The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Best exercises for a dislocated shoulder

I dislocated my shoulder snowboarding on 1/24/05 and am nervous about getting back into the gym and lifting. Has anyone here been through this and have any suggestions for shoulder exercises I could do to strengthen my shoulder to make me more confident that i won't have it rip out in the middle of a bench press?
    Thanks guys

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ask a doctor or qualified physical therapist. I know people with dislocated shoulders that would pop out if you looked at it funny, let alone exercised it. At the very least, I would recommend serious rest before considering exercise.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 01-26-2005 at 09:18 AM.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

MilliVanilli
    When you're ready and able to lift again you can do very light shoulder raises and rotor cuff exercises.

To perform a rotar cuff exercise you can take a light dumbell with your arm bent at your side just like you're going to do a hammer curl. The difference between this exercise and a hammer curl is that you move your hand sideways - left to right, slowly. Try to keep your arm as close to your side as possible when performing these. Do a light set of 15-20 for each until your shoulder is recovered.

This is more or less the equivalent of physical therapy that a doctor would put you through. My father does pretty much the same lifts for his physical therapy on his shoulder, as I do to lift when I do shoulders.

Wannabebig Member
    lol i have had that problem with my right shoulder, now have artifical stuff inside. never do Military press. any orthopedic doctor or physical therapist will say no no never.... shoulder press is the better way to go. and work that rotator cuff. if you got more questions on other exersizes to work those small muscles hit me up on aim

Bonzaisushi

or email
    Bonzaisushi@gmail.com
    5'10 270

bench: 325 Goal by end of may 355
    Squat: 450 Goal by may 525

plan to get weight under 225.

it's only been 2 days.. i don't think you should think about lifting weight just yet

Wannabebig Member
    are you sure it was dislocated? and it didnt sublex? almost rolls out. id give it 2 weeks to heal its self, just to cardio, work your legs. if you have a immobleizer use it if you have a sling use it, if you dont have a sling make one with a t-shirt. give it 2 weeks tho. then do rotator cuf exersices with 2-5lb dumbells
    5'10 270

bench: 325 Goal by end of may 355
    Squat: 450 Goal by may 525

plan to get weight under 225.

yeah I'm quite sure it was dislocated. My first hint was when I could press on my shoulder only to feel spongy muscle and no bone. The second clue was when i was laying face down on the table as the doctor was pulling on my elbow and a nurse was on my back pushing my should back into it's socket. I'm just kidding around, not trying to flame. I'll search for these rotator cuff exercises, thanks for the advice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzaisushi
    are you sure it was dislocated? and it didnt sublex? almost rolls out. id give it 2 weeks to heal its self, just to cardio, work your legs. if you have a immobleizer use it if you have a sling use it, if you dont have a sling make one with a t-shirt. give it 2 weeks tho. then do rotator cuf exersices with 2-5lb dumbells

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    Dave Mirra used to always dislocate his shoulder wrecking, but he does mil presses now and he swears by them. so i dont know...I think he has the most experience with dislocation of the shoulder and mil press seems to work for him in keeping it from happening so much.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

ask a doctor or qualified physical therapist...follow that advice...