Thread: Question about protein needs...

Hybrid View

Question about protein needs...

So I'm 130 lbs, obviously trying to gain weight. I've always heard that you need at least 1g protein per pound of body weight, and that's obviously not a problem for me cuz that would only be 130g a day, which doesn't seem like that much.

For me, it's more a problem of getting too MUCH protein. I've figured out that I need about 2400 calories a day to gain weight, but if I only have 130g of protein a day, that's only like 20% of my calories, and that leaves a lot of carbs and/or fats.

My question is, would there be anything wrong with me getting like 200g of protein a day, which would be like 30% of my calories, then getting like 50% of cals from carbs, and 20% from fat?

200g for me is a little more than 1.5g/lb, and I just want to make sure it's not too much....

Trying to learn on the fly
    no, that would be fine

Wannabebig Member
    I'm 130 lbs also, and on this bulk i take in about 215 grams protein, 205 grams carbs, and 91 grams fat

how tall are you, im 5'10''

WBB Member
    I use that exact same breakdown, 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat and it has been working very well for me, so I would say try that.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 01-24-2005 at 07:14 PM.

I'm 5'9....I sorta decided to go the higher-carb, lower-fat route. i dunno, we'll see if it works.

Percentages aren't really that meaningful. Better to ensure that you're getting adequate protein (0.8g/lb) and fill in the rest of the calories with healthy (?) fats and carbs.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    Percentages aren't really that meaningful. Better to ensure that you're getting adequate protein (0.8g/lb) and fill in the rest of the calories with healthy (?) fats and carbs.

Why do you put a question by Healthy fats? Healthy fats, mono and poly fats....

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiro
    Why do you put a question by Healthy fats? Healthy fats, mono and poly fats....
    It's a joke. Most people don't bother to eat only "healthy" food when bulking.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    yeah i agree with you that percentages arent really a good mesurement, how ever i ithink i more adequate protien intake for a bodybuilder would be from 1-1.5 grams per pound
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    It's impossible I tells ya!
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL