The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Substitution for squats?

Does anyone know of any sub for squats that works the same muscles? My knees kill me so i learned to hate squats, anything else to get the same effect?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quagmire wannabe
    Were you using good form? Was the weight too heavy?
    Squat's used to hurt my knee's a bit but I found that if I used a shoulder width stance, with my feet pointing outward's, the pressure on my knee's was alleviated, and the pain was gone.

There is really no substitute for squat's IMO. You could try lunge's, but in my experience they hurt my knee's more than squat's ever did.
    He who hesitates masturbates........

There is no substitution for squatting. For years I avoided it and told myself there was a way around them, there isn't. I have a medical condition in my right knee, so believe me, I know about pain from squatting.

What kind of stance do you use when you squat, where are your feet pointing, do you wear wraps etc etc ? Give us some details and we can help you figure out what is causing the pain.

As they are explaining, incorrect form could very well be the culprit here. Make sure your form is up to par. Work on your form. Make sure everything is done correctly.

No alternate to squats? There are tons of other leg exercises...
    6'2 206

Ares you are correct there are tons of other leg exercises...all of which IMO don't equal up to the intensity and benefit of squats...i hurt my back and haven't been able to squat heavy for about a week and a half and its killin me...i love squats..

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

:withstupi
    There are other leg excercises, but they don't trash you like squats.
    I've seen very very few people that can NOT squat. The biggest culpret is your form.

This is taken from my article in my signature:
    "First position yourself under the bar and put the weight on your rear delts. Take a wide grip and then take in a large breath while pushing your abs out and arch your back to take the weight off of the pins. Now you should be standing with your back arched and abs pushed out. Now take a wide stance with your toes pointed straight forward. Take one last breath while pushing your abs out and descend back into the squat while pushing your feet out sideways. To descend into the squat first stick your ass back and lean forward keeping the bar over your feet for the whole rep, this will keep the bar in the center of gravity. Your shins should stay perpendicular to the floor for the rep and the bar should stay above the middle of your feet."
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah its probably my form. I can squat the weight easy with my legs, but it hurts my back and knees. Its kinda like my upper body cant support the weight very well.

I wannabebig!
    youll get used to it

Yeah, like other people said, the problem is most likely your form. Try different stances and see which one works better for you. For me, shoulder-width or closer hurts my knees after a few weeks, but if I use a stance a bit wider it feels great and no pain on the knees at all. Also, when squatting sit back and not down, it make a lot of difference.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPimp
    Yeah its probably my form. I can squat the weight easy with my legs, but it hurts my back and knees. Its kinda like my upper body cant support the weight very well.
    Sounds to me like your legs are stronger than your lower back. Your body probably folds up when you're in the hole and you lean forward. Work on squatting with lighter weight for awhile, higher reps and keeping your back as upright as possible. Do some deadlifts too if you aren't already.

Listen to EdgarMex, sit back not down. Squatting onto a box or stability ball can help you learn how to do this properly.
    Last edited by TheMachine; 01-15-2005 at 02:23 PM.