The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 140 lbs. to ?

Wannabebig Member

140 lbs. to ?

Here I go, this time for real.. Actually hit the gym for the first time today and I am not stopping.

Stats:
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140 lbs.
    Bodyfat %: Somewhere between 10-15% probably

I'm a seriously skinny dude. I have practically no muscle development on my shoulders or upper chest...very bony up there, looks terrible in a t-shirt. Very thin forearms and small wrists. Left bicep is noticeably weaker than my right bicep and smaller as well (played tennis for years as a righty, I assume this is why).

Going to do a 4-day split... Back/Bi's, Chest/Tri's, Legs, Shoulders

Today was Back/Bicep day. I was mostly concerned about form and not killing myself so I could have lifted a bit more on these, especially the deadlift which I enjoyed.

Pull-ups - 2 sets of 8 and 7 reps w/ 10lb assistance
    Deadlifts - 115x8, 115x7
    Bent-over barbell row - 85x7, 85x6
    Shrugs - used 45's should have used more, did 8 reps
    Dumbell curls - my arms felt so dead...20x8, 20x6
    Hammer curls - ugh...20x6

I hate bent-over barbell rows and am going to replace them with dumbell rows. It really is disgusting how weak I am and felt at the gym.

I am aiming for 6 meals today but since my diet was so horrible before this and my caloric intake so low, I will probably max out at 5. I'll be having eggs, 2 cans of tuna, and 2 shakes w/ a carb source like oatmeal or pasta, and 3 tbsp of flax throughout the day. I had a dextrose spiked kool-aid drink w/ creatine after workout.

Eating is going to be very hard for me but I'm going to work my ass off to get some results. A lot of my depression lately has to do with my size (or lack thereof) and I am never going to snap out of it unless I do something about it. I just sincerely hope I can discipline myself enough to do this.

Keep me motivated guys, please

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good luck m8!
    Feel free to ask anything.

i think you should have a routine and a diet posted on here so we can make suggestions

" lot of my depression lately has to do with my size (or lack thereof) and I am never going to snap out of it unless I do something about it. I just sincerely hope I can discipline myself enough to do this."

Man, that was my problem, only it wasn't my lack of size that was my problem.

it involves a lot of sacrifice, dedication and effort but you also gotta find the fine line between obsession and enjoyment - always make time for you friends, even if it is less time then it was - if they are true friends then they will understand and support you [some of mine were not.] And never forget why you started in the first place - once you've built your frame you gotta enjoy it and be a pimp baby yeah!
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Good luck man! We'll be expecting you to update regularly and ask us questions to help ya along. Just remember, you won't get bigger without eating sufficiently.

Also, I like your exercise selection for that workout. Good, compound movements. Great way to start off.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the comments and offers to help guys. My diet is pretty simple, nothing elaborate. Basically, I'm aiming for 6 meals a day, a protein and complex carb each meal.

So for example and i might not adhere to this exactly in the same order every day..

Meal 1:
    4 eggs
    3/4 cup oatmeal

Meal 2:
    Shake
    3/4 cup oatmeal
    1 tbs. flax

Meal 3:
    Can of tuna
    1 cup pasta

Meal 4:
    Shake
    1 cup pasta
    1tbs flax.

Meal 5:
    Can of tuna
    3/4 cup oatmeal

Meal 6:
    Burger, chicken, fish fillets, something different for dinner
    A baked potato or something
    1 tbs. flax

Lots of water..

My workout will be the WannaBebig routine just split into 4 days instead of 3.

Monday: Back/Bi's
    Wednesday: Chest/Tri's
    Friday: Legs
    Sunday: Shoulders

Wannabebig Member
    Diet yesterday ended up not working out as I had hoped it would. I was so sore and tired from the workout, I napped 2 hours during the day and then fell asleep at 10pm, missing my last meal. My last 2 meals actually. Only got 4 in. All in all though, I ate a helluva lot more healthy than I would on a normal day, and I ate a helluva lot more than I normally would so I suppose it isn't all bad news.

I am aiming for 6 meals today, already polished off 1, but I'll be satisfied with 5. I am going to have to work up to this. Tough to explain just how bad my diet was before I started this.

Wannabebig Member
    Headed to the gym in about an hour for chest/triceps.

My lower back is finally starting to recover, no where near as much soreness as the past 2 days. I still can't straighten my damn arms though and my biceps are incredibly sore. I had no idea I hit them so hard. Only did 3 sets of curls, guess the pullups and rows really nailed them.

I'll let everyone know how today goes.. Diet yesterday wasn't too bad, got 5 meals in up from 4 the first day. Aiming for 6 today as usual but I'll still be happy with 5.

Wannabebig Member
    Chest/Tricep day went well. I really enjoyed myself at the gym.

Flat barbell bench: 95x8, 95x6
    (yes, only 95 lbs :P my friend that started with me did the same weight so I don't feel so bad. I guess we all have to start somewhere)

Incline dumbbell press: 25x13, 25x6, 20x8
    (25 as in 25lb. dumbbells...went to failure on the first set, should have used more weight. this first week is a learning experience tho, so I'll know for next time)

Dips: did 3 sets of 15, 8, 6 reps
    (had to increase the assistance each time. love this exercise.)

Now at this point my triceps were burning like hell so I decided to lay off the tricep isolation exercises because I think I overworked my biceps by doing that. I did a set of tricep extensions on a machine and that was it. I did not want my arms crippled for the next 3 days.

I can't wait for my arms to catch up because I think they are a huge limiting factor for me when doing chest and back exercises thus far.

Diet going well so far today..

Yes, we all start somewhere. I remember doing sets with 60 lbs when I started.

That workout looks really good. You are definitely off to the right start.
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by kwx1
    .....I still can't straighten my damn arms though and my biceps are incredibly sore. I had no idea I hit them so hard. Only did 3 sets of curls, guess the pullups and rows really nailed them......
    Dont ya love that feeling!! Ya doing pullups and rows hits the biceps hard. Try to concentrate on your lats more, or pulling with your elbows. Seems to help me get a better back workout, might be all in my head!!

Oh ya....wait until you get to leg day!! Have fun walking up/down the stairs!! Remember to STRETCH and warmup properly....

later
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Wannabebig Member
    Quick question guys..

I put a 35lb plate on each side of the bar and got in the squat rack just to see how it would feel on my shoulders for leg day.. Sure enough my shoulders and upper back are just far too bony to throw the bar on there...it hurt like hell.

Can I use a beach towel as padding or something to alleviate that until I am bulky enough to squat without that pain?

Thanks..

You could, but if possible I wouldn't.

Where did you place the bar? I can hold heavier weight with more comfort if I don't have them real high up. Lower on the back, resting across the rear delts. You just have to set it in that groove and tighten everything up.

When I do high bar squats it sits up on my traps pretty much.
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by LATMAN
    You could, but if possible I wouldn't.

Where did you place the bar? I can hold heavier weight with more comfort if I don't have them real high up. Lower on the back, resting across the rear delts. You just have to set it in that groove and tighten everything up.

When I do high bar squats it sits up on my traps pretty much.
    I tried placing it just about everywhere but was still getting bar on bone.. When I say I have bony shoulders I'm talking really bony Definitely my weakest body part. I will try a few positions Friday when I do legs but if I can't avoid it I'll just have to use the towel as padding.

Like Latty said the lower the bar the better. I like to squeeze my shoulder blades together and give a little muscle (padding) for the bar to rest on. If ya cant find a comfortable point for you to rest the bar on then use a towel or something. Most gyms have one of those pads with a slit in it to place around the bar for bony people like you!!! jk.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Now the other important thing is to meat up that upper back/shoulder region. If someone can teach you power cleans, those would be excellent. Other than that a ton of heavy(relative term) shoulder and lat/trap work and you're set.
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig Member
    Hmm.. can you give me a brief description of power cleans? No one at my gym will have a clue, besides bench pressing and using machines, I haven't seen one guy do anything else.

It was hilarious on Monday when they were watching this tiny guy (me) deadlift.. I saw them giggling to themselves through the mirror. Oh how I hope they are there 6 months from now..

Hell yah,
    you sound like one badass dude, Keep that attitude and you'll
    be eventually be hyooooge. Just thinking you might want to eat more, just keep eating until till the point you gain at a descent rate and keep it, and if you stop gaining eat more. Keep up the good work bro.

Wannabebig Member
    Diet yesterday worked out pretty well. I got 5 meals in but cheated a little bit and had 2 beers when I went out for my friend's 22nd birthday.

I guess I should slap myself but I can't let this overtake my whole life, although I can see how some become addicted and obsessed. I just can't wait to get to the gym tomorrow..

Amazing what this is doing to my appetite. I just plowed down more turkey, mashed potatos, and corn than anyone in my family and got some strange looks and comments in the process. I love it.

Wannabebig Member

Damnit

Major setback for me today.. today was leg day and the school gym is closed till Monday. Anyway, I have a bench at home so I figured what the hell, I'll at least try and get something in. I had no spotter though, so I used light weights...things went pretty crappy.

Squats: 12x105, 12x105 .. what a nice burn...would have done another set if I had a spotter, but it was hard enough to get the bar back on the holders.

Tried hack squats but there was no way I could balance myself. Every time I lowered the bar down to the floor it would drag me to the point where I'd almost have to fall over.

SLDLs: Now, my lower back took an asskicking on Monday when I did deadlifts and I was in a lot of pain for days, so I figured I would take this extremely easy until my lower back muscles strengthen enough to not be crippled the day after. I only did 2 sets, 12 reps each of 50 lbs. Could have lifted a lot more, but regardless, my lower back is still feeling it after lifting only that much.

I couldn't do leg extensions or leg curls because I don't have the equipment, so this was a relatively pointless leg day. I'm frustrated about it, but there's nothing I can do. I'm supposed to do shoulders on Sunday but I can do those at my house relatively easily. I'm going to stick with 3 exercises - military press, dumbell press, and lateral raises ... anyone have any suggestions for a 4th exercise?

Diet went great on Thanksgiving, and going well so far today.

Wannabebig Member
    Shoulders!

I was ill yesterday so I did not workout... my diet suffered a bit as well, but I did as best I could.

So here I am...Monday...have to catch up. Going to do back/bicep Tuesday, rest Wednesday, do chest/triceps Thursday, legs Friday .. maybe I'll just start doing the Mon/Tues, Thurs/Fri split.

Anyway my shoulders are definitely my weakest bodypart along with my upper chest. So, this was a difficult workout for me considering how ridiculously weak these muscle groups are.

Miltary press - 2 work sets, 10x60, 8x55 <- don't like this barbell crap

Overhead dumbbell press - 3 work sets, damn my shoulders are weak, 10x20 (20 lb dumbbells), 12x15, 10x15 <- I enjoyed these

Side lateral raises - 3 work sets, 6x15, 12x10, 10x10

They are adjustable dumbbells, and the little bar weighs 3 pounds, so it was 13 pounds damnit not 10! Sad, isn't it? Still got a good pump in my shoulders despite the pitiful weight.

I'm up to 145 lbs, my upper body definitely has a little more mass to it whether it be the pump or a little more fat or maybe even a little muscle. I'm filling out shirts a little better, even got a few compliments. This is going really well so far

Wannabebig Member
    Chest day..

Flat bench - 100x4, 95x5
    Incline dumbbell - 25x12, 25x8, 20x8
    Dips - 8,8,6 w/ assistance

I have a slight cold and this was right after shoulder day so maybe thats why my lifts didn't improve much. I also didn't have my spotter today. I was frustrated as hell I couldn't get 100 up on the flat bench more than 4 times after doing 95x8 and 95x6 last week.

My schedule is kinda screwy, I'm going to do back tomorrow maybe I'd be better off waiting till Thurs ... should have done it today but wanted to fill out this shirt today for a lunch date with a girl I'd like to marry

Anyway, I'm just going to assume the shoulder workout yesterday diminished my chest strength a little today. I'm eating like a cow so I don't think that is the problem..

Wannabebig Member

update

Hey guys, been nearly 3 months now since I've updated here. Yes, of course, I slacked incredibly during most of those 3 months w/ Christmas, New Years, my birthday, etc, etc, but I've actually made some decent progress.

Up to 153 lbs. now, and I'm definitely looking a lot better. I actually wore a somewhat tight shirt out the other night, holy crap how odd that was, but I got complimented, so it was sweet

All my lifts are up a bit, and I guess I'll start posting again here again once I get back into a steady routine.

Wannabebig Member
    Did some chest yesterday..

Flat barbell 125x2, 115x4, 105x6 - that is a decent improvement I think from my 100x4, 95x5 or whatever it was. My goal is still to get a meager 135 up for a decent # of reps.

Incline dumbbell 30x12, 30x10, 30x8 .. definitely time to up this weight a bit.

That's all I did yesterday, as I'm trying to ease back into a real routine.

Wannabebig Member
    I did a 1RM of 150 lbs on the bench yesterday and got 135 up for 2 reps .. huge improvement I'm sure from what I would have been able to do a few months ago.

Weight hovering aroudn 154-156 lbs...and rising. Unfortunately, I had mono this past month and wasn't able to do much of anything.

I'm destined for slow progress I guess.