The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Getting back in it

I am a newbie to the website, all this information is great. I injured my shoulder about 4 months ago doing military presses. Seems I have inherited some "loose joints." I have gone through my physical therapy and got my rotator cuff back in shape. I have always struggled with my bench #'s and after returning to the gym yesterday I am feeling depressed. Are there certain excercises I can focus on to get my bench back up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Lifting For Strength
    You just have to build back up from time off, start over. You're more than likely going to make gains faster than the first time if it's only been 4 months, but there are no magic exercises to get you back to where you were. Triceps and front delts help improve your bench though along with pecs obviously.
    Last edited by gcs118; 01-24-2005 at 03:20 PM.

If your new to benching(under 2 years) just benching will be the best thing to bring up your bench.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Its about the naked thing! FireBug's Avatar
    dapsjh, where do you typically fail with bench? on your chest, near the top, somewhere in the middle? The only reason i ask, is depending on where you fail, this is your bottleneck to better lifts.

Now with that said, if you are just starting, benching is your best bench improvement exercise (as adam said above)

Wannabebig Member
    I just felt weak and unsteady with the entire movement. I guess after going consistent for several months you develop smaller muscles that help with stability and strenth that probably were not being used to do the rubberband stuff I had to do for therapy. I think partially it is mental too. If you have ever had your shoulder fall out of place it hurts like h***. I think I am afraid to push myself because I am afraid of my shoulder failing again. I think for now I am just going to get back in the groove with lighter weight and see if I can build up stability and a comfort level with my abilities.