Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: does sucking at math = being stupid?

does sucking at math = being stupid?

Simple question: does having poor math and science skills mean someone is less smart than someone who has good math and science skills?

I don't think so.

I really don't think that sucking at math/english/art/logic/science/etc is any indication, at all, of how intelligent someone is. Some of the most intelligent people in the world are horrible at everything.

Intelligence has to do with your capability to learn new things and think intuitively (based on previous experience). I suck balls at English. But at the same time I can understand quantum chemistry and physics without many problems.

The reason why math and science are often used as a way to judge a person's intelligence is because they are easy to test. You are right or wrong, unlike English for the most part. Science and math stress critical thinking, problem solving, and other traits that define us as humans. These are obviously important in every day life and we often view intelligent people as logical "know it alls".

So no, it is not the best way to gauge a person's intelligence.

People have different strengths. Find what you're good at and work your ass off at it.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Banned
    I don't think it does.

me not know the numbers much good and me do good!

hahaha. No BF hit it on the head. Math is just easier to test because its analytical, there are definite answers. Quantification I believe is the appropriate term. If you've ever taken an IQ test you'll find that they do well to test you in about 20 different ways to give them an overall look at your intelligence. Math is just one of the things they look at

Why? did someone tell you you were dumber because you weren't as good at math?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

i am rotton at math (i.e. i got a D for semester grade this year) and excel at science that doesnt include math. so i excel at half of science (i.e. anatomy, i finished with an A+ for semester, with a difficult teacher!) but bull****ted and totally cheated my way thru chemistry to get a B-. i wont lie i am also very good at english and vocabulary and can beat my friends in stupid arguments very easily. but i am totally, TOTALLY rotton and worhtless at math. i cannot divide numbers like 125 divided by 7 without a calculator either. only if i took 7+7+7 etc on paper.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I think smart is a relative term. I know people who have 90+% average, but have no common sense. There are different types of smart. I personally would rather be smart in terms of common sense.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

ya street smarts freakin own.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Gamer/Lifter
    If sucking at math means being stupid then i am a ****ing idiot.

I suck at math, even simple math confuses me sometimes I just do not get it.

I am however great with computers, science, and common sense which is one of the most underrated qualities I believe.

IF you got common sense your set, think throw life and figure it out is an important skill.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Math represents the building blocks of our society, and in most cases you'll find that those with a strong background in math tend to be skilled in other fields as as well.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

i'm terrible at maths but consider myself to be an intelligent person *rushes off to use spell check*

Yes.

If you mean less smart in terms of math and science, then yes. Otherwise, no.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Why? did someone tell you you were dumber because you weren't as good at math?
    No, but a few of my friends have physics majors and they're always joking that I have a bull**** major because I chose political science.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeripple View Post
    Math represents the building blocks of our society, and in most cases you'll find that those with a strong background in math tend to be skilled in other fields as as well.
    I think that depends on the person. I know a number of people with strong mathematical skills. Some are eloquent, well-read, and write clearly. Others take forever to figure out how to say or write something and have poor social skills.

I do wish our schools focused more on math as I find it worrisome when I see the ratio of foreign to indigenous chemists, physicists, engineers, etc. here in the US.

street smarts > book smarts

Gamer/Lifter
    I think street smarts is far more important then book smarts. Book smarts will get you through your multi-variable calculus class, but it will not get you through life.

Ask yourself which one is more important.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Banned
    There is no one topic that can be used to gauge someone's intelligence. There are topics that may correlate with IQ scores, but even IQ tests are bull****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission View Post
    No, but a few of my friends have physics majors and they're always joking that I have a bull**** major because I chose political science.
    I have a computer science degree and wish I knew something about politics

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    You'd have to define 'suck at math' and 'intelligence' more accurately for me to address your question properly.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post
    You'd have to define 'suck at math' and 'intelligence' more accurately for me to address your question properly.
    That is correct.

Math includes a wide spectrum from spatial relations to movement analysis to topography manipulation. Different divisions of math deal with different points on this spectrum.

Many skills build off a foundation of spatial relations, but many do not.

Social intelligence, vector intelligence (the intelligence needed to analyze work-flow and processes...also known as street smarts), physiological intelligence (awareness of the movements of the body...athletic ability), and other types of intelligence contribute are needed for various requirements in this life.

To determine if being bad at math means your stupid is an oversimplification of the core question.

In addition to the comments above, no matter your intelligence, if a work-ethic is not established, nothing can be achieved.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Quote Originally Posted by Mission View Post
    My undergrad is in Poli Sci and I heard that all the time. It doesn't really bother me because I know I'm intelligent and I would have excelled at whatever discipline I chose to pursue. One is not intrinsically easier than the other -- despite that perception -- although, some people are naturally better at one that the other.

I would wager that most political and business leaders have backgrounds in the arts and social sciences, not math and sciences.

math and science are both learned skills. you study them enough, eventually you can just memorize most of the information. street smarts and common sense skills and your work ethic are more important than something in a book.

Quote Originally Posted by builderbabe View Post
    math and science are both learned skills. you study them enough, eventually you can just memorize most of the information. street smarts and common sense skills and your work ethic are more important than something in a book.
    Again, these are general statements depending on the application. If you want to be a scientist, commonly termed "book smarts" are more important.

If you want to be a business leader, then "street smarts" are also important.

A lot of business and political leaders pursued the degress which supported their career pathway. It does not necessarily mean they could not have successfully completed the programs which involved a lot more abstract thinking, such as sciences and math.

We really need to define "intelligence". If we want to get into the discussion of success, we need to focus on a singular career instead of throwing out random areas such as business and politics.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9