The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squat - Static hold

I was thinking about loading up the bar like 3 pps and just stand there for a few seconds to strengthen my stabilizers. Or would it be better to just stick to a regular rep/set?

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

going through the full ROM would benefit you alot more than a static parallel hold would.

Do that voodoo that he do
    This is done by powerlifters a lot to get used to a heavier weight. It's more neurological than actually strengthening the stabilizing muscles, although that would occur, too.

Is 3pps heavy for you? In order for this to be useful it would have to be pretty heavy (not squashing you like a bug heavy).
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

I have never try 3pps, didn't wanna get a head of myself and get crushed hehe .. i can do 245 for 5 though. May be i'll try static hold with super heavy weight, and follow by a few sets of atf squats.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I think most people call these "walkouts". They can be affective because I find a lot of the time when I try 1 rep max I am trembling with the weight on my shoulders before I even begin the rep.

If I were you I'd do your regular squatting sets and then throw in some walkouts afterwards.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    I have never try 3pps, didn't wanna get a head of myself and get crushed hehe .. i can do 245 for 5 though. May be i'll try static hold with super heavy weight, and follow by a few sets of atf squats.

IMO, if you can do 245 for 5 full squats (real squats mind you), then I think you could do 3pps. You might be able to do it only once or twice, but I think you could pull it off. Do the walk outs with 250, 275 then 315, just to see how it feels. Please use a power cage with safety pins so you don't hurt yourself.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I've done 225x12, 285 x 3 and 315 x 1 (all with good form going past parallel)

I think you wouldn't have much of a problem squatting 3 pps.

I hurt my back once because i was too cocky... I did 245 x 5 for parallel, wish i can ATF squat that much.. hehe. Thanks for the warning max-mex.. the cage has been my friend for a very long time.

Thanks everyone for replying. =)

OOps i just looked in my log sheet, it was 225 for 5 and 245 for 3.

Sometimes I'll do a walkout with about 50-90# more than my max right before I attempt a max. It won't do much for stabilizers, but it will certainly get you used to holding that much weight on your back.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Walkouts are useful in addition to squats. Don't replace one with the other.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310