Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Did You Start Lifting?

Why Did You Start Lifting?

Were you picked on in school? Did you want to get big for football? Did you want to impress a girl? Or was it because you wanted to become a rampaging beast?

I'm asking this question to see the hidden side of bodybuilding...the personal side, not the steroid plagued media version.
    Me? Th reason i started was because i was tired of bein the typical "skinny" kid. i wanted to be the best, and the biggest. but most importantly i did it to gain respect for myself. i worked my ass off, ive only been lifting for a little less than a year, but when i started i weighed 140lbs, and now i weigh 185lbs. in that time span, ive upped my max bench from 110lbs to 265lbs my curls from 40lbs to 110lbs(reps using e-z bar) my deads from 135lbs to 360lbs. and now, when i walk down the hallway in my school, when people walk into me, i dont bump off of them, they bounce off me. and i gained the respect of my toughest critic...me. being strong is like this overwhelming power to accomplish anything you want and plus, I love the feeling of being able to level any idiot that talks s**t to me!

I just wanna hear some of the reasons why you guys started lifting.

Dont shrug this thread off as stupid, or unimportant. i am really interested in hearing why you guys started.
    CLEAN BULKIN' LIKE A VULKIN'!!

18 years old
    180lbs

Bench--300lbs (as of 2/23/07)
    Deads--415lbs (as of 2/20/07)

Wannabebig Member
    Im 17 and in about a year-year and a half i am going to be going to navy boot camp then on to navy seal training. im just trying to be in the best shape i can possibly be for when i go in so ive been working out 5 or more days outa the week every week for at the least an hour.

Because I want to walk around some day with my shirt off looking like a freak of nature that will destroy anything in my path.
    Last edited by Den Fisher; 01-11-2005 at 06:03 PM.

My dad got me some dumbells for xmas when I was a young lad and I used them to do squats, shoulder presses, and curls along with some pushups/situps..
    6'2 206

Do that voodoo that he do
    To stop being such a weak, fat ****.

I'm still a weak, fat ****.

Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Wannabebig Member
    I started lifting cause I hated gym so much because everyone would laugh at me and stuff cause I couldent do most of the activitys that required strength, don't even get me started on the changeroom... plus I always got picked on, man has lifting ever changed my life for the better, and it has becore one of my favorite activitys, I lift after school in the school weight room, somedays if it wasent for the fact that I was going to workout after school my day would be too boring to stay.

Body Under Construction thalakos84's Avatar
    My ex-fiance was bigger than me. Not muscularly, but as far as height and weight went. She broke up with me, I hit the gym. From then on my sole focus in live has been self-improvement in ALL aspects of me. Being in shape does help to get the ladies too. I can't deny that.

I started lifting so I could join a bodybuilding forum and answer this question 10 times.

Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

It's All About Committment KiwiBuilder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    I started lifting so I could join a bodybuilding forum and answer this question 10 times.
    Ah, the sweet taste of success!

So, seriously, to answer the question. I've always been a little 'bigger' than guys my height, but have always been impressed with those who were bigger and maybe deep down felt some kind of inadequacy?

Anyhoo, when our gym opened here at work I just started ****ing around, but eventually decided that seeing as the gear was right here in front of me, why not actually get stuck in and GET BIG? To make it even better, a new chap started in my office who was also into lifting. We've both learned a lot the last few months, and both live for the gym.

So, there ya go...
    =================================================
    Currently:: ~90.75 Kg and BFLing!
    Cutting Goal:: Abs!
    Ultimate Goals:: 100Kg at ~10% BF.
    The Road To Largeness
    Newest member of WBBB
    "Go ahead on with it Quadzilla..." - Cocoa.
    "I hope the course gets a few more beer cart girls. Hot ones with long legs and tans. Great, now I'm excited. My left forearm is never going to catch up now. Son of a bitch." - Tim Nissen.
    "Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer." - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

haha ^ . I'm doing it because i'm narcissistic as a mother****er, and b/c of football.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

It's All About Committment KiwiBuilder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTyrell710
    I'm doing it because i'm narcissistic as a mother****er
    We're all narcississtic to a certain extent. Of that I have no doubt...
    Currently:: ~90.75 Kg and BFLing!
    Cutting Goal:: Abs!
    Ultimate Goals:: 100Kg at ~10% BF.
    The Road To Largeness
    Newest member of WBBB
    "Go ahead on with it Quadzilla..." - Cocoa.
    "I hope the course gets a few more beer cart girls. Hot ones with long legs and tans. Great, now I'm excited. My left forearm is never going to catch up now. Son of a bitch." - Tim Nissen.
    "Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer." - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Hmm, good question. I started lifting after the '92 Olympics, I was 12 years old. I remember watching the oly lifters and being enthralled with how much weight they could throw around. I sold my NES and games and bought 250lbs, a bench and db handles. Best investment I ever made.

I was always the fastest kid in my school, but I didn't play any sports and I wasn't terribly big. By the time high school came around I still only weighed 150lbs but I could bench press 255lbs and clean and jerk 275lbs. Yes you read that right, 275lbs@150 bodyweight, 14 years old, no coaching. I had no fear of the weights. As a freshman I was easily the strongest kid in the whole school. Still, I did no sports and pretty much kept to myself.

I'd have to say, I wanted to get big as a defensive reaction to being poor and being made fun of for being poor. My parents were retired and raised me on Social Security, no other income. Now I'm not asking anyone to cry me a river or give me a welfare handout but just bear with me. I was at the top of my class, I got straight A's. I was in class with all the richest kids who were also smart. Until I got strong I used to get $hit for the clothes I wore or other bull like that. After I got strong around 8th grade, it was nothing but "yes sir" from all the preppy punks I had to sit in class with. They never liked me but they had to respect me.

To this day thats one of the reasons I love being strong. People respect it. I have a deep love for lifting as an activity in and of itself. That took time to develop. It all started with a desire to mess up some *******s who rubbed me the wrong way.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachine
    People respect it.
    yeah, people always used to make fun of me for being small, then I got 20X stronger and now even the gangsters at school don't start **** with me, though thats prolly cause I have a boxing rep

i mostly started lifting because of football and my drive to be the best...once i saw those first advances in the mirror such as the forming of the pecs etc...i became addicted...and i mean its nice walking down the hall and everyone mentioning how much bigger you've gotten...but the drive to be All-State is what fuels me the most...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

i started because my girlfriend of the time decided it would be a good thing to do together. we broke up i continued to lift for various reasons. i started to just get in general shape, then i focused on powerlifting but i got a little to much fat, then i went on a cardio craze, now im just trying to stay in the 185 pound range and get a decent looking body.

I started to gain some confidence in my body, looks. Now I lift because i'am addicted to it and it's what clears my head from all the stress in this world.
    Last edited by waynis; 01-11-2005 at 08:06 PM.
    Never Giving In.

to look better.

cut block extraordinaire
    Get bigger and stronger, and mainly to get better at football

Trying to learn on the fly
    started for football, but now i want to be the strongest mother ****** in college. i love that look i get from the half dedicated guys when i start throwing around some weight. it is that "no way that guy can lift that. holy **** he can, and its easy for him. i'm gonna finish my workout real quick like so the chicks don't realize i'm a punk"

i did it for myself...made huge strides and gains and now im taking it to the next level...people who i havent seen in a while are like "damn what happened" yea, i love that ****...especially when girls are like wow you look so much different

I just started up liftin' again because being "average" isn't good enough. I want people in the hallways of school to notice how big i am and how badass i look. I also enjoy working out, it feels like i'm accomplishing something. I'm addicted now and won't quit. Oh, and i'll admit i do it for the ladies too.

Matt04
    i am sick of being the skinny kid and want to hold my own. want to get bigger and stronger for rugby and for myself.

Solid
    I started as a way to clear my head. I grew up ADD without knowing it, and lifting was the only way I found that I could actually concentrate on something and free my mind.

And for the girls.

But once I started, I found it went much deeper than that. It started as a way of relaxation. Now it's a way of life.
    Last edited by basil; 01-19-2005 at 07:05 AM.
    If you're not lifting hard, you're taking up space.
    Get the f$*# out.

24 years old
    5'9"
    205lbs. ->212lbs. as of 10.22.04 -> 219lbs. as of 12.10.04
    10% bf ->11% -> 12%
    46 1/2" chest ->47" -> 48"
    17 1/2" arms ->17 3/4" -> 18"
    32" waist ->same -> 33"
    26" quads -> 27 1/2" -> 28 1/2"
    17" calves -> 17 3/4" -> 18"

(I'm still working on these as of 12.13.04)

425lbs. bench
    515+lbs. deadlift
    450+lbs.squats

updated 10.14.04, and again on 12.13.04

i love sports and was sick of being out-of-shape after not having done any physical activity for a year when i was in university. and i was bored and wanted to get bigger and stronger.

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    I started over 10 years ago because I knew I was fat, flabby and out of shape. Simple as that. I realized I needed to lose fat and get in shape.

I look around me, at my friends, relatives, coworkers, average guys at the mall. And I see guys that have no muscle mass, shape or symmetry to their bodies. I see skinny arms and no muscle tone.

I don't want to be an average 47 year old guy. I want to be different, I want to be better than the average guy in the physique department. I want people to step back and notice the hard work. It's also a matter of compensating for what I never attained as a child. I was always smallish and scrawny and weak. I was picked last, if at all, for games. I remember being laughed at when I tripped over the ball playing kickball. Then I became a pudgy kid picked last, if at all, for games.

So now I'm doing something physical that I was never able to do before, never wanted to do, and didn't think I could do. And it's something that sets me apart. I need that.

The health and strength benefits are just the icing on the cake.