The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hives caused by tanning...

Wats up everyone,

So its wintertime n i got really white so i figued wat will it hurt to go taning every other week or so.... Iv done it before like 4 times and never had a problem until this last 2 times.... Before i used a regular bed and a standing bed.... this time i decided to use the "super bed" and some tanning lotion they gave me which i used last time.... anyway i got some really bad hives n i put it together with the tanning i figured it was the lotion.. so the next time i went i didnt use that tanning oil i used some other junk i used this summer at the beach quite a few times and never had a problem..yet i still broke out again... i cant imagaine wat it could be... maybe the super bed ? i dunno but has anyone had this problem? wat could i be allergic too?

Thanks,
    Justin

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

do u ever catch any flack from you teammates that know u go tanning? cuz if it happened that i found out one of my teammates was tanning i would never let him live it down....as it would be my duty as a teammate to do so...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

but to answer your question...u might wanna switch back to the regular bed or whatever u were using before the "super bed" it could be the more intense exposure (im guessing thats why the bed is "super") that is causing the hives...
    Last edited by Optimum08; 01-17-2005 at 09:16 PM.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum08
    do u ever catch any flack from you teammates that know u go tanning? cuz if it happened that i found out one of my teammates was tanning i would never let him live it down....as it would be my duty as a teammate to do so...
    No, i wouldnt ever tell anyone but i had a little acne problem on my face so the tanning pretty much gets rid of it... not only that i kno some of them doo they jus dont say anything.. anyway im not tryin to impress my teamates its the gurls who im after..... no one can tell im not like dark im jus not pale.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum08
    but to answer your question...u might wanna switch back to the regular bed or whatever u were using before the "super bed" it could be the more intense exposure (im guessing thats why the bed is "super") that is causing the hives...
    ya im thinking that too but lol i keep tryin diffrent methods n the persciption is making my little tanning experence 25 bucks every time i got cus i gott keep getting these things filled

This could be from a number of things. If it has only happened in a super bed quit using the super bed.

Clean the bed yourself before you lie down in it. Alot of tanning salon employees don't always do the best job of cleaning the beds. You could be getting the sweat and left over tanning aids that previous patrons have worn. Irritating your skin mmk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Clean the bed yourself before you lie down in it. Alot of tanning salon employees don't always do the best job of cleaning the beds.
    It could also be the cleaner.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

I second bringing your own cleaner. The super beds shouldn't be causing hives. What a super bed is is one type of UV, I do believe it's UVA. When only exposed to the one type of UV you tan and not burn hence why they are "SUPER". I personally LOVE them. Go a few days with no tanning and see how it goes. The same thing happened to me last year I got these very small hives and it was my lotion causing them.

Just be white, beats red and itchy. Your skin will like you for it later.

Wat should i bring as a cleaner... and i think ill switch to a reg bed just in case i think the only diffrence is more time right?

Without knowing the exact beds your talking about (brand/model) its impossible to say, IME its unlikely that the difference in beds is just the amount of time.

For a cleaner just bring a towel and a bottle of water, and just wipe it down.

Wannabebig New Member

hives

Hi there, I have had the same problems in my life with hives. But the difference was it was created by going from heat to cold or vice a versa. It is called Chronic Urtacaria, basically hives! Alot of people who run in cold weather develop this and that is when it happened to me. So if it continues on and you notice that it is brought on by temperatures you might want to consult your physician. It can be managed with steroids during the episodes. Good Luck!

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    OR.
    Not all Acrylic disinfectants are as hypo-allergenic as they claim to be. Wipe the bed down prior to use with a wet towel.
    "Super" Beds tend to have less UVB radiation so the session is similar to a normal 20 min bed of higher UVB.
    Stay away from Hot action lotions and under no circumstance use an <<<outdoor lotion>>> in a tanning bed. It can cause you to burn and can damage the acrylics in the bed due to a mineral oil base.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.