The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

20 inch arms by the time im 19

i am just curious as to wether i could add 2 inches to my arms in a year i am now 18 with 18 inch arms, i want to be 19 with 20 inch arms so i got 12 months is it possible?.

i have seen threads on here about adding 10 pounds of mass or something for every inch on ur arms is this true, should i just eat and work out, i am on 3 protein shakes a day with creatine, anythign else that will help?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wannabebig!
    is there anything else you care about besides how big you can get your arms?

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    I was also wondering the same thing. It doesn't make any sense. He has no right to care about his arms whereas all the cool potent people are busy embracing their manliness by squatting and deadlifting.

i have no right to care about my arms ?

Monkey, do to answer your qustion, "how do squats increase your arm size"? I will try to answer this as best I can. To begin with, the squat involves multiple joints and muscles which in turn increase the level at which the nervous system must coordinate movement in conjunction with the lifter's muscle-skeletal system. In the squat there are numerous muscles of the body working simultaneously to provide the stability and mobility needed for this exercise. It has been estimated that there are up to 200 muscles involved in the squat.

The hormonal or endocrine system combined with the nervous system makes up what is known as "neuroendocrinology". This term describes the relationship of chemical substances that have both neural and hormonal functions. The endocrine glands are stimulated to release hormones by a chemical signal received by the receptors on the gland or by neural stimulation, which is what occurs during weight training. Ever wonder why you feel particularly upbeat and euphoric after a hard workout, even if you are physically drained? It’s because of the increased presence of hormones in your body, hormones that also influence our moods. This is similar to the “runner’s high” experienced by long distance runners.

The increase in anabolic hormone levels observed after a hard workout can increase hormonal interactions with various cellular mechanisms and enhance the development of muscle protein contractile units. On neural stimulation from an alpha motor neuron to initiate a muscle action, various signals (electrical, chemical, and hormonal) are sent from the brain and from activated muscles to a number of endocrine glands. Hormones are secreted during and after the workout in response to the physiological stress of resistance exercise. This simply means that the nervous, muscle-skeletal, and hormonal systems are responsible for the effects promoted by exercises like the squat. there are various hormones, which produce this effect, and the one that most people are familiar with is testosterone. It's been demonstrated that testosterone serum concentrations can increase with exercises such as the squat.

Squats can increase growth throughout the entire body because they use numerous muscles and this means they stimulate more muscle fibers than say an exercise such as a leg extension or a leg press. The greater the fiber recruitment, the greater the process for potential growth and development in the muscle. Only muscle fibers that are recruited by resistance training are subject to adaptation and the more muscles used in an exercise like the squat the more the muscle fibers are stimulated.

Hope that explanation helps.

keith wassung
    Last edited by Keith Wassung; 01-11-2005 at 03:51 PM.

thanks that is a great explanation and i even understood it so would deadlifts have the same effect as squats

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    I don't know about you guys, but about 70% of the guys at my gym only work on chest and arms. Thats about the most aggravating thing to watch. I go four times a week and see the same guys in the same section of the gym everytime.

Not including the ones that look more in the mirror than their actually working out.

Rob1

Quote Originally Posted by qtrmilperf
    I don't know about you guys, but about 70% of the guys at my gym only work on chest and arms. Thats about the most aggravating thing to watch. I go four times a week and see the same guys in the same section of the gym everytime.

Not including the ones that look more in the mirror than their actually working out.

Rob1
    lol..
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

20" ARMS

To answer the question-is is possible to have 20 inch natural arms, you would have to qualifiy that with some parameters-ie, fat content, etc and that has already been mentioned. I weigh 240lbs and have 20 inch arms-cold before a workout-I have posted some links to pics in the past and you could see that I am in decent shape, but certainly not bodybuilding shape. Most people tell me I look like a well built pro-wrestler, but if you put me next to an amateur bodybuilder, or even a well built gymnast, I would look fat. I would venture to say that havin 20 inch arms with "bodybuilders" body, though is possible, is not very likely-unless they weigh well more than 250lbs-and there are a lot of those types of guys out there. When I started lifting, they used to talk about pro bb'ers who were 220+ as being "monsters" and now that is considered a lighter weight.

In addition, if you ever see a guy at the gym or out in public, who is wearing a short sleeve shirt, etc and the first thing you notice is that the guy has huge arms, chances are, he has little development elsewhere-minimal at best-if you see a really well built guy, who is proportioned correctly, you dont realize how big he is until you get up close to them-the symmetry sort of overshadows the individual muscles. Just like if you ever glance over a a female and you sort of go "wow" check her out-chances are she has 2-3 features that really "stand out", but the more you look, the less "wow" appeal she has. The most incredibly gorgeous women that I have ever seen all had one thing in common-the more you looked-the more you appreciated their beauty, but there was not one thing that really stood out.

ok, I am rambling now, but I am home with the babies and my wife has to travel out of town because her best friend's father was killed two nights ago and she is attending the funeral. I took a day off of the clinic and the babies are napping and I am enjoying the solitude.

and...Maki, if you read this-outstanding GPP article, great, great stuff

Keith

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, sure it is possible... But I dont think 2 inches of pure lean muscle is possible. Unless you're on juice, then maybe.
    6'6", 236 lbs, about 12-13% bf,

Classic split =
    HST =
    DC Training =

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    big arms are nothing when on a wimpy torso. people that just work on their arms are the disliked curl jockeys. you dont want to be one of them...
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

i dunno bout you, but i started this absolutely crazy arms routine three weeks ago and i added a little over half an inch to my arms, and 2 inches to my forearms. So anything is possible! I say just hard work and disipline and you will own those arms in no time.
    CLEAN BULKIN' LIKE A VULKIN'!!

18 years old
    180lbs

Bench--300lbs (as of 2/23/07)
    Deads--415lbs (as of 2/20/07)

Wannabebig Member
    Train your back, and your squat... its a saying that goes like this.. your squat goes up.. everything goes up.. Its almost proven..

So train your biceps as much as you'd like.. you'll grow, but don't expect 20 inch arms if your not training your legs, unless that of course you are juicing.. you don't know how many guys I see who have huge arms and upper bodies, and literally twigs for legs... I mean it looks like they'd have hard time doing 135 squats, not that thats bad, but for their lower upper body comparison that is

Quote Originally Posted by heavylifterx
    Train your back, and your squat... its a saying that goes like this.. your squat goes up.. everything goes up.. Its almost proven..

So train your biceps as much as you'd like.. you'll grow, but don't expect 20 inch arms if your not training your legs, unless that of course you are juicing.. you don't know how many guys I see who have huge arms and upper bodies, and literally twigs for legs... I mean it looks like they'd have hard time doing 135 squats, not that thats bad, but for their lower upper body comparison that is
    Coming from someone whom benches what he deadlifts

I'm just giving you a hard time, I don't know your situation.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Mint
    Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    Coming from someone whom benches what he deadlifts
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Last edited by Rex; 01-05-2005 at 02:42 PM.

lol its funny how people think because u ask about one measurement u neglect the rest, i am working everything the same way, obviously i am gunna get everything to grow in proportion, i aint no curl jockey i do more back work than anything i just have natrually big arms

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey
    lol its funny how people think because u ask about one measurement u neglect the rest, i am working everything the same way, obviously i am gunna get everything to grow in proportion, i aint no curl jockey i do more back work than anything i just have natrually big arms
    most of your posts have to do with your arms and how big you want to get them or have gotten them in what amount of time.... I wonder why

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    maybe my questions are about my arms ebcause i dont feel i have to worry about my other muscles because they are making excellent progress?
    i just have natrually big arms
    So, it pretty much sounds like you ARE a beast like ryuage said.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Like arnold said....if you want to add 1/2 inch to a certain muscle you need to add 1/2 inch to every muscle

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    Like arnold said....if you want to add 1/2 inch to a certain muscle you need to add 1/2 inch to every muscle

No you dont, you should, but you do not need to, you can build your body however you want.

If you have 18" arms at 18 you are probably a large framed individual who tends to add size easily but also carries an appreciable amount of fat. I think for someone like that getting 20" arms in the timeframe you have mentioned would not be too lofty a goal.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yeah I don't know why some of the members are giving you a hard time about wanting to add size to your arms. Your measurements all look fine, nothing out of proportion, so it's not like you're neglecting other areas. If you wanted to add 2 inches to your legs they'd actually be answering your question of, "is it possible". Just keep at it and see what happens.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    Yeah I don't know why some of the members are giving you a hard time about wanting to add size to your arms. Your measurements all look fine, nothing out of proportion, so it's not like you're neglecting other areas. If you wanted to add 2 inches to your legs they'd actually be answering your question of, "is it possible". Just keep at it and see what happens.
    :withstupi
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

yah man just look at his stats.....
    Started Weight - 130
    Current Weight - 171 as of 2\18\05 WOOHOO
    GOAL - 175-180

Height - 5'6

My jornal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=61203

Wannabebig Member
    wow, I'm being attacked for a reason I don't know... this is one of the reasons why I don't like forums, is because people are fault finders, I never said I had an awesome deadlift, but I never deadlift, because of my back... your right you don't know my situation... I have deadlifted maybe 10x's since I've started lifting, and squatted maybe 20x's... off and on. I usually legpress, My personal legpress record is 1,200x3... so I don't have weak legs, just I have to be super careful for my back.

Besides, I was giving advice not strutting my stuff...