The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any personal trainers here?

I was wondering how long it took you guys to start making some good money. I'am getting frustrated cause I been at my job for over 2 months and I have no more then 4 clients a week to train. It just don't pay the bills and coming out of school don't help either. I'am the newest trainer and they keep telling me it takes time and people will come. Even more annoying is i'am more qualified then a number of ones there. Some hope maybe?
    Last edited by waynis; 01-12-2005 at 07:35 PM.
    Never Giving In.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

People will start to come, soon or later.. On the other hand WBB is probably putting you out of buisness
    Last edited by Ares; 01-12-2005 at 07:56 PM.
    6'2 206

hehe. i think if you put a lot of effort into working with your existing clients, people who train at that gym will notice and some will want to sign up for sessions with you. satisfied clients will also recommend you to their friends. give it time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    People will start to come, soon or later.. On the other hand WBB is probably putting you out of buisness
    LOL! yeah but part of the reason I got into it was to help people. It's not all about the money. It's helpfull also talking about things to keep them fresh in my mind.
    Never Giving In.

If your 4 clients start to see results that will help. Are they all women? Mix of MF?

I make my living as one, I also believe GetFit is a PT as well. There are actually a number of PT's on this board.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Btw, word of mouth is the biggest way to get new clients. I started with two.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Personally I train myself.

i agree with maki word of mouth is the key ,i started off with only one client
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    I was wondering how long it took you guys to start making some good money. I'am getting frustrated cause I been at my job for over 2 months and I have no more then 4 clients a week to train. It just don't pay the bills and coming out of school don't help either. I'am the newest trainer and they keep telling me it takes time and people will come. Even more annoying is i'am more qualified then a number of ones there. Some hope maybe?
    give it some time it took me almost close to a year to pick up on regular clients
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Do that voodoo that he do
    The area I live in is kind of a dry area for personal training, but it took me a few months to get into it. I usually carry 5-7 clients now for 10-14 hours per week. Of course, that's really all I want since it's my second job and I'm a full-time grad student. My clients refer me a lot, but I usually don't have openings.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

be more aggresive and get yourself known in the health club. I know that alot of clubs usually have info boards where you can post stuff, start posting stuff about yourself and what you can do to acheive an idividuals goals. you can also walk around the club and introduce yourself, i find that this works best when members are on the cardio equipment because they can't go anywhere. don't worry bro hang in there.AGGRESIVE is the key. in a polite manner let the member know that they need you, its all in your consultation and how you present yourself.
    Height:6'
    Weight:280lbs off season, 240lbs on season
    max bench 540,deadlift 650,squat 600
    obstacles are things you see when you take your eye off your goal

I wannabebig!
    thats annoying I would hate for someone to come up to me while im trying to workout or doing cardio, because it has happened before.

i agree i would get annoyed to but the flipside to that is what if you didn't know what you were doing, and were just to intimedated to ask, trust me there's a large majority of people like that in health clubs and if your career is being a personal trainer then you better identify the problem and start asking if you want to pay the bills

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    of course if you're a PT that is fat and doesnt look like you work out you'll probably have a harder time. All the PTs that i see at my gym that have clients are built big, or in shape. then there's this fat guy PT that just looks 'soft', I've never seen him with clients...
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

thats not always true... when i used to be a trainer at a gym there would be plenty of trainers that were in shape with no clients, but it was the one's that promoted themselves that got the clients because the average joe usually feels to intimidated to ask, but if approached by a trainer then it would be a different story

when i was a trainer i saw every member as a paycheck sad to say, but thats the philosophy i picked up while training at a large upscale healthclub, it was dog eat dog bro. But i had 52 clients under my belt. Thats when i realized where the real money was... it wasn't in the gym,because all your doing is making the gym rich so i decided to take a chance and go solo and open up my own private upscale personal training studio. Its been three years now and i just opened my first full scale healthclub 7 weeks ago at 25yrs trust me don't wait for the money to come to you GO GET IT.

yea but i think he would need the gym as a support to build a client base so that when you move over to on your own, you'd have clients to carry over. of course he doesnt have to but I would think that building a little experience first and getting a base would help first. but i fully agree with you you gotta go out there and take them and I'm all for starting out on yoru own, but he may need a base to build up funding and equip

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

your 100% right crazed thats what i did because you need exp. and funds. The funny thing is that i didn't plan on opening my own untill i got such a large client base and the majority didn't like being trained in a gym atmosphere because when your paying $60/per hr. you don't want to wait for machines or feel like your on display.Also sometimes i would get interrupted by other trainers, clients,phone calls etc...so thats when i figured that there would be a demand for a private personal training studio. and i was right.now i got my own health club...kinda funny how things happen.

hey, owning your own health club should be every PTs dream. its the way to go I'm always an avid supporter of small business

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Flexx, I'm basically aiming to do what you've done. I'm slowly building up my base and I've found that a lot of my clients don't like training in a crowded gym, especially with the New years resolutioners.

I'd love to boast a 50 person client list. Well done!!!
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

thanks bro, and yes your right it is definatly a dream come true

thanx macki,it didn't happen overnight but you defenitly have to seperate yourself from the other trainers, and once you feel you your client base is large enough and you have enough expeiriance then definitly go solo ,your clients will follow and there is a high demand for it

hey guys thanks a lot for the replies! It's a big encouragement. All my clients are women. I have one women who weighs 260lbs. She hasn't been coming in consistantly at all. I know it would make me look good to see her drop the pounds. At her weight people shed off fat after working out for a month.

My plan is to gain experience and confidence by working in a gym. It's just a start. I'am at the bottom. I would love to start my own personal at home business one day. I know the real money is at home clients. I guess I just have to continue to be patient. I just been getting down lately and I know it's been affecting my attitude when i'am training. I'am not as energetic like I was when I started. I have a 40 minute ride to work and coming down just to make 9 dollars for a half hour session is really frustrating. I barely make enough for gas for that week. Just gotta keep my head up.

I know the gym is just using me sooo I have to use them back. Make them need me and show how important I am to them. Build a good rep. I have thought of applying at another gym but they keep promising more clients soon so i'am stuck on what to do. I think i'll wait out a little more. THanks again everyone!
    Last edited by waynis; 01-13-2005 at 10:25 AM.
    Never Giving In.

If you truely love fitness you will continue on. I worked my way up and I'm still nowhere near where I want to be. I started working in a gym as a sub. I worked all the shiat shifts and slowly got my name out. then I decided to move into PTing because I wanted to make more money and increase my experience level.

It takes a lot of passion, dedication, smarts and hard work to be successful in the fitness industry. That's why I hold a lot of repsect for people who can make a comfortable living and not sell out. It's damn tough, cause you sure aint gonna get all the dream clients.

Beggars can't be choosers. That's how I see it.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo