The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Atkins Diet And Bodyfat

Please advise me on the following. I've been cutting since the first of October. I'm finding it hard to stay with my current diet which consist of around 1800 calories with no more then 25 grams of total fat. What I would like to know is could a person still lose Bodyfat on the atkins diet which could be real high in fats? I know you can lose weigh, but my main concern is the loss of Bodyfat, not how much more weight i lose. I've allready dropped 11% in bodyfat and some 39 lbs.
    Formerly "Tough Old Man"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Be strong. Live Long.
    My friend was on the atkins diet and he lost lots of weight( lost high amount of bf), but gained it back ( pretty fast) If you have lost 11% of body fat, just keep doing wut you been doing but work harder. Run an extra mile or do more exercise. I think 1800 cals is too low but everyone is different. My friend dropped the atkins diet cuz he felt sick most of the time, no energy and it even affect his sexual life. He decided to drop it when he felt pain in his chest (inside) there is no prove the pain was caused by the atkins diet but he thought it was caused by it. He stopped the diet and started to eat better, a regular diet, and more exercise ( running). He lost the same amount of weight( lost more bf ) and he has not gain it back. Now he is healthy and everything is back to normal. So my advise is to work harder and the sesults will come. If I did not answer your question I am sorry, but I just wanted to share some of my thoughts.

Eat more good fats ...
    Started Weight - 130
    Current Weight - 171 as of 2\18\05 WOOHOO
    GOAL - 175-180

Height - 5'6

My jornal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=61203

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough OLD MAN
    What I would like to know is could a person still lose Bodyfat on the atkins diet which could be real high in fats?
    Yes

i don't really recommend the atkins cuz all i hear is how they lose so much weight on it and gain it back after they stop....the cal intake looks a little low...but whatever works for u...increase good fat intake...and start higher intensity cardio exercises (be it running, swimming, etc) while still lifting and that should decrease the bf%...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

People who gain weight back after the Atkins diet are just idiots. I went on it and lost 70lbs. I lost a bit more muscle than I wanted, but a ton of fat and looked much better. After I quit the Atkins diet, all that was necessary was adjusting the fat intake. I got up to 120g+ while on Atkins, but cut it down to 50g when I re introduced carbs. That's where people go wrong, IMO. You can't maintain the fat intake allowed on Atkins and still splurge on carbs, something has to be adjusted. This seemed common sense to me, and it worked just fine. I didn't start gaining weight back until I made a conscious effort to.

Wannabebig Member
    I like to explain it to people with a spaghetti and meatballs metaphor ... you can't have both.

-vasu

The Atkins diet worked very well for me. Was on it for about a year or so. Lost 2 lbs. per week for a while. Never gained it back. Ate alot of fatty foods and had my colestrol checked and it was very low. For me it worked till I was about 10-12 BF seemed to stop working for me at that point........

Wannabebig Member
    I am on south beach right now and people tell me I will just gain it all back, and that 90% of people put on the weight. I don't think the problem is with the diet itself but with the fatasses who go back to eating cheetos and large pizzas after they reach their goal weight. Your gotta work carbs back in to your life.

You said in the AAS forum that you are around 290...if you only took in 1800 cals a day, you would be stripping yourself of a lot of muscle, and you won't be happy with the results. I wouldn't go below 10x bodyweight in cals for a cut.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK
    You said in the AAS forum that you are around 290...if you only took in 1800 cals a day, you would be stripping yourself of a lot of muscle, and you won't be happy with the results. I wouldn't go below 10x bodyweight in cals for a cut.
    He also said in this thread that he's lost "some 39 lbs". In addition, AAS will help you preserve more lean mass while dieting on low cals.

Wannabebig Member
    I've lost upwards of 30pds since beginning of November whilst doing Atkins.

Also - it is very easy to gain it all back if you "come off" it too quickly. This is why I do not see Atkins as a typical "cutting" diet per se - you cannot immediately jump into a bulk or you will just get fat.

If you read the Atkins book and follow the guidelines for the last phases (Maintenance, specifically), decompressing from the diet should be a no brainer.

But like I said... whatever you do, do NOT go right into a huge carb bulking diet immediately after your Atkins / CKD cutting phase.

Erin

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    He also said in this thread that he's lost "some 39 lbs". In addition, AAS will help you preserve more lean mass while dieting on low cals.
    he started his cut after his cycle just fyi

How many carbs per week should you reintroduce when coming off atkins?

Wannabebig Member
    It depends on how you react to the addition of any new carbs, and, more specifically what the GI of those carbs is.

Before doing the Atkins diet, buy the book - gives a more concise explanation than I do.

Erin