The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Running destroys muscle?

I love running. For about 8 years, I ran competitively in cross country and long distance runs(10K and 18K). I was pretty weak, but this was between the ages of 12-18. But now I lift regularly, working on a good diet for myself, and incorporate some cardio into my routine. My new goal is to cut down body fat. One way I know to do is running. However, I was told that running 3 days a week between 30-45mins would be counter-productive to my lifting efforts. They claimed I would begin to tear down my muscles after about 20mins due to low glycogen levels.

Now I have a fair knowledge of how the body functions, but wouldnt after my glycogen level was close to depleted, it would begin tearing down the glycogen stores in fat before muscle? Even if it tears down the muscle, as long as it breaks down more fat than muscle i would be happy, since my goal is to cut fat.

im poor, so everyones $0.02 helps

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Long distance running will be detrimental to building a lot of muscle mass. Running 3 days a week for 30-45 minutes is not long distance, nor particularly frequent, and is a good idea for many, many reasons. Keep running, eat more food, lift weights.

You should be fine. Provided you eat enough, running the amount that you're running shouldn't affect you much. If anything, it'll help ensure that you pack on LBM instead of fat. Best of luck with everything. Where in Texas are you?
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    Where in Texas are you?
    ianray.com
    it only kinda sucks

==My Routine==

Your body will use glycogen, fat and protein stores for almost any activity. Certain activities will increase the ratios of which are used, but generally the glycogen will be at the forefront for intense activity, and has a limited quantity in the blood, while this is present it can still use oxygen/fat stores, and some protein for fuel, but protein isn't especially preferred. So unless you are an extreme case, such as a competitive marathoner, you are fine. The amount you listed isn't going to hurt you too much, especially if you are eating well at the same time.

Keep running and lifting.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by macaddikt
    I agree. That amount of running shouldn't be a problem. I probably wouldn't kick it up much higher than that if you're trying to add lean muscle.

There's a few of us on here from Houston. Welcome.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by razorbrain
    There's a few of us on here from Houston. Welcome.
    wooo! fellow FatCit-ians!
    ianray.com
    it only kinda sucks

==My Routine==

Someone may have mentioned it before so sorry if they did: Running more than 45 mins per session raises cortisol levels to such that they break down muscle tissue for glycogen, almost exactly what mercuryblade said in another thread here in health.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

If your eating enough nutrients threw out the day you shouldn't have to worry about cortisol release. Running more then 90 minutes a week will affect the results of your weight training but if you compensate with enough calories and the proper nutrients you can burn fat and gain muscle at the same time. Which is every cutters dream.

IF your running mainly long distance. Let's say 30 minutes at a time. YOu are primarily burning fat! So fat is being used for fuel. glycogen is mostly only being used within the first couple minutes. That is why long distance running burns the most fat.
    Never Giving In.

Quote Originally Posted by macaddikt
    glycogen stores in fat before muscle?
    What glycogen stores? The cytoplasm of a fat cell is almost entirely triglycerides.

The problem is cardio is it promotes oxidation of amino acids for energy, especially the BCAAs. If this happens, the nitrogen is excreted in the urine. Overall effect, negative nitrogen balance --> lost of muscle mass.

Edit: I just read some literature that stated while oxidation of BCAAs increases, most of the nitrogen (in the form of NH4) is donated to the synthesis of glutamine and alanine in muscle tissue. So, much of the nitrogen may not be lost. However, the carbon skeletons of BCAAs are lost.
    Last edited by Vapour Trails; 01-14-2005 at 04:07 PM.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.