Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
I have long arms and I would say your issue may have more to do with creating a stronger base to press off of. You have to get really tight to throw up bigger weights overhead. Really just attack the bar, get super tight and go. A lack of tightness can be mental, physical or a combintaion of both. My press has improved a lot recently and I think it has more to do with the way I approach the lift than anything else. I really try and get super tight before unracking the bar and maintain that through the lift. I have hit 265 strict overhead, and feel like I am good for around 280 right now, compared to a 375 touch and go bench.
You are probably right...I am pretty loose at the start and I tighten up as I go. Its definitely a lift that I need to work on, hence why it is one of my main 5/3/1 lifts now. Last night was the first time I actually felt stable through the floor...I could feel the force going through my legs into my heels and thus I pressed 135x10 really easily. Previous week I was getting only around 5 or 6 reps, can't remember...but it definitely was not 10.