The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Am I Overtraining?

Hi. Started working out for 2 months of my graduating year; saw immense and immediate gains (compared to my natural size), but ended up quitting. About 3-4 months ago I began again.

Muscle size is returning but I want to ensure my gains are not being hindered by overtraining. I'm eating as much as I can and keeping decent food ratios (40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat) and I have dropped body fat since I started.

I have an ectomorphic body type.

I know I should be doing more cardio and I'm wondering if I should be going for an hour (since 20 mins is the minimum time for the body to switch from glycogen to fat reserves for energy) 3 times a week or more/less?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My workout schedule is as follows:

Day One: Chest, Tri's, Shoulders, Abs and serratus
    Day Two: Quads, Hams, Glutes, Calves
    Day Three: Lats, Traps, Erectors, Biceps, forearms
    Day Four: Rest and EAT EAT EAT

Repeat. I usually do 3 sets per exercise, and between 1-3 diff exercises for each muscle group. Currently I have elbow and knee pain which makes squats in particular difficult to attempt at the moment.

Is this too much? Should I be seperating each workout day with a rest/cardio day? Should I be doing Abs more often?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more thing: Models in magazines, vids, etc... are they flexing their abs to get that cut six pack? I can almost see my six flexed (I realize I likely have a lot more ab work to do) but when I relax I get a little bulge. Mostly a flat oval but I would LOVE to achieve a flat, relaxed and non-bulbous abdominal region.

I am 5 foot 9, 150 pounds. Starting tomorrow I am going to record my total caloric intake more closely, as opposed to just checking nutrient ratios.

Thank you for reading and doing your best to help me.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

mmm... discipline
    I think you should take a rest day in between each of the lifting days, and then maybe throw some light running in there if you feel you need it. Since I've been lifting I've learned that no internet post is going to solve your problems. It's best to respond to how your body feels, get some good advice, and eat cows wholesale (or, ummm... eat tons of healthy food).

The abs... during a bulk it's unlikely that you will attain a "super ripped sexy six pack", but it will be there for you when you decide to reduce your calorie intake in the distant future. It's all about bodyfat. Don't worry about doing too many ab exercises; you already have a six pack. Sit ups just build the ab muscles, they don't reduce fat in the area.

If I've missed something (oh, I have) some other friendly WBBer will help you out as well.

abs once a week is fine as long as you hit em good. Are you over training? I don't think so. When was the last time you took a week off? When you figure out your calories and exactly what your eating in a day maybe we can look at that. 40/40/20 is a good ratio.
    Last edited by waynis; 01-11-2005 at 08:03 PM.
    Never Giving In.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    abs once a week is fine as long as you hit em good. Are you over training? I don't think so. When was the last time you took a week off? When you figure out your calories and exactly what your eating in a day maybe we can look at that. 40/40/20 is a good ratio.

FitDay has apparently claimed I am eating 2700 calories approximately. this includes finishing off almost 4 litres of skim milk a day and 2 240 calorie protein shakes throughout the day, with a soup, 4-5 chicken drumsticks, an 8 oz ham slice and veggies, some pudding (lowfat) and a half cup brown rice.

It seems insane but, should I be eating EVEN more? I've had about 4 meals with a couple snacks in between. Judging from what I've read I should be consuming 17 -18 times bodyweight, which equates to 3500 approximate calories.

Are there any ways I can eat cleanly in a more efficient manner? I.E. are there any high calorie foods that can be easily made and taken with me? I'm working an 8 hour job where I'm in a truck most of the time and it starts early so food prep would best be done the night before.

Any help or perhaps I'm not searching this forum properly?

around 3000 calories will only help in gaining more muscle. A thing to note though. When you first start working out you see changes immediatly because your body is seeing something completly new. You eventually plateau because your body gets used to those exercises. The key to get past that plateau is to mix up your exercises. Do not do the same rutine for more then 3 weeks.
    Never Giving In.

How the hell would we know if you are overtraining or not? Different bodies can take different amounts of stress, load, ect. So...YOU tell US if you are overtraining.

Nice answere Natural. What's the gear getting to you? Dreamhugh everyone says I overtrain. Tell you something, I feel good with my routine and it has a lot of volume. If you feel good and see gains then keep it up. Just change your routine around every so often. If you find it stops working a little then lower the sets a little and see what happens.

Welcome to Wanna be Big forum, and keep posting your ?'s as you'll find most people will give you the help your looking for.
    Formerly "Tough Old Man"

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough OLD MAN
    Nice answere Natural. What's the gear getting to you? Dreamhugh everyone says I overtrain. Tell you something, I feel good with my routine and it has a lot of volume. If you feel good and see gains then keep it up. Just change your routine around every so often. If you find it stops working a little then lower the sets a little and see what happens.

Welcome to Wanna be Big forum, and keep posting your ?'s as you'll find most people will give you the help your looking for.
    Well Natural has a point. It is all about a person's own individual feelings, but as I've been working out doing a fairly similar routine for at least a few months, that might be my problem. I realize that a plateau is inevitably approaching, which is why I'm here. I typically do each exercise until failure, and I've only seen (as I've recorded in my training journal) progression. But it is possible that I'm worried only because #1 I haven't gained any weight since I initially started training, and #2 I haven't seen any big gains recently. This is normal I realize, but I am determined to be as efficient as possible with my training.

I hope to become at least 190 pounds sometime. Right now I want to just gain 10 pounds of muscle, which I'm aware could take a while. When I reach that, I'll move on, but for now that's all I want to focus on. I've been reading Bodybuilding 101 by Robert Wolff, and I want to make sure that I'm giving my body enough time to properly recover. That's mainly why I'm asking if it's insane for an ectomorphic bodytype to be in the gym 6 days a week.

Thank you for welcoming me. If I have any more q's I'll be sure to (search first, and then) ask!