The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: does he owe it to the organization and to the fans to give up the ball?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • He should give it up because of its historical significance

6 27.27%
  • He should keep it, sell it, burn it, or do whatever he wants with it, its his

12 54.55%
  • Who cares...its baseball....

4 18.18%
  • he should keep it, for other reasons

0 0%
  • he should give it up, for other reasons

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MLB RedSox winning ball from 04 world series: Would you give it up?

The Red Sox want Mientkiewicz to return historic Series-winning ball

BOSTON (AP) -- Red Sox fans have seen the video over and over again. A ground ball to pitcher Keith Foulke. He tosses it underhand to backup first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, who raises it high as Boston celebrates its first World Series championship in 86 years.

Mientkiewicz still hasn't let go of the ball. But now the Red Sox want it back.

Calling the ball, "my retirement fund," Mientkiewicz stored it in a safety deposit box. Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino said Thursday he's going to ask Mientkiewicz to return it to the team.

"We want it to be part of Red Sox archives or museums so it can be shared with the fans," Lucchino told The Boston Globe. "We would hope he would understand the historical nature of it."

Mientkiewicz seems to understand it very well, which is exactly why he held on to it.

Historic baseballs have recently fetched impressive sums. The baseball Red Sox catcher Carlton Fisk banged off the foul pole in the 1975 World Series sold for $113,373. The ball Barry Bonds hit for his 73rd home run went for $450,000. The most expensive baseball of all time is Mark McGwire's 70th homer, which went for $3 million.

Mientkiewicz said he thinks the Boston World Series ball has more value than a home run ball.

"Those are important and all, don't get me wrong, but there are always going to be more home runs," he said. "This is something that took 86 years, and 86 years is a long time. Personally, I went through hell and back this year. But winning the World Series is something I'm going to remember for a long time."

Mientkiewicz came to Boston from Minnesota in the three-team midseason deal that sent Boston shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs.

Mientkiewicz, who batted .215 for Boston, was used primarily as a late innings defensive replacement, and the former Gold Glove first baseman has indicated his unhappiness with the role.

Boston broke its championship drought by beating the New York Yankees in seven games in the American League Championship Series, then sweeping the St. Louis Cardinals in four games in the World Series.

After the game, Mientkiewicz said he put the ball in his locker, then gave it to his wife, Jodi, who put it in her purse. The next day, the ball was authenticated by Major League Baseball.

Carmine Tiso, spokesman for MLB, told the Globe that Mientkiewicz owns the baseball, though Joe Januszewski, Red Sox director of corporate partnerships, said he thinks the team owns it.

Mientkiewicz couldn't be reached for comment Thursday by the Globe after Lucchino said the club wanted the ball back. But on Wednesday, he left no doubt that he believes the ball belongs to him.

"I know this ball has a lot of sentimental value," Mientkiewicz said. "I hope I don't have to use it for the money. It would be cool if we have kids someday to have it stay in our family for a long time. But I can be bought. I'm thinking, there's four years at Florida State for one of my kids. At least."
    regardless of who legally owns the ball (for arguments sake lets assume its legally his), do you think he owes it to the organization and to the fans to give up the historic ball so it can be put into a museum?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wannabebig!
    I say do whatever he wants with it, but like he stated he can be bought so offer the man some money. I know I wouldnt give it up for free

Banned
    personally I think the money spent on sports memorabilia is completely insane

however the reality is that a lot of people dont share my view and I think Mientkiewicz is entitled to get as much for it as he can... sure he's in an advantaged position because he's a player on the team, but the reality is that if you hit one into the stands (ref: other expensive balls cited) then the fan that catches it 'owns' it. There's clear precedent.

"Januszewski, Red Sox director of corporate partnerships" (who by the way clearly sounds like a corporate whore of the first order with a title like that) is wrong in thinking that the Sox own the ball UNLESS there is some sort of clause in the players' contract that governs something like that. If MLB is saying he owns it, then he owns it.

Down with the Sickness
    Sell it back to them for some sick amount of money would be my choice. In fact make all the players pitch in like 50g's to get it back, if it is that important. And the first death threat i got i would burn it.

i wonder if he would feel differently had the Sox tendered him a contract for this year.

other than that I agree with Cal. however, i cant believe he actually mentioned needing/using that ball's value to put a kid through college. good lord even a pro minimum is over 250k/year
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

MACHINE
    I would either sell it, or wipe my ass with it. Depends on if I really needed the money.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gino
    I would either sell it, or wipe my ass with it. Depends on if I really needed the money.
    How would y......

actually ya know what? Nevermind.

The Red Sox were obligated to requisition the ball at the game, in the ball park. Once they allowed him out of there with it, it is his, barring any contractual clauses specificially identifying the organization's rights to such in game items.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

He got booed during some of the games of the NY/Boston series. Yes he should keep it.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    He ought to take it out to downtown Boston and burn it along with his jersey.

Screw the lame-ass Red Sox and all of their loser fans.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    He got booed during some of the games of the NY/Boston series. Yes he should keep it.
    I'm willing to bet you couldnt name 5 Sox players who HAVENT been booed at some point during their stay in Boston. Brutal fans. Awesome, brutal fans.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

lol sox fans are just like yankees fans....Cheer you like crazy if you do good...mess up ONCE and BOO CITY brother.

He should give it back, the guy probably makes a million a year. As a sox fan, that ball should be on display for me to see when I visit back home.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Back at it
    For him to keep the ball out of spite is chicken****.

I wouldn't hesitate giving it back. His comment about his kids going to college with the money it would go for is pathetic. The guy made $2.8 million last year! Might as well piss on all us after that slap in the face even if he was just joking. Kinda like Sprewell saying he has kids to feed after being offended by his last contract offer.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    I'm willing to bet you couldnt name 5 Sox players who HAVENT been booed at some point during their stay in Boston. Brutal fans. Awesome, brutal fans.
    Derek Lowe, Bill Buckner, Doug Mientkiewicz, Roger Clemens, Byung-Hyun Kim

You are probably right but those are my best guesses. Doesn't matter whether I watch the game or not, I see a lot of the real*******s ona regular basis. Yes they are awesome fans, but had Doug gotten a little better treatment, I think he'd be a little more reasonable about the ball.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

I booed Derek Lowe myself He was the closer one year and was absolutely pathetic at it.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    Ofcourse if I read that right the first time, that would have been better! Well I named 5 that have, now 5 that haven't, that's a bit easier. Varitek, Ted Williams, Big Papi, Bill Mueller, Kevin Millar. I think even after Wade Boggs went to the Yankees and came back, he ddn't get booed. Can't say the same for Clemens.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Ofcourse if I read that right the first time, that would have been better! Well I named 5 that have, now 5 that haven't, that's a bit easier. Varitek, Ted Williams, Big Papi, Bill Mueller, Kevin Millar. I think even after Wade Boggs went to the Yankees and came back, he ddn't get booed. Can't say the same for Clemens.
    ted williams refused to tip his hat to the crowd by the end of his career because he was tired of being booed.

bill mueller was booed after his 3rd error in the world series.

kevin millar was booed at the beginning of this season because of his remarks about Nomar.(nomar is one of a few who i dont think have been booed)

i could go on, im a dork about this stuff.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

MACHINE
    He should just keep it because he has it. Possession is 9/10 of the law. Nothing was stolen. The sox don't own the ball, especially since this was a game in a neutral stadium under control of the LEAGUE, not the team. MLB approved and authenticated his possession and ownership of the ball. I'd still wipe my ass with it though...and then see how much I could get for it. How much would some moron pay for a poop stained ball?
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

retirement fund? how much does the guy make a year?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Quote Originally Posted by Tryska
    retirement fund? how much does the guy make a year?

3.7 mil

6'2"
    273 lbs.

f*ck him, then.

he needs to give that ball to charity or something.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

It's insanity the price these things go for. Is this a magic ball? Hell now and let's just say that they put some other used baseball in a museum and then clain that this is THE ball in 100 years will anyone CARE? Technically it's his ball to do with as he wants,but some times doing the right thing isn't the right thing. Sell it on Ebay it's the american way!

Back at it
    He was a bench player all year. The team won the world series so it's THEIR ball, not his. In other words, it should be in the hands of the Red Sox.

It would be like that guy in school who does nothing in a group project then once it's over tries to take all the credit for its success.

i think if it's THIS big of a deal, then the team should have grabbed the ball during the postgame ceremonies after the thing was won. not make a big deal over it 3 months after the fact.

6'2"
    273 lbs.