Thread: Running at the start of a Workout or End?

Running at the start of a Workout or End?

I am trying to cut, so I do weights (medium weight high reps). I have been running for about 20 minutes followed by the bike for about 15 minutes. Now Im thinking of going in and doing weights first and then finishing off with this cardio to kill me off, what do you guys think?

I wannabebig!
    you should of started that way.

Weights then cardio
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

You should do cardio on off days or atleast at a different time of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by CiteCollegiale
    You should do cardio on off days or atleast at a different time of the day.
    Yup. Although if you MUST do them in the same trip to the gym, get some protein and a little sugar in between. Damn cortisol.

When I do cardio, it's always after weights. I prefer to have more energy for lifting than for cardio.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

RichLockyer
    Ditto all of the above.

Either separate them by 8 hours, or do weights first.

Separation becomes more important as you increase the cardio intensity and intend to move from cutting into general cardiovascular health, as the lifting will deplete you of the fuels needed for a good high intensity cardio workout.

I do weights first, but only do 20-30 min cardio on weight days. I do an hour on off days.

Thanks guys!

Bigzak2136
    I actually perfer to do about 15 minutes on the eliptical before a workout just to get my heart pumping and to get a lil sweat going. Then after my workout I'll do another 15 minutes.

any one wanna explain scientifically why, cardio reduces the anabolic effect weight training has on your muscles? or why we should be doing cardio after weights?
    think youve got an edge on me? think again.

Shad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad
    any one wanna explain scientifically why, cardio reduces the anabolic effect weight training has on your muscles? or why we should be doing cardio after weights?
    I don't think there is any specific effect on the muscles (except perhaps a small amount of glycogen depletion). It's just that most people are usually tired after cardio, and you need energy to lift heavy weights.

Be strong. Live Long.
    If you run before lifting weight, it is most likely you won't have enough energy to lift. Running takes more energy than lifting ( Based on my experience ) I can't lift weight when I run, but I run for an hour to 1 1/2 hour so there is a reason. I think it will be better if you run after you lift or just lift one day and the other do cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by Shad
    ***1. Burning much needed calories.

***2. As was stated, depleted energy levels which not only make it difficult to lift hard, but also has an unwanted hormonal response in the form of cortisol, and other things.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Regardless when the hormones appear, cortisol will appear and break down protein. Cortisol does not break down protein to according to a set relation to the muscle being worked out similar to fat burning (no spot reducing). Cortisol is not a reason for you to be placing a cardio at the end of the workout.

Depeleted energy levels is really the only real reason you would wish to lift first, then run. Knowing this, running has nothing to do with an arm or back workout, your energy levels should be affected minimally.
    think youve got an edge on me? think again.

Shad