Thread: Elaborate home gyms + gym membership?

Wannabebig Member

Elaborate home gyms + gym membership?

This is my home gym setup. The images are from the websites of the companies that make the equipment.

The bench also has a preacher curl and leg curl/extension attachment not shown in the image.

I also have an Ivanko 7' olympic bar, 365lbs of rubber/urethane olympic weights and a Hampton EZ curl bar.

I'm thinking of cancelling my gym membership now that I have this setup at home. I can do pretty much everything that I normally do at the gym at home now with a few exceptions. I can't do pectoral flys since I don't have dumbells. I've never liked buying dumbells because they're not very extensible and I know I'd outgrow them eventually. Also, the only things I can do for my back at home are bent over barbell rows, chinups/pullups and deadlifts. As far as legs go, I'm not sure what I can do for my calves. I suppose I could hold the barbell and lift myself off the ground. Are those as effective as the usual calf machines found in gyms? I also do squats and leg curls right now.

How many of you guys have gyms at home and also workout in the gym? The only reason I can think of keeping my gym membership is for the fact that I can do cardio in the gym but not at home. Maybe I should get a treadmill too. Then I'd really be set.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bc2004; 01-23-2005 at 11:01 AM.

Banned
    damn you are looking huge in that pic...hahah... i have both an elaborate home gym plus a gym membership because i like to go to the gym sometimes because they have some machines that i dont have, plus i dont like benching and squatting on my smith machine

Banned
    I have just bought a rack and weights etc for my home gym.. That is a solid looking rack, mine is about 1/2 as thick lol.

I would say buy some olympic dumbells (i already own 2)... You can slide on your oly plates as you see fit. My dumbells could hold 280lbs each if i wanted lol

Quote Originally Posted by bc2004
    Also, the only things I can do for my back at home are bent over barbell rows, chinups/pullups and deadlifts.
    You don't need anything else.

If you really need to do flys, invest in some gymnastics style rings. For $50 or less, you can do flies, pushups, dips, pullups, etc.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    You don't need anything else.

If you really need to do flys, invest in some gymnastics style rings. For $50 or less, you can do flies, pushups, dips, pullups, etc.

I never thought of that

Could i do weighted dips on gymnastic rings and make some good tricep gain?? Wouldnt it be 100000 times harder?? I need to buy a dip station as well but this is a new avenue

I would just buy the adjustable dumbells. There's a lot you can do with them, and they're cheap. Just get some at wal-mart with the threaded spinners, and the plates are only a couple bucks each. I just buy as I need them, and I've amassed wuite a bit of plates in 5 months since I started.

I've got about 250 dollars in an adjustable dumbell bench, curl bar, dumbells, 2 25lb plates, 12 10lbs, and 14 2 1/2lbs..also a 300lb olympic bar and weights set..that pretty mch lets me get it all done..all i need is a rack and i'm all set. If I were you, I'd just go for the dumbells. They're nice to bench with sometimes, or even all the time like I do.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSonic
    Could i do weighted dips on gymnastic rings and make some good tricep gain?? Wouldnt it be 100000 times harder?? I need to buy a dip station as well but this is a new avenue
    Ring dips are incredibly hard. They're at least equivalent in difficulty as bw+45 on fixed bars.

Rings are much cheaper than a dip station! The most commonly used ring system is from http://www.ringtraining.com/ but I'm poor so I made my own for around $25 with PVC and tubular webbing.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the responses guys..

can u guys recommend exercises for my calves that i can do at home with the equipment i have? my calves are incredibly skinny and i really want to build them up..

i'll look into getting the adjustable dumbells that take olympic weights...after i get bored of doing regular benching for a while..

Just get a 2x4 to use as a calf block and you can do standing an seated calf raises with your barbell.

right now, i'm just doing one-leg calf raises with the other foot behind my raising foot's ankle for balance...i can only do about 18 of those on the first set with only my bodyweght, and my calfs are 19" around, with not a whole lot of bodyfat to help the measurement.

Banned
    Ring dips are incredibly hard. They're at least equivalent in difficulty as bw+45 on fixed bars.

Rings are much cheaper than a dip station! The most commonly used ring system is from http://www.ringtraining.com/ but I'm poor so I made my own for around $25 with PVC and tubular webbing.

Cool i will have to look into this.. I dont know about mounting with BW+extralbs... How do you do it??

Just get a 2x4 to use as a calf block and you can do standing an seated calf raises with your barbell.
    I have tried this and you get very little rom with a 2x4.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

You can use a stair, a stepper, or a 4x4 instead. Anything that's solid that will elevate the feet will work.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I do calf raises on two 45lb plates stacked on the floor. I put a towel in-between for slippage control. Works great.

I work out at home also. I do single leg calf raises w/ dumbell. I agree with the others that you just need some adjustable dumbells.
    Last edited by Art_Bell; 01-24-2005 at 11:29 AM.

I also have a gym at home. I once worked out in gyms outside my home, but once I got my equipment I mostly stayed home, except when of course travelling. Then I find a nice gym I can train in.