Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hero

Mystic Eric

Hero

Anyone looking foward to seeing this movie? I just checked over at rottentomatoes.com and this movie had garnered probably the highest number of praises I've seen with a 94% "fresh" meter: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hero/

Wannabebig New Member
    I cant wait to see it .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Looks awesome.
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Eric
    Anyone looking foward to seeing this movie? I just checked over at rottentomatoes.com and this movie had garnered probably the highest number of praises I've seen with a 94% "fresh" meter: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hero/

I saw this movie about 1 1/2 year ago in Asia. It was great! Highly recommended!

I think it sucks. It dragged quite a bit at times and felt so repetitive. Real beautiful imagery though. By the way, I saw this over a year ago. Shout out to my Asian OG suckas that see stuff straight from Hong Kong.

I hate how America dos not get to see awesome Hong Kong flicks unless someone like Quentin decides to throw it at the mainstream. Iron Monkey is more then 10 years old but barely made it to America two years ago because of Quentin.
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 08-27-2004 at 09:17 PM.

Saw it a year ago. It was pretty good.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

ANy of you guys see Ong Bak? It is pretty good and has awesome action.

I wasn't a huge advocate of the plot, but the visuals were SO well done. Very enjoyable movie.

I stopped caring about the characters because of the repetetiveness of the scenes.

All I can say though is the visuals were amazing. The costumes as well.

I'm gonna see it tonight.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Mystic Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    I'm gonna see it tonight.

Can I come?!?!?!!

I just saw it. It was really great I'm a bit biased: I'm longtime Tarantino fan.

Quote Originally Posted by m!ssundaztood
    I just saw it. It was really great I'm a bit biased: I'm longtime Tarantino fan.

I don't really understand the Tarantion connection. He does not have anything to do with the making of this movie. He was not the director or the producer. I guess the movie company feels that they needed to use his name in order to bring this movie to the US market.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    *chuckle*

The poster above me beat me to it.

Tarantino had absolutely ZERO to do with making this movie. None. Zip. He saw the movie after it had been completed, and decided to make it his mission to bring the movie to the States.

That's all. There's no Tarantino in this movie.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Forgive me for not explaining myself. Imo Tarantino has a wonderful an appreciation of old kung-fu movies, as demostrated in the Kill Bills. To make this brief, I would not have seen Hero if his name was not attached (and yes, I knew that he had no ties to the film other then a recommendation). I am definitely not a fan of Jet Li movies.

Tarantino did not direct it. What dou you mean by fan is you dont even know which movies the guy directs.

Edit: I think you are back peddling and are a tourist when it comes to Honk Kong cinema.
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 08-30-2004 at 12:15 AM.

The studio wanted to cut some parts of it ou of the movie. The director said he won't do it. Tarantino wanted the movie to be released so he pleaded with the studio to release it uncut. They said that if they could attach Tarantino's name to the movie as an executive producer, they would release the movie without any edits.
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 08-30-2004 at 12:22 AM.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    C'mon guys, no need to whip out the movie buff biceps here.

We all enjoy movies and we all have our own knowledge base and preferences. No need to degenerate the thread.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

"It was aight"
    Hopsing Review
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Just watched it last night. Nothing spectacular. I agree with harry, it was very repetive.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by harryhoudini66
    I hate how America dos not get to see awesome Hong Kong flicks unless someone like Quentin decides to throw it at the mainstream. Iron Monkey is more then 10 years old but barely made it to America two years ago because of Quentin.
    Totally agree.

Most people havent even heard of Iron Monkey until hearing about Hero. :/

Some of the fight scenes look great and that part with the fighting while skimming across water seems fly. The orchestra doing the musical score seems good too. Will probably see it.

Besides, I'm a Jet Li fan.
    Last edited by AllUp; 08-31-2004 at 02:57 PM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

It was actually a good flick now that I think about it. My only comment was the lack of blood. It would have added an element of realism to the movie imo.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by mantis
    I don't really understand the Tarantion connection. He does not have anything to do with the making of this movie. He was not the director or the producer. I guess the movie company feels that they needed to use his name in order to bring this movie to the US market.
    Executive Producer from what I've read and seen in interviews.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Executive Producer from what I've read and seen in interviews.
    See IdaMan's comment on top. They added his name when they brought the movie over here to push up the ticket sale.

This movie was not made for the US market. It was actually nominated for Best Foreign film in 2003.

I thought it sucked. Hardcore.

The fight scene in the forest was amazing, and perhaps worth the eight dollars I paid to get in. It was like cotton candy, though: great when you first start eating it, but quickly overdone and unsatisfying.