Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Join the 300lb Overhead Press Club

uhhh... that's just sick man.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Vincent - please don't take this as a form critique as it's not my intent, but it looks like you unrack the weight a bit higher than most and then lower the bar just a touch at the start. Is that to get a bit of stretch reflex? It seems like an interesting idea, and since I use the stretch reflex on all reps after the first I see no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    Vincent - please don't take this as a form critique as it's not my intent, but it looks like you unrack the weight a bit higher than most and then lower the bar just a touch at the start. Is that to get a bit of stretch reflex? It seems like an interesting idea, and since I use the stretch reflex on all reps after the first I see no problem with it.
    No offense taken. I lack the flexibility to get the bar lower. I take it out of the rack at a comfortable level and then I literally have to pull the bar down to get it under my chin. The rule for the comp I did was you must start with the bar under your chin, or in my case at the time, chins.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    No offense taken. I lack the flexibility to get the bar lower. I take it out of the rack at a comfortable level and then I literally have to pull the bar down to get it under my chin. The rule for the comp I did was you must start with the bar under your chin, or in my case at the time, chins.
    Thanks for the response. I love pressing and 400+ is insane. I'm close to breaking 200 so vids like this are great motivation.

Nice thread there is a whole wealth of knowledge hidden away among these forums

I have negleted my OH press and have just started reworking it two weeks ago. Starting from scratch pretty much! Love it now....
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

The rule for the comp I did was you must start with the bar under your chin, or in my case at the time, chins.

If I wanted to do a 1RM test for OHP, is "under the chin" a pretty common criteria for starting position?
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bosch232 View Post
    If I wanted to do a 1RM test for OHP, is "under the chin" a pretty common criteria for starting position?
    I would say so, that's why I asked him about the height he unracked the weight at.

The standing overhead press is my favorite lift. A great indicator of strength.

I'm probably over 2 years away for joining the 300lb Overhead Press Club.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Yeah, if I could get 225 for a set of 5 I'd be pretty stoked about it. Hell, there was a time when I thought 135 for reps was pretty good.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

I wonder if Keith wants to join the 400 Overhead Press Club. He put a lot of thought into it. I just SFW!

Video
    Vincent dropping the hammer on the argument!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    300+ lb OHP is insane. Thats all I have to say. I am benching close to 315 and my OHP is only about 165 1rm. It is rare to even see a 135 strict OHP in the average gym. I still have not seen one in one full year of lifting at my ballys.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 09-13-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    300+ lb OHP is insane. Thats all I have to say. I am benching close to 315 and my OHP is only about 165 1rm. It is rare to even see a 135 strict OHP in the average gym. I still have not seen one in one full year of lifting at my ballys.
    I would guess you have some form issues. A 300+ pound bench should have you pressing around 200 lbs. And I'm guessing not too many folks at Bally's are training the press.

I do OHP every week with a max bench of 320 (probably more but I haven't maxed out in a long time) and I rep 195 at the end of my workout, its took me a while to not be a wuss though and just push past 155, I would be damn happy if I could OHP 3pps for reps.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Banned
    I would guess you have some form issues. A 300+ pound bench should have you pressing around 200 lbs. And I'm guessing not too many folks at Bally's are training the press.
    I think my really long arms have something to do with it. That and I didn't really start training OHP until 6 months ago. I would love to be able to press 2 plates.

I think my really long arms have something to do with it. That and I didn't really start training OHP until 6 months ago. I would love to be able to press 2 plates.
    Keep at it, with your bench where it is you should see some quick progress. Are you doing much ab work? Where is your sticking point in the press?

Banned
    Keep at it, with your bench where it is you should see some quick progress. Are you doing much ab work? Where is your sticking point in the press?
    I do some ab work every work out now but it is a work in progress. My sticking point is right off my shoulders. I have no problem locking the weight out once it is moving. My bench is the same way. If I fail, its at the bottom of the lift.

I do some ab work every work out now but it is a work in progress. My sticking point is right off my shoulders. I have no problem locking the weight out once it is moving. My bench is the same way. If I fail, its at the bottom of the lift.
    I wonder if it's a lack of using the lats at the bottom? I assume you are taking in a big breath and tensing from your feet to your hands.

Banned
    I wonder if it's a lack of using the lats at the bottom? I assume you are taking in a big breath and tensing from your feet to your hands.
    I think I just lack the shoulder strength in comparison to my triceps and lats.

Making sure that your reps start at the top, rather than the chest, is also pretty important. It allows you to build more tension and recruit the stretch reflex to start off the next rep.

This is why the first rep in a press set is often the hardest (disregarding fatigue).

After you first initial rep from the chest, at lock out, take a big breath and hold it. Engage the lats and tighten up as you lower the bar. When you get to the bottom position, use the stretch reflex to bounce the weight back up and facilitate initial momentum. Breathe out, then in again and hold to begin your next rep.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 09-13-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I have only maxed 170ish (don't remember exact number) with a standing OHP, and for some reason I feel like when I do 135 for reps I struggle... could this mean I have a weak core? repping 135 seated is no problem.
    Last edited by fpr; 09-13-2010 at 07:15 PM.

the OHP you talking about is that standing or seated?
    if standing, from off the floor or from shoulder height off pins?

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Wannabebig New Member

Chasin

Hey is any on from aus can u help me out

Quote Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
    Indeed. Very rare.

If you are a natural, it is always good to compare yourself with pre-1954 strength / bodybuilding athletes. After that, you can never be certain.

Oh, I also liked your protein rants. Strange thing for a supplement company owner to say.
    It's the truth. That is why I said it .

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I have long arms and I would say your issue may have more to do with creating a stronger base to press off of. You have to get really tight to throw up bigger weights overhead. Really just attack the bar, get super tight and go. A lack of tightness can be mental, physical or a combintaion of both. My press has improved a lot recently and I think it has more to do with the way I approach the lift than anything else. I really try and get super tight before unracking the bar and maintain that through the lift. I have hit 265 strict overhead, and feel like I am good for around 280 right now, compared to a 375 touch and go bench.