The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: CNS lowdown

Body Under Construction thalakos84's Avatar

CNS lowdown

I was wondering if I can get the skinny on the CNS as it pertains to exercise. I know some basic stuff. But I want something really in-depth. If someone has a link to any good articles, that would really help. Also, when I get done with a really tough workout, my body parts twitch and shake uncontrollably. Does this happen to anyone else? And is it a good thing? Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Anyone?

I can e-mail you some stuff, that is a pretty loaded question as the CNS is a very extensive topic-are you mostly asking about why you shake and twitch?

You need to ask a more targetted question. Otherwise, you need to be reading physiology books, and books like Supertraining.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

OK, I'll narrow it down. I basically just wanted to know about the CNS and how it applies to weight-training/fatigue/strenght increases. And I'm assuming that the twitching is due to overloading. Is it a good sign though? Or does it mean I need to improve?

Ok, I will try to give you a brief answer. All activitity in the body ( including muscular contraction) is controlled and coordinated by the nervous system. When you apply a load onto your muscle (one that is has not previously experienced) your body "responds" by re-organizing its neural structure and pattern. It does this because its much easier to do and less costly (from a metabolic standpoint) than to build new muscle. This is why you normaly get stronger before you get bigger, in terms of muscle growth. its just more efficient for the body to respond that way. This patterning is called "neurological efficiency". Guys who develop a lot of muscle without a lot of increase in strength tend to have poor neurological efficiency-so the only thing their body can do is to grow-the guys who can get real strong tend to have fantastic neurological efficiency ( and strong tendons and ligaments as well)

Muscle twitching is the result of minor local muscle contractions or the uncontrollable twitching of a single muscle group served by a single motor nerve fiber or filament. It is somewhat normal and may be caused by a number of things-low blood sugar, deyhydration, magnesium defiency, fatigue, etc. Sometimes its the result of normal pattern resetting and growth. It is really not a problem unless it becomes a chronic condition, in which case you need to get checked by a doctor. I think you need to take a closer look and your pre and post workout nutrition. The mods can probably help you with that.

Hope that helps

Keith

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Thank's for the post Keith.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Hmm. I think my nutrition is up to par. I weigh about 150lbs and I drink about 60oz of water daily. I take multi-vitamins. My diet consists of lots of eggs, whole wheat bread, milk, oats, rice, and beans, as well as assorted juices. I think it has more to do with fatigue. Like I said, it only happens every so often after I get a REALLY intense workout. And I'm one of those little guys with lots of strength. I'm thinking it's probably the neuro-pathways reconfiguring. But Keith, thank you! You're a wealth of knowledge as usual. Do you have a link to a collection of your articles? If not that, then just direct me to anything that has to do with the nervous system. My email is thalakos84@hotmail.com or thalakos84@gmail.com
    Last edited by thalakos84; 01-25-2005 at 05:10 PM.

By the way, last time it happened, my pre-workout meal was an egg sandwich with two eggs, two pieces of whole grain bread, cheddar, and a bottle of water. Post was a 600 cal mass drink, two burgers, baked potato, and a soda. I'm on permanent bulk. Oh, and the twitching isn't so much twitching. It's just a constant shake. Not like spasms or anything.

thalakos,

I dont know much about nutrition, but I do know a bit about eating-I would suggest that you contact the guys at at large nutrition and tell them your goals and also provide them with a copy of your food journal ( you are keeping one are'nt you-hint, hint) and hopefully they can give you some guidance on do's and dont's and also some guidance on supplementation. I am not thrilled with burgers and sodas for post work-out meals ( I do love cheeseburgers though) I am willing to bet they can hook you up with a great pre and post workout shake type thingy. ( I hope I am not out of line in offering to have them help you, if so I apologize) I am also a HUGE fan of magnesium as a mineral supplement.

I will send you some things I have written, though most of my published work is neuro-immunology, and pediatric neurology.

KWW

No. I don't keep a food journal. I don't even keep a lifting journal (hangs head in shame). I'm too poor to really change my diet. I have to get the most for my money. I suppose that's no excuse for not documenting cals/carbs/protein in though. And as for suggesting AtLarge, you're not out of line at all. Thanks for the suggestion. I just don't know if I can afford it, so I never bothered to check it out. And as far as magnesium goes, what's the purpose? I realize it's important, but what specific processes is it involved in?
    Last edited by thalakos84; 01-25-2005 at 05:40 PM.
    Growth
    5'10"
    150lbs
    Bench - 225
    Squat - 247x5
    Deadlift - 315

Let me tell you this. On a budget you can still have a really good diet.
    Last year I was working a different job(paid more) and had no bills, so i had $10/day in food. Now my diet is almost as good but only cost ~5-6$/day.
    You just have to buy the right food.
    Main budget items in my diet are: oatmeal, protein shakes, old protein bars(get a discount cause expire is coming up), and peanut butter.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Minus the protein shakes, you just described my diet.
    Growth
    5'10"
    150lbs
    Bench - 225
    Squat - 247x5
    Deadlift - 315

Quagmire wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wassung
    Ok, I will try to give you a brief answer. All activitity in the body ( including muscular contraction) is controlled and coordinated by the nervous system. When you apply a load onto your muscle (one that is has not previously experienced) your body "responds" by re-organizing its neural structure and pattern. It does this because its much easier to do and less costly (from a metabolic standpoint) than to build new muscle. This is why you normaly get stronger before you get bigger, in terms of muscle growth. its just more efficient for the body to respond that way. This patterning is called "neurological efficiency". Guys who develop a lot of muscle without a lot of increase in strength tend to have poor neurological efficiency-so the only thing their body can do is to grow-the guys who can get real strong tend to have fantastic neurological efficiency ( and strong tendons and ligaments as well)

Muscle twitching is the result of minor local muscle contractions or the uncontrollable twitching of a single muscle group served by a single motor nerve fiber or filament. It is somewhat normal and may be caused by a number of things-low blood sugar, deyhydration, magnesium defiency, fatigue, etc. Sometimes its the result of normal pattern resetting and growth. It is really not a problem unless it becomes a chronic condition, in which case you need to get checked by a doctor. I think you need to take a closer look and your pre and post workout nutrition. The mods can probably help you with that.

Hope that helps

Keith

Good post Keith. I know absolutly nothing about the CNS, but your post explained thing's nicely. Very interesting, I might have to read up on it more now.
    He who hesitates masturbates........

Wannabebig Member
    that was a great post keith, I have tried to find more info about how the cns affects weight training and I can not find anything. Where do you think I should look to read more about this? Thanks again for the info.

I would start with a basic text like Guyton's Physiology-get your basics covered and then you can narrow your target reading a bit more. There are tons of peer review journals available on the topic. Most of these are available on-line although you often need to have an account with them ( I have account's with most of them so if you need something,let me know) Many of the journal articles are written with a very high degree of "Phd-ese" meaning they use a twenty dollar word to describe a nickel term. But that is the reality of research and publishing.

Do you realize there are more possible connections in the human central nervous system ( just one person) then there are electrons in the known universe?

i cant find the site right now...
    but google "weightrainer"
    thats one T.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member
    Keith,
    Thanks for the short explanation on the CNS. I've been reading WBB forums for a while now and have learned alot. I usually don't post, because I don't have much useful to say. I did want to say thank you, and for all the other veterans and moderators - This is a GREAT forum!

nice points keith