Thread: Cardio Sucks!!!

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!

Cardio Sucks!!!

Long story short... Didnt work out for two years after I got my "desk job"....got really fat... Went from a solid 195 -200 to about 250 in a two year span. I have been on a pretty strict lifting plan for the past 2 months.. I feel like I am getting some of my strength back, BUT I know weight loss is really what I need now... Its funny I always go into the gym planning to do cardio, but only do it about half of the time. I get sooo pissed at myself... I know its funny but its all mental. Sooo do any of you have thoughts on progression as far as cardio.. When doing cardio I have just been doing 20 min. on and eliptical machine...(I know not long, but it works me!!!) I guess Im just looking for suggestions on how to make my cardio more of a set "program".... Also, is there anybody out there that went from around 200 up to 250 and then down to 185-200?? How did you do it??!! Thanks

"BUT I know weight loss is really what I need now... Its funny I always go into the gym planning to do cardio, but only do it about half of the time. I get sooo pissed at myself"
    YOU know what needs to be done, so do it!
    Go everyday/every second day so its more of a pattern if that helps.
    And once you think of stopping just tell yourself, "Wanna be a tub o ****, **** no!"
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

:withstupi

i'm lighter than that but i put on about 5kg (11lb), lost muscle and put on fat instead while i was studying IT at uni for a year as i was sitting at the computer the entire day everyday practically and didn't have time to work out.

6 months after graduating and still flabby, i got sick of being fat and got a gym membership and started working out with the exercises given to me by a PT during their free consultation sessions. but my diet was still horrible and my bodyfat percentage only went down by 1% or 2% when i measured 6 months later.

i was really angry with myself and everything, and spent days doing research on the net and reading as much as i could. i became very strict with my diet (clean food and measuring all the time), wrote my own lifting program and did cardio almost every morning for 40 minutes - 60 minutes.

6 months later (now), i've lost a lot of bodyfat and gained muscle.

you have come to the best BB site & forums on the internet and you are absolutely right when you say it is all mental. only you have the power to make yourself keep to a strict diet and regular workout. set short-term and long-term goals, and work hard to achieve them.

when you do, you're going to be immensely proud of yourself because it'd mean that you have the drive, determination, perseverance and discipline that only a few people in the world have.

you can do it sheparay.

"let your dissatisfaction with your current physique propel you into furiously motivated, determined and dedicated action to improve it."

Heres some motivation of what cardio and dieting can do for you.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/atta...chmentid=12680
    That is me. 5 months between pics.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

jesus adam thats a complete transformation bro.... and to the topic starter if you cant get motivated seeing that you need to quit.. just start mondays wendsdays and fridays or somethin man and stick with it.. you go to the gym on set days dont you.. so get your cardio on set days and youll be all good.
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

i strted out at 275...am doing to 230 something i am doing the psmf diet, cardio still have a ways to go but have come pretty far already...

Adam that is a nice transformation good job bro

Get an mp3 player and WORK THAT ASS!!!!!

cant do cardio? it takes time to get discipline, but if you can i reccomend some things.

keep saying "be a man" to yourself in your head, it works for me when its cold im tired and i have to start lifting in the mornings (i lift in my house, dunno how cold gyms get).

also, do whatever you can to make it more comfortable and bearable, ie: i set up the weight im using for first exercise before i go to bed, makes it easier to do and harder to make excuses. and as accuFLEX mentioned, an mp3 player probably wouldnt bad. imho because it falls under making things more comfortable.

Banned
    Cardio does suck...I tip my hat to those that have the will power to run that far...*salutes*

MACHINE
    Invest in a nice comfortable CD or mp3 player. Get on a piece of equipment and stay on it until your favorite album is done. Take some caffeine before your workout, I find that motivates me to stay a little longer at the gym on those days when I need the motivation.

or you could find a more enjoyable form of cardio. I have an area set up in my basement to train for boxing - heavy bag, mat, jump rope, med balls, etc. I have to talk myself out of training too much down there sometimes because I love it.
    Last edited by gino; 01-21-2005 at 06:57 AM.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

You do realize that cardio comes in many forms, don't you? Try doing things you enjoy, as gino suggested. You don't have to sit in a gym pounding away on a treadmill. Swimming is good cardio, especially if you can't swim well. Hiking is another option. Be creative with it.
    Last edited by TBone4Eva; 01-21-2005 at 07:02 AM.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

Down with the Sickness
    DO YOUR CARDIO FIRST! I useed to ski[p mine all the time or only do it like half the time, i started doing cardio first thing and now i run 2-3 miles and then go lift. You will need some time to get used to it but your body will adjust. 2 days a week i go for my long slow cardio sessions like 45-50 minutes a a comfortable but slightly challenging pace.

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    Thanks for all the posts guys!!! I WILL do cardio today!!!! It may be 20-25 minutes, but I WILL do it...

Wannabebig Member
    my sig has images, of skinny to fat and now cutting down.
    My body weight has always been a rollercoaster.

150 in highschool to 210 before marines,
    210 to 160 after marines,
    bagan lifting got to about 215lbs (lean)
    got a desk job got to about 270lbs (fat)
    now down to around 240 and looking better.

my shoulders went from roughly 45 inches to 62 inches now, (had a tux measurement)
    my chest gained a ton of size too.

I am so excited too, I think I have actually gained quite a bit of muscle during my bulking phase and and am just now getting ready to drop under the 240 barrier.
    If i can get to 220-230 we will be seeing the lower abs again, ( i already see the uppers at 240lbs).
    I also got a diffrerent build, most people cant tell i weigh that much cause I am broader than round.

I have goals, you and me can motivate each other!
    Last edited by spillman; 01-21-2005 at 09:12 AM.

cutting
    I can say the only things that really get me through a cardio workout is the fact that I know I will be healthier and eventually look better and that I listen to music that pumps me up or atleast distracts my mind from the boring repetition of cardio. Also, like the guys above said try having fun with it.
    Things I have done in the past....
    1) get a small paper route and walk it or jog or even ride your bike (good cardio and you make money)
    2) play a sport (adult soccer league or something like that)

how are things going shep?

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    Well I did do cardio today!!! So I guess thats good... Its just something I am going to have to do. I am really trying to focus on my diet as well.. If you get a chance do a search for "calories for a 250 pounder" in the diet and nutrition forum and let me know what you think... Thanks for the asking!!!!

It seems having a desk job would mean getting fat, though I think that's more because of not having proper time management than anything else. I figure that a regular job would be around 8 hours, so that still leaves 16 hours free time. Let's say the commute to and from work takes 2 hours total; that then still leaves 14 hours. Again, let's say of those 14 hours we have 8 hours of sleep, so we have 6 hours left. Of those 6 hours, about 1 hour total is devoted to eating. We then have 5 hours left free time, and in that time then we can squeeze in our workout. So we can have about 3-4 hours left for free time.

good job!! hope the cardio sessions keep coming in! you might find it helpful starting a journal in the journal section of the forums to keep track of what you're doing and for advice and motivation.

dietwise, i use the katch-mcardle formula
    http://www.femalemuscle.com/nutrition/calculate.html
    try and get your bodyfat levels tested because it'd be more accurate in helping to determine your daily caloric needs and will give you a goal to work towards.

the harris-benedict formula can be used if you don't know what your lean body mass is.

there are lots of excellent articles on nutrition at WBB's site
    http://www.wannabebig.com/archive.php?catid=2