Thread: Torn Meniscus

Hybrid View

Torn Meniscus

Well I'm only 16 and I've been having some tearing of the lateral meniscuz on my left knee, and I've been living with it for about 1 1/2 years now. I've been playing football ever since i got it and weightlifting, and well I was supposed to get surgery a long time ago like 1 year ago to be exact but I never did since I dont want to have to sit out for about 2 months. Well back then the pain and swelling was pretty bad, but now it only hurts a little bit at times liek when I get tackled around the knee, and sometimes when I'm powercleaning, my question is, are there any long term effects of leaving an injury like this untreated?? Is it ok If I just leave it as it is and do nothing about it? Or should i just get surgery, which some MRI's i took show I need but personally I dont think i need it anymore since it doesnt hurt soo bad. So PLz give me some advice or tips on what should I do bcuz I dont want to be like 20 years old walking with a cane.
    Weight-208
    Bench-205
    Squat-405

Banned
    I had mine repaired then I tore It agin two years later and I havent had it fixed yet and that was three years ago. Some days I have pain, most days I dont

Tore mine bout 10 years ago skiing. When I would twist a certain way the pain would bring me to my knees. Had it operated on and it took a few month for recovery.
    You could let it go and it might be ok for years but it will get worse.
    The older you get the longer it will take to recover. You'll just miss football now but later you'll miss work, you know the place your parents go to put food on the table and a roof over your head. I think you get my point.
    Finding a good doc helps. I,m lucky enough to live in a area where some of the best docs for this kind of thing work.

OK guys thanks for the advice, I guess during summer break I will go get operated so i can recover with no football or anything of that kind taking place.
    Weight-208
    Bench-205
    Squat-405

I just tore mine about 1.5 months ago. Went in to talk to the doctor. With the new arthroscpoic (Sp?) surgery techniques they have now, they said they can operate on my knee, do the surgery without any major cutting of skin or tissue and i'll be back squatting in a week or two! Now if i only had insurance....

cut block extraordinaire
    The fullback on our football team tore his in the first game. He had it removed w/ arthriscopic surgery and was back playing only 3 weeks after surgery, but he does have a fair amount of knee pain especially in the cold, so consider your options

I was a track athlete (shot put, discus, hammer, and javelin). I tore mine on both sides the first meet of the year during my junior season (right knee). This was about 5 years ago now. It didn't hurt when I did it, but that nigth it swelled up. Had an MRI and it was just that. I took about five days off from lifting and three days off from throwing. I competed the rest of the season on it and really never missed a beat. At the time I was squatting about 515 and cleaning 325. It only affected my lifts for the first couple weeks, but I just needed to gain confidence on it. I had surgery on it about three months later when my season was over. I was doing light squats on it (185#) exactly one week later. I did light lifting and some rehab (had to rehab because of athletic trainers) for about two weeks, then I started heavy squatting again after three weeks. I got mine just cut out. I have about a quarter of mine left in my knee. Have'nt had problems since.