurance (10-12 seconds or less). In the off season there's little need to spend extra time on conditioning for football. Just focus on getting big, strong, and fast. Six weeks to a month out of camp start working on conditioning.

I'm not really sure what else you want to know. You asked about some assistance exercises in my journal, just pick some that fit the bill. After your max effort bench do a vertical row of some kind. I didn't add an extra assistance press exercise on that day because you'll be doing it on the other upper body day and I don't think you'll need it after the ME exercise. A unilateral exercise on your lower body day involves just one leg at a time. Examples would be lunges, reverse lunges, step-ups, one-legged squats, pistol squats, one-legged leg press, and so on.

Let me know about any more questions.
    Last edited by Isaac Wilkins; 05-16-2005 at 04:38 PM.

-galileo

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    thank you....i am planning to give this workout a try....i shall lurk in your journal more often now

Borris, i' just got a job for the summer. It's pretty demanding, physically. Basically i have to move packages from a production line to a skid, about 4 to 6 feet away, so i basically squat/deadlift for about 7 hours. Most packages are around 15 to 23 pounds, on avarage i do about 180 packages, but somtimes 300. My question is this, would this job effect very much during this routine? I am eating well so far.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.