Thread: Train a muscle group once a week?

Wannabebig Member

Train a muscle group once a week?

Hello Guys,

- Why all routines train a muscle group once a week? Training your chest or back once a week is good enough?

- Is there a routine that works well with training major muscle groups more than once a week?

The reason i am asking is because i am strating out and would like to establish a better overall physique before my wedding in 2 and a half months (i am using creatine). I was looking at this routine (attached in pdf format) and i liked the first and the third routine. What do you guys think?

Thank you guys
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just do the WBB routine.
    Its proven to work.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member
    As a beginner, probably anything you do will work. I usually do full-body routines 3x/week and it works for me. I concentrate on a few compound movements and very little assistance/isolation work.

-Pytron

Wannabebig Member
    whats a compound movement?

compound movement: excercises that involve more than one joint (i.e.: squat, bench press, overhead press, deadlift)
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

cutting
    More then once a week on a constant basis is overtraining and may lead to injuries. Give your muscles at LEAST 3 days rest before working them again.

I wannabebig!
    if working it more then once a week is overtraining and lead to injuries then wouldnt 3 days from today still be in the same week?? if that was the case such protocols as hst wouldnt be out there with science to back them up on how it is more effective for hypertrophy. what is the difference if I do 8 sets of chest in one day as opposed to say monday and thursday? with 4 sets on each of those days... total volume is the same, how will it lead to overtraining and injury?

cutting
    ok what I meant by that is your avg. person doesn't continually rotate training by days rather they do it by week. Meaning....

Avg Joe training sched.
    Mon- back/ bi
    Tue- cardio/ abs
    Wed-chest/ tri
    Thur- cardio/abs
    Fri-legs/ shoulders
    Sat-cardio/abs
    Sun-off

Bob the Bodybuilder sched.
    Mon- back/bi/cardio
    Tue- chest/tri/abs
    Wed- legs/ shoulders/ cardio
    Thurs- off
    Fri- back/bi/abs
    Sat-chest/tri/ cardio
    Sun legs /shoulders/ abs
    Mon-off
    so on and so on

Bob was a continually daily cycle while Joe had a weekly schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    if working it more then once a week is overtraining and lead to injuries then wouldnt 3 days from today still be in the same week?? if that was the case such protocols as hst wouldnt be out there with science to back them up on how it is more effective for hypertrophy. what is the difference if I do 8 sets of chest in one day as opposed to say monday and thursday? with 4 sets on each of those days... total volume is the same, how will it lead to overtraining and injury?
    May not be overtraining. However, by the 8th set are you really going to be worth much? Wouldn't you be able to press yourself harder on the last set (which would be the fourth) on the split up chest days? Unless one enjoys these types of routines too much to change, I do not really see the use for them. Recovery is always everyones reply...that's fallacious reasoning.
    Last edited by NaturalBuilder; 01-19-2005 at 08:27 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply