The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: skinny legs

skinny legs

hi everyone... i'm 17 yrs old and my upper body is really well built, i actually get compliments by lots of people whenever i wear a tank top or i'm at the sea side and almost everyone thinks it's due to gym work, while i've developed it just by doing pushups. now i've started to work out at home, but my legs are unproportionated to the upper body... they are incredibly skinny... if u remember fight club's old threads on this forum, my body is more or less like brad pitt's in that movie: great and ripped upper body and skinny as hell legs. may u suggest what i should do about it: i mean, what exercises... or what else... by now, i'm doing squats (i cannot lift too much weight, since i work out at home and it would be quite risky, i mean i never lift over 45 kg, that's like 100lbs) and sometimes i play basketball and soccer. if u need it, i weigh 60 kg, that's 135lbs. please share ur advice!

by the way, what i own here at home is 2 barbells (1 is right and 1 is curved), 4 dumbells, and different weights (the most heavy being 4 disks of 10 kgs each, that's like 25lbs, i think), and a reclinable bench with a barbell support and legs' support.
    Last edited by Jay-X; 01-25-2005 at 10:44 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-X
    hi everyone... i'm 17 yrs old and my upper body is really well built, i actually get compliments by lots of people whenever i wear a tank top or i'm at the sea side and almost everyone thinks it's due to gym work, while i've developed it just by doing pushups. now i've started to work out at home, but my legs are unproportionated to the upper body... they are incredibly skinny... if u remember fight club's old threads on this forum, my body is more or less like brad pitt's in that movie: great and ripped upper body and skinny as hell legs. may u suggest what i should do about it: i mean, what exercises... or what else... by now, i'm doing squats (i cannot lift too much weight, since i work out at home and it would be quite risky, i mean i never lift over 45 kg, that's like 100lbs) and sometimes i play basketball and soccer. if u need it, i weigh 60 kg, that's 135lbs. please share ur advice!

by the way, what i own here at home is 2 barbells (1 is right and 1 is curved), 4 dumbells, and different weights (the most heavy being 4 disks of 10 kgs each, that's like 25lbs, i think), and a reclinable bench with a barbell support and legs' support.

plus, which legs' muscles are to be worked more in order to achieve that result? calves and thighs?!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Squats, then Leg Press, then SLDL or Leg Curls, and then Calf Raises.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Squats, then Leg Press, then SLDL or Leg Curls, and then Calf Raises.
    can leg presses and leg curls be done without a machine?!

If you can only work out at home, do lunges, squats, deadlifts, and stiff legged deadlifts.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    If you can only work out at home, do lunges, squats, deadlifts, and stiff legged deadlifts.

I'll agree here. Even if you're at the gym, thats a pretty sound leg workout. If you had access to a leg curl machine for your hams and glutes that would be great but if you don't, SLDL will do enough for you if you perform them with proper form.

Lunges you can do either with barbell or dumbbell in both the traditional step forward fashion or what I prefer to do is reverse lunges.

Squats and straight leg dead lifts are essential. You can perform regular deadlifts on your back day if you'd like also.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Sorry, didn't realize you were working out @ home.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

MilliVanilli

SLDL can be a substitute for leg curls. Squats can replace squats. Lunges will pick up any slack of not doing leg extensions. You probably could do some sort of calf raises with dumbells in your hands, or do barbell calf raises after u squat.

my advice is to really look into a gym though, i used to lift at home when i was younger and never really seen much results untill i went to a real gym
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Wannabebig New Member
    one thing that i found to work your lower leg is jump roping. this not only creats bigger calfs, it creats muscle endurance and speed as well(incase you are looking into any sports)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfootball
    one thing that i found to work your lower leg is jump roping. this not only creats bigger calfs, it creats muscle endurance and speed as well(incase you are looking into any sports)

actually, i'm really interested in basketball and soccer (and i also have to play volleyball at school), so legs' strength would be a good thing to have. anyway what i'm really lookin' forward to is more mass on the legs, as soon as possible... are u sure that jumpin' rope would add mass? i thought it was a cardio-like training, so it was good just for cutting, not for gainin' mass

Lift progressively heavier weight on squats, deadlifts, sldl, and lunges while eating a lot of food. If you don't gain weight, you won't notice a difference in your legs.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Walking lunges are way more hardcore, lol. I would start with squats though, JMO.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST