Thread: Shoulders and Triceps are lagging (I think)

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Shoulders and Triceps are lagging (I think)

Every Wednesday, I work my chest, shoulders, and triceps. Here's what I do:

Flat Bench Press (3 x 8)
    Pec Deck (3 x 8)
    Arnold Press (3 x 8)
    Close-Grip Bench Press (3 x 8)

I've just started back up on my routine after Winter Break. So, I've been doing this routine for a few weeks. During that time, the weight that I Bench Press and Pec Deck has gone up. But the weight that I Arnold Press and CG Bench stayed the same.

Though my Arnold Press and CG Bench exercises aren't going up in weight, does that mean that my shoulders and triceps aren't getting stronger? Or does it mean that the Bench Press tires me out so that I can't Arnold Press and CG Bench to my full potental? I feel like this might be the case. If so, do you think I'm overtraining my shoulders or perhaps even my triceps too? My shoulders and triceps usually aren't too sore (my chest is a LOT more sore), so does this mean that they can't be overtrained? Or can muscles that aren't sore still be overtrained?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I can't give you an exact answer, but I can make a suggestion. Try switching the order of your exercises one day, and see if you are able to do more weight with the muscles in question. You're probably right about benchpress tiring out your triceps/shoulders.

Banned
    for the sets try:
    1x12 (easy weight, warmup)
    1x10 (comfortable weight)
    2x8 (increase weight)
    3x6 (increase weight to failure)

Quote Originally Posted by jww13
    I can't give you an exact answer, but I can make a suggestion. Try switching the order of your exercises one day, and see if you are able to do more weight with the muscles in question. You're probably right about benchpress tiring out your triceps/shoulders.
    But it's better to do the major compound exercises first as they are harder and require the most energy. Isn't that right?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 01-26-2005 at 05:38 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Yes thats right.... But do what he said.
    He is giving you a way to find out if your shoulders/tris are getting stronger.
    He didn't mean make it a permanent switch, just for a day to see how strong ya are without benchin first.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member
    Im new here at the site, and weightlifting in general for the most part. I felt the same way you do doing basically the same excersices, so i switched the arrangement around, and i found that I am definitely getting stronger, I was just getting worn out. Give it a try, I bet you will be pleasently surprised!

cut block extraordinaire
    Ya Im w/ Adam and jww.

Okay, let's say I do switch it up and perform Arnold Press first and find that my shoulders actually ARE growing. After that, would I just go back to tiring out my shoulders with the Bench Press and be using 20 lb. dumbbells for Arnold Press for the rest of my life because they are always so tired from benching?
    Lifting Journal

If I were you, I'd do the pec deck last, as it seems to hit the fewest muscles-whereas everything else hits several. At least this feels like the case for me.
    I'd guess that you are getting stronger but that your shoulders/tris are just getting tired from benching.

Your weight for the shoulder work will go up in time, but it probably won't go up as quickly.

u might try reworking your split if this is the case...my split goes something like this:
    Monday-Legs
    Tues-Chest
    Wed-Back and Bis
    Thurs-Shoulders and Tris
    Fri-Deads and Cleans
    ...and on thurs i start of with some CG bench...you will see that the weight will go up..this split is working really well for me...but im also wit the idea above if u don't wanna rework your whole split...just switch it up a bit and put the more shoulder concentrated exercises first to see if you are improving...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

agree with the others replied...switch out the order

Alright, I'll switch up the order. And so, if I figure out that my shoulders ARE growing, I should just put the order back to normal and have my Arnold Press weight slowly go up? And do you think it's even necessary to do Arnold Press since my shoulders apparently get hit pretty hard during the Bench Press?
    Lifting Journal