The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Started dieting and weightlifting again (Help I'm gaining weight)!! I want to lose!

Hello all, I’m the perpetual yo-yo dieter In my 20s I was a lean and muscular I’m now 40 I have gained and lost weight so many times I can not keep track of it. It is now next to impossible to lose (very slow metabolism). I have decided to hit hard 1. 1200 – 1500 cals per day 2. 50 minutes cardio and 3. 3 sets of 15 on the weight machine alternating major muscle groups each day. I started this regime 2 weeks ago and have gained 2 pounds!!! This is depressing I am 6’2” and 266 pounds I want to lose weight and build muscle. (Really) My question is am I going about this in the correct way? Am I correct in my assumption that I will gain muscle weight for awhile and lose weight through increased metabolism burn? When will this transformation take place? I am concerned. My goal is 200- 210 and be lean and fit. This is still way above optimum BMI but hey I want some muscle. Should I look at some supplements? Hydroxy cut? Trimspa? Your help and comments are much appreciated.
    Last edited by rapptorr; 01-24-2005 at 06:47 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Trying to learn on the fly
    firt off, your calories are too low; find some way to calculate your maintainence number of calories(there are millions, pick one) and eat 500 less than that. i would also reccommend that you start wbb1 as a lifting routing, it is probably more balanced, etc. than your current routine. then, read the sticky in the diet and nutrition forum about what bodybuilders eat, and eat that type of stuff. see how the progress goes and from there adjust things

Wannabebig New Member
    Ok a little more back ground, I can not lose weight while eating 1500 calories. And yes it really is 1500 calories I weight my portions, My thinking is that I would eat a reduced calorie diet and throw in some serious exercise. Why have I gained 2 pounds? In two weeks? It must be muscle density right? I want to lose some serious weight 66 pounds yet build some lean muscle mass is this a realistic goal? I have fought with this up and down weight for 20 years! And it has reached critical mass. Today my exercise routine consisted of this. 1. 50 min on the exercise bike (lots of sweat) 2. 3/15 sets of Curls, Seated press, incline flys, seated rows, Bench press, then a ab workout. Tomorrow I will work oppisite groups but same cardio and abs. I will repeat my goal is to take off 60 lbs and build lean muscle mass while getting my fat burning machine back up to speed. Do I make sense? Thanks Tom

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not the most knowledgable on the subject but I agree with admiral dan's critique. More calories are needed. How can you stand only getting 1500 calories and keep enough energy to workout? There is a magic number of calories your body needs to lose weight rapidly. Too many and you put fat on. Too few and your body will go into starvation mode, in which it cuts down on energy production in order to conserve calories for vital processes. Also on the side make sure you are weighing at the same time of day everytime for accurate results. I suggest weighing first thing in the morning in the nude.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thank you for the reply. I was gaining weight on a 2500 calorie (Diet) I thought hey I would follow a 1500 calorie diet. Im still gaining weight at this level (2 lbs in 2 weeks) I truly believe my metabloisim is so screwed from yo-yo dieting that I fall out side of the norm on calorie intake? Maybe not? I have come to the conclusion that a good exercise program will take care of all my problems? Your suggestion indicates that I should times my current body weight by 13 (sedentary) = 3460 then minus 500 for weight loss for = 2960 I fear if I ate that kind of food I would hit 300 lb in no time at all!!! I have another question, If I do continue on with your proposed plan will I rev up my metabolisim so I can indeed build muscle mass (lean) and lose the weight? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Tom

PS: I workout in the AM I feel good during the workout (I believe I have enought fat stores to carry me through) ? lol