The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

why am i so weak?

mainly my bench. i am damn near 200 pounds and I can't get 250 up one time.

my max BB bench is 235 x 1
    my max db bench is 105's x 2

i have been lifting for 2 years and my 165 pound training partner who is cutting can damn near benvh as much as me.

my squat is strong.... max at 405 x 1
    my deads are ok... max at 335 x 1

but my bench and even military pressing strength seems very weak.

are some people just born weak? i have some decent size, and that is my goal, not strength, but i'd at least like to have a respectable bench.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

"are some people just born weak?"
    Not to sound like a flame at you but yes. Some people are born weak, some strong.
    There are to many factors to say just one thing that is holding back your bench.
    The ones that come to me are: Weak tri's, form, CNS effecientcy, leg drive, mentally scarred of the weight, etc.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    mainly my bench. i am damn near 200 pounds and I can't get 250 up one time.

my max BB bench is 235 x 1
    my max db bench is 105's x 2

i have been lifting for 2 years and my 165 pound training partner who is cutting can damn near benvh as much as me.

my squat is strong.... max at 405 x 1
    my deads are ok... max at 335 x 1

but my bench and even military pressing strength seems very weak.

are some people just born weak? i have some decent size, and that is my goal, not strength, but i'd at least like to have a respectable bench.
    I don't think your bench is weak. You and I are very similar in height and weight. Our bench are about the same. I've been following your journal, and I can tell that you have been progressing. I recalled the first time I read your journal you were only DB benching 60lbs.

Maybe you're not making progress as fast as you like, but don't get discourage by it. It took me 3 years from BB benching 95lbs to 225. I know it take some people only 6 months or a year to make that type of progress. However, I'm not competing with anyone but myself. As long as I'm making progess, that is good enough.

Just my $.02.

I was making reference to your BB bench being weak in comparison to your DB bench.I forgot to mention that.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

heres one thing. i feel like i'm pretty strong for a rep or two, but i have an issue with stamina and high reps. is that a CNS factor. and what does the CNS contribute/take away from lifting

thanks u mantis btw. what u said did make sense

honestly i'd be happy if i could work out with 225-235 and maybe max around 270-280. that seems right for my size.

anyways...

moscular endurance.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

I'd honestly say your weakest thing is your deadlift. 335 @ 200lbs does not seem right considering you squat 405.

How old are you Mic?

Let me relay a personal story about bench presses. When I first started training it took me a several months to get to 225 lbs and it seemed like I was stuck there for some time. I was 17 years old. Within just over 2 years I was able to double 405. I am not telling you this to glorify myself but rather to illustrate that I too had some trouble with the bench press and was able to resolve the problem.

In order to resolve the problem I suggest you drink as much milk per day as you can stand and train hard and heavy with lower reps on the basic movements. Make sure to take plenty of rest between sets (up to 10 minutes on your heavy sets after you have performed your first heavy set).

Keep your form tight and the problem will resolve itself.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

isnt 10 mins way too long

He said only for heavy sets, meaning heavy doubles/triples/singles on the big 3 movements.
    Bodybuilding wise 10mins is pretty long. Chris is talking about strength development though.

Quote Originally Posted by LilQbanPapi16
    isnt 10 mins way too long

It's working rather nicely for me right now. Not too long ago I would have agreed with you. I recently have had the chance to read somewhat extensively about Paul Anderson's training and have adopted a routine using some of his principles. It has been working very nicely for me.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

If I remember correctly didn't you primarily train your chest with only dumbells, and no barbell bench-until recently? This explains why your dumbell bench is much stronger, just give it time it will catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    I'd honestly say your weakest thing is your deadlift. 335 @ 200lbs does not seem right considering you squat 405.

with deads it's more about the grip for me. if i could grip better i would think i could pull 405

with deads it's more about the grip for me. if i could grip better i would think i could pull 405
    well then get some straps :duh:

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    How old are you Mic?

Let me relay a personal story about bench presses. When I first started training it took me a several months to get to 225 lbs and it seemed like I was stuck there for some time. I was 17 years old. Within just over 2 years I was able to double 405. I am not telling you this to glorify myself but rather to illustrate that I too had some trouble with the bench press and was able to resolve the problem.

In order to resolve the problem I suggest you drink as much milk per day as you can stand and train hard and heavy with lower reps on the basic movements. Make sure to take plenty of rest between sets (up to 10 minutes on your heavy sets after you have performed your first heavy set).

Keep your form tight and the problem will resolve itself.

i am 22. i've been lifting for 2 years. i just got 225 for the first time about 4 months ago. one thing is, i never really lift with the BB. i have DB pressed for the vast majority of the time i've lifted. my DB bench isn't terrible. i rep 85's or 90's and max at 105's x 2.

but over the last few months, since i've had a spotter, i've started using the BB. maybe i'm b-tching for no reason, but it just seems like i should be much stronger when you look at me. if i saw me, i would think i benched at least 250 for reps.

i'm gonna keep at it, but i'm gonna be cutting soon.

Chris - are u and have u always been natural? have u ever tried PH's or anything else?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

i am 22. i've been lifting for 2 years. i just got 225 for the first time about 4 months ago. one thing is, i never really lift with the BB. i have DB pressed for the vast majority of the time i've lifted. my DB bench isn't terrible. i rep 85's or 90's and max at 105's x 2.

but over the last few months, since i've had a spotter, i've started using the BB. maybe i'm b-tching for no reason, but it just seems like i should be much stronger when you look at me. if i saw me, i would think i benched at least 250 for reps.

i'm gonna keep at it, but i'm gonna be cutting soon.

Chris - are u and have u always been natural? have u ever tried PH's or anything else?

I'm pretty sure he did a cycle when he was younger, but now regrets it

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    well then get some straps :duh:

honestly, i don't deadlift more than twice per month. i LOVE deadlifting but i also play a lot of bball and other athletic stuff and deads have always left my back so stiff and sore than i can't hardly walk for a couple days, much less run and jump. i try to do them every other back workout or so, but i don't do them as often as i probably should.

but i do need to get some straps. i usually workout with 225 and do higher reps.

with squats i work out with 235-345 for 8-10 reps.

honestly, i don't deadlift more than twice per month. i LOVE deadlifting but i also play a lot of bball and other athletic stuff and deads have always left my back so stiff and sore than i can't hardly walk for a couple days, much less run and jump. i try to do them every other back workout or so, but i don't do them as often as i probably should.

but i do need to get some straps. i usually workout with 225 and do higher reps.

with squats i work out with 235-345 for 8-10 reps.
    cool, I thought you were the type to say that "straps are for pussies" or "straps take away from the lift" or some stupid thing like that.

And I agree with you about the deadlifting to an extent. When I DL for the first time in a while I can't walk the next few days. But, once you get into the habit of DLing once a week (my preference) you won't really get sore at all.

oh, and BTW, your farts cant hold a candle to mine

lmao @ the fart thing.

they should have a a protein fart comp at Mr. O or the Arnold Weekend.

I may start DLing every week and give it a shot. It's certainly a lift I enjoy doing. I actually enjoy the big 3 more than anything else. Squatting may be my favorite, which is funny since I used to HATE it.

Banned
    I'm the opposite of you,if you saw me you would think I bench at the most 350,but I bench 455. The secret to a powerful bench is to really work out with intensity when you workout with the bench press. Make sure you get really sore. Alot of people think they work out hard,but they are just fooling themselves,you have to push your body to the limit,without injuring yourself and without overtraining. Make sure you are eating plenty,take some creatine,make sure you drink plenty of water ,you want to hold as much water as possible in the muscle,on bench day. Make sure you rest,rest,rest,this is probably the most important thing for a big bench,being very well rested. Another thing,if you want to increase your bench press quickly,adopt a powerlifting technic,instead of a bodybuilding technic. Use a weightlifting belt,tight around your lower stomach,soon you'll be benching 250 and more.

Don't kid yourself, your not weak at all man..
    6'2 206

You're not weak at all, and I think personally you're just in a small rut in a long road of power. That's what I think, because based on what you've posted and how you strike me, you're a smart guy. This won't hold you back. You've got your friends here to help you and your determination. Do what Chris said, get plenty of rest, drink that milk, and go hard come bench day. Don't judge your success by the weight, judge it by your determination and how much you achieved based on your EFFORT. Then the weights will come.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

thanks a lot fellas

some great advice. I think one problem is i dont drink much water anymore. probably less than 1/4 gallon per day.

i am to busy drinking milk, which i drink 1/2 to whole gallon of per day
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal: