The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Mind, Spirit, and the nature of Man

I've been doing a lot of research lately into sport psychology, namely the link between mind and body, with some interesting results and revelations.

But I've also found some disturbing trends, regarding Humanity in general. Of all of it, the entire Satanic movement seems to carry the most fearsome banner.

At first, the idea of Satanism brings the usual stereotypes of pentagrams, goats blood, sacrifices, etc. But that's not the case. The truth is a bit scarier.

Satanists don't worship Satan the same way Christians worship God. Satanists follow the example of Satan; its like an extreme form of Nietzsche-ism with the Devil as the icon.

At first glance, the ideals it espouses aren't bad, per se, but after considering what it preaches, you get something that feels coldly hollow and empty. Man is an animal in the biological sense, yes, but can we be nothing more? That's what scares me.

I saw a book the other day that I really want to read, called "The Lucifer Principle." It deals with what the author calls Man's inherently evil nature. He defines history in the sense of this evil. According to him, evil is as natural to Man as eating or breathing. Considering our history, and even recent events, this seems logical. Lucifer is always there, for better or for worse, motivating our actions.

But this "evil" isn't always so clear-cut. The same anger that drives us to murder also stimulates our greatest creations. Chaos is life, by its very essence-- random chemicals in an unimaginably harsh environment, forming cells; a few cells clinging together; a primitive hominid learning to use tools; its all the same. Life overcomes the inertia of the Universe, which is entropy. Chaos triumphs over the trend to slow and stop. That's what life does.

On the other end of the equation, we have the Asian/Indian arts. At the core of these ideals are peace and tranquility. The life essence, called prana, chi, or ki, is harnessed to achieve harmony with all things. Life is order. Yet, this cannot be. The life energy stems from the Universe, from the material things. The Universe is chaos. How can one derive order from utter chaos?

Therein lies the dilemma-- which is the way? Chaos, the embracing of our animal instincts, the ideal that we are intelligent, vicious apes and nothing more? Or the way of discipline, to control and reject our base nature, to be in harmony, yet to lose that spark of vitality that makes us great?

There has to be a way to walk the line, like the Tao, the balance between light and dark. Total control will lead to a bad end just as surely as total chaos. The question is, where do we find this balance? When does too much become too much?

Science approaches the metaphysical realm more and more each day. At this point, we know just enough to speculate about the foundations of reality, and the picture is intriguing. Quantum mechanics speaks of a world that is the very essence of ordered chaos. A beautiful symmetry of harmonics that is repeated like a fractal from the smallest level to the largest. Its very humbling to think that all this, that everything, is a cosmic symphony, very literally a song with 10^100 intricate, finely tuned instruments.

Yet we are a product of this song as well. If matter and energy are truly nothing more than exchanges of information, then we are in a unique position to fundamentally control and change everything.

The entire point of this rambling is that Man is more than an animal, despite our biological heritage. We are a part of the Universe itself, and it is a part of us. The song that is the cosmos is sung in our minds and spirits. We became more than an animal the moment we first looked at the stars and dreamt. And we hold the power inside us to move those same stars. There is evil in us, yes, but repressing it or embracing it totally is not the correct way. We must harness it, using it as it is required instead of allowing it to consume us.

By doing so, we can achieve anything and everything we desire.

I need a beer.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

"Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

And then I turned the fire hose on the clown, and pushed him RIGHT out the window.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

today i spewed my baby gravy inot a parer towel and it formed what i belive to be a picture of john wayne!!!!!!
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

Re: Mind, Spirit, and the nature of Man

Originally posted by PowerManDL

The entire point of this rambling is that Man is more than an animal, despite our biological heritage. We are a part of the Universe itself, and it is a part of us. The song that is the cosmos is sung in our minds and spirits. We became more than an animal the moment we first looked at the stars and dreamt. And we hold the power inside us to move those same stars. There is evil in us, yes, but repressing it or embracing it totally is not the correct way. We must harness it, using it as it is required instead of allowing it to consume us.

By doing so, we can achieve anything and everything we desire.

agreed....however i do think you are a little off on your take on Eastern Philosphy. The ultimate goal, is peace and tranquility, true...but it also recognizes that Chaos is alive and kickin in the human psyche. mastering prana, chi, ki, is in essence harnessing the chaos, or evil as you so eloquently put it.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Bam Bam= Freak! tuttut
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Re: Mind, Spirit, and the nature of Man

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    I need a beer.
    That's obvious

"I was there thru the ages, chained slave to their cages..I have seen you eat your own..I am the cycle of pain of a thousand year old reign" What its easier to do evil or good?? Thats the reason why men tends towards evil. I think Chaos is not the way, note that in advanced physics chaos has a very specific meaning.

I'm talking about chaos as in the absence of discipline, control, what have you-- in essence, the baser instincts of Humanity in this context.

I wasn't referring specifically nonlinear dynamics though the quasi-metaphysical implications seem obvious.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

**** man thats a long post
    "Citius, Altius, Fortius"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Steve Prefontaine

Mystic Eric
    power, you and i have talked about philosophies before. i'm really intrigued by your views on our existance. we gotta talk again about this stuff sometime.

hey matt, try reading up on some stuff by ken wilber. he's a modern philosopher with easternish views. i think you'll like his idea on the "holons" - which have kinda a link to your idea of us being part of the universe, and the universe being a part of us, and his "four quadrants" idea of consciousness which has little shades of freud's ego theory, but the "four quandrants" idea is much more complex and detailed.

no its pretty simple to find out what is wrong with humans, Humans have fooled the natures selection system.

What nature is based on is to get the best genes trough, after sometime this didnt count for mankind, and genes that shouldnt be brought on has, and now its many 1000years to late, simple.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

DL do you write this stuff just to hear/see yourself speak. You should spend as much time in the gym as you do on your LONG posts.
    Last edited by vox; 11-18-2001 at 10:06 AM.

Way too deep for me...
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by Rock
    no its pretty simple to find out what is wrong with humans, Humans have fooled the natures selection system.

What nature is based on is to get the best genes trough, after sometime this didnt count for mankind, and genes that shouldnt be brought on has, and now its many 1000years to late, simple.
    wtf are you talking about rock?

Originally posted by the terminator

wtf are you talking about rock?
    My sediments exactly. Dl has a lot of great points, he takes some of the stuff that many of us think about all the time to a new level, I've read many a member say they are atheisitic or agnostic, the "satanist" stuff deals directly with that, excellent post matt.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Stick to training debates, power. Miscombining conflicting philosophies which hold drastically different assumptions leads to nonsense.

eg, If one philosophy is based on the fact that the the universe is infinite, you cannot combine it with a philosophy that states the universe is finite. Any conclusion thus drawn will be flawed.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 11-18-2001 at 05:33 PM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Then again, there is the misperception that "chaos" as referred to in chaos theory is defined as "randomness" or "lack of orderly pattern" when in actuality, what we call chaos in this context is really a level of organization that is beyond the perception/scope of human understanding.

Which fits quite well into what PowerMan was trying to say...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

WTF does being an aetheist have to do with being a satanist.

Completely separate motivations. If anyone can logically explain to me why there would be a god I'd love to hear it. We are born, we live, we die, we are wormfood...that's it.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Because that's a hollow way of looking at things-- even if life is totally meaningless, I personally don't like to see it that way.

Satanism and atheism aren't really similar, except that they both reject the idea of God. Satanism has a code of ethos similar to Chrisitianity, though its edicts don't claim divinity, nor do they claim any reward or punishment in the afterlife. Satanism is basically a form of Neitzsche-ism with a religious slant.