The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Heavy deadlifts make your arms a couple inches longer
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

how do squats increase you arm size? if you want to increase your arm size do you have to increase your shoulder size?
    Last edited by Monkey; 01-11-2005 at 05:28 AM.

Heavy compund lifts like squats and deadlifts increase the release of testosterone throughout your body hence residually inducing growth in all muscles. I don't know the science of it but it's essentially been proven.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    is there anything else you care about besides how big you can get your arms?
    I was also wondering the same thing. It doesn't make any sense. He has no right to care about his arms whereas all the cool potent people are busy embracing their manliness by squatting and deadlifting.

i have no right to care about my arms ?

Monkey, do to answer your qustion, "how do squats increase your arm size"? I will try to answer this as best I can. To begin with, the squat involves multiple joints and muscles which in turn increase the level at which the nervous system must coordinate movement in conjunction with the lifter's muscle-skeletal system. In the squat there are numerous muscles of the body working simultaneously to provide the stability and mobility needed for this exercise. It has been estimated that there are up to 200 muscles involved in the squat.

The hormonal or endocrine system combined with the nervous system makes up what is known as "neuroendocrinology". This term describes the relationship of chemical substances that have both neural and hormonal functions. The endocrine glands are stimulated to release hormones by a chemical signal received by the receptors on the gland or by neural stimulation, which is what occurs during weight training. Ever wonder why you feel particularly upbeat and euphoric after a hard workout, even if you are physically drained? It’s because of the increased presence of hormones in your body, hormones that also influence our moods. This is similar to the “runner’s high” experienced by long distance runners.

The increase in anabolic hormone levels observed after a hard workout can increase hormonal interactions with various cellular mechanisms and enhance the development of muscle protein contractile units. On neural stimulation from an alpha motor neuron to initiate a muscle action, various signals (electrical, chemical, and hormonal) are sent from the brain and from activated muscles to a number of endocrine glands. Hormones are secreted during and after the workout in response to the physiological stress of resistance exercise. This simply means that the nervous, muscle-skeletal, and hormonal systems are responsible for the effects promoted by exercises like the squat. there are various hormones, which produce this effect, and the one that most people are familiar with is testosterone. It's been demonstrated that testosterone serum concentrations can increase with exercises such as the squat.

Squats can increase growth throughout the entire body because they use numerous muscles and this means they stimulate more muscle fibers than say an exercise such as a leg extension or a leg press. The greater the fiber recruitment, the greater the process for potential growth and development in the muscle. Only muscle fibers that are recruited by resistance training are subject to adaptation and the more muscles used in an exercise like the squat the more the muscle fibers are stimulated.

Hope that explanation helps.

keith wassung
    Last edited by Keith Wassung; 01-11-2005 at 03:51 PM.

thanks that is a great explanation and i even understood it so would deadlifts have the same effect as squats

I'm still concentrating on getting 15" arms by the time I'm 30...

I know I'm bringing back an old post, but I have a question. Are 20" arms possible while staying natural? I have no idea how big the pro bodybuilders are, but I'm sure they all use steroids. This is mostly for my curiosity, not like I'm actually close to having 20" arms.

Yes you can have 20 inch arms naturally. 20 inches of pure contest shape muscle on a 5'9-5'11 frame...good luck lol. Most will never achieve that with the use of drugs.

There are plenty of 20 inch fat natural arms out there though.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    Like arnold said....if you want to add 1/2 inch to a certain muscle you need to add 1/2 inch to every muscle

No you dont, you should, but you do not need to, you can build your body however you want.

If you have 18" arms at 18 you are probably a large framed individual who tends to add size easily but also carries an appreciable amount of fat. I think for someone like that getting 20" arms in the timeframe you have mentioned would not be too lofty a goal.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

adding inches to your arm is alot harder than adding an inch to your legs, thats all i have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by fen2zla

I didn't understand any of that. It's easy to add a few inches on your arms?!
    He might be referring to Synthol....
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    Yes you can have 20 inch arms naturally. 20 inches of pure contest shape muscle on a 5'9-5'11 frame...good luck lol. Most will never achieve that with the use of drugs.

There are plenty of 20 inch fat natural arms out there though.
    That's kinda what I was going to say.

To the original question I would answer NO 99% of the time. Going from 12-14 inch arms in a year is possible. Going from 18-20 inch arms (adding muscle only) is not possible for the majority of poeple on this planet, and that includes drug users.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

and why is this smalls? so this means now that I am at 17" theres no way in hell ill ever to get 20"?
    6' 2" 22years old
    05' 232lbs, 06' summer 200lbs, Currently 226lbs
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBOMB
    and why is this smalls? so this means now that I am at 17" theres no way in hell ill ever to get 20"?
    You're getting closer to your limit every inch you add, and most of the time, unless you're a freak, your limit is well under 20 inches of lean muscle.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey
    maybe my questions are about my arms ebcause i dont feel i have to worry about my other muscles because they are making excellent progress?
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey
    i just have natrually big arms
    So, it pretty much sounds like you ARE a beast like ryuage said.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBOMB

Hahn pretty much nailed it. The closer you get to your potential the harder it is to continue to add size, and most peoples potential is under 20 inches. Keep in mind i'm talking about adding muscle not just size.
    Last edited by smalls; 04-19-2005 at 06:01 PM.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    What is the average sized lean arm one can get naturally?
    Last edited by Nito; 04-19-2005 at 06:13 PM.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

You guys have really short arms! The average lean arm is 28.8".

References:
    Next time you reach for the stars, remember: the average
    length of the human arm is 2.4 feet, while the nearest
    star is at least 24 trillion miles away.
    B. Brecht
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

are you kidding me? I dont want a MAX of 3 inches more before I cant go anymore. Im not big enough Id like to rep 405 bench one day natural to dammit!
    6' 2" 22years old
    05' 232lbs, 06' summer 200lbs, Currently 226lbs
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

You can defentely get 3 more inches natty, it just depends on how high your willing to let your bodyfat get.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    is there anything else you care about besides how big you can get your arms?
    I don't know about you guys, but about 70% of the guys at my gym only work on chest and arms. Thats about the most aggravating thing to watch. I go four times a week and see the same guys in the same section of the gym everytime.

Not including the ones that look more in the mirror than their actually working out.

Rob1

Quote Originally Posted by qtrmilperf
    I don't know about you guys, but about 70% of the guys at my gym only work on chest and arms. Thats about the most aggravating thing to watch. I go four times a week and see the same guys in the same section of the gym everytime.

Not including the ones that look more in the mirror than their actually working out.

Rob1
    lol..
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR