The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Any exercises for the traps that don't compress the spine?

I have back problems (scoliosis, lost curvature) in my spine, and any deadlifts or shrugs just cause me a lot of pain when I get up to a decent weight on the bar.

So does anyone have a recommendation for an exercise that'll improve my traps without putting too much pressure on my spine?
    Last edited by aidano; 06-04-2005 at 04:29 PM.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Weighted Dip Jockey
    How much weight are you using when shrugging?...I usually shrug ALOT less than I actually can and just hold for 5 seconds at the top of the motion. Also, when I go back down I dont go all the way and then come right back up and hold for another 5 seconds. This seems to work alot better for my traps, and since you're holding less weight its less problem for the back.

Usually, anything over 75lb DBs or over about 160lb on a barbell causes me pain. I can do lots of reps with those weights, but the problem is that with longer lasting sets comes more pain with my spine being held in that position for so long.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Weighted Dip Jockey
    Maybe try doing that seated rope to neck thing (is there a name for this exercise?)...sit down at a rowing machine but put a rope handle on it instead and pull the rope to your neck while pulling the rope apart like you do when doing rope pulldowns. I wish I could help more, but it seems hard to work traps without putting any stress on the back

It does seem very difficult, not surprisingly. I'll try the rope thing - it does seem like some sort of rowing motion would be my best bet.

shrugs

There are many shrug variations that you could try, but if your lower back is a problem you are going to have a lot of trouble doing just about ANYTHING heavy...

I'm not a doctor, so I'm not suggesting you do anything that would cause you injury, but can you strengthen your lower back and abs to the point that you have less pain? Is there no way you will ever be able to do, for example, deadlifts and squats without pain? Is there less pain if you wear a belt?

Back to shrugs - Can you do them seated? How about a trap bar? Hammer strength equipment might be an option. Trap bar, seated w. DBs, and Hammer equipment should pull straight down and aggravate your lower back less. Shrug pulldowns or shrugs w. dumbells lying face-down on an incline bench won't work your upper traps, but will hit your middle traps well.

Paul Kelso's book is a classic book on the subject of shrugs - check into it.

upright rows???
    We control our own destiny!! The weak will not survive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    There are many shrug variations that you could try, but if your lower back is a problem you are going to have a lot of trouble doing just about ANYTHING heavy...

I'm not a doctor, so I'm not suggesting you do anything that would cause you injury, but can you strengthen your lower back and abs to the point that you have less pain? Is there no way you will ever be able to do, for example, deadlifts and squats without pain? Is there less pain if you wear a belt?

Back to shrugs - Can you do them seated? How about a trap bar? Hammer strength equipment might be an option. Trap bar, seated w. DBs, and Hammer equipment should pull straight down and aggravate your lower back less. Shrug pulldowns or shrugs w. dumbells lying face-down on an incline bench won't work your upper traps, but will hit your middle traps well.

Paul Kelso's book is a classic book on the subject of shrugs - check into it.

Thanks for all that. I do ab and spinal erector excercises and they are great for relieving any pain. I have never actually tried a belt for deadlifts or squats..maybe that's something to consider - I think there might be less pain, but I certainly don't want to sacrifice form.

I'm not sure what a trap bar is, but I'll look it up and see if that might help.
    Seated shrugs might be marginally better if I have something to support my back but I suspect it'll cause me almost as much pain as regular shrugs do.

I'll try the upright rows - would a wide grip target the traps more than the shoulders?
    Last edited by aidano; 06-04-2005 at 07:06 PM.

Weighted Dip Jockey
    Wouldnt a clean or an upright row still hurt his back?...In both of those movements you're pulling the bar upwards which is bound to make the lower back play a part when lifting HEAVY

Weighted Dip Jockey
    With a trap bar you are still going to be holding the weight..I dont think that will help.

Cleans might be ok - I think I can handle anything under about 150lb. If I was throwing around anything more than that then they'll probably cause problems. Same for the upright rows.

Weighted Dip Jockey
    Yea, with any exercise mentioned ...the heavier it gets, it will still cause problems either way. Just do 3x10 of DB shrugs with a static hold at the top...that static hold will really make a big difference even though your not super shrugging 500 lbs at 100mph like everyone else I see.

Learn the olympic lifts and one arm variations.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John