Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle inexperienced lifters?

How do you handle inexperienced lifters?

There are some younger guys who come into the weightroom and do their best to hurt themselves in the worst possible way, it seems like. I have to help their form sometimes, and tell them to ****ing spot the person, not watch them fall/choke to death. If they listen to me, I keep talking to them when I see that I can help them. If they don't, I ignore them until they decide it might be useful to follow my advice (mostly on form). How do you guys handle these people, adults and teens alike. Seems like young or old newbies make the same mistakes.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I ignore them and they suitably ignore me.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

I tried but apparently my advice went unnoticed...most likely because I am not really huge or impressive.

Only give advice when prompted for it, thats my rule at the gym. Even when people ask me, sometimes I just blow them off. I'm tired of getting into half hour discussions on things like periodization, nutrition or compensatory acceleration only to be told "I see what you're saying but that just sounds weird". Why waste a half hour of my life when I'm not being paid? A lot of strength theory is counter intuitive so people refuse to accept reality and dogmatically hold on to whatever dumb **** they read in M&F.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiebldr
    :withstupi

The only thing I always wonder about is what are these people thinking when they see others using the correct form? Just assuming everyone else is wrong and their way is right?

I let people do whatever they want. Some people take offense to others giving them advice, so I just don't bother.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by rookiebldr
    Same here.

What bothers me even more, is guys that know how to train w/ proper form, and spend 4 days a week doing chest & arms. Every night in the gym I fight the urge to walk up the them and say "Train your legs for once, you f*cking pu$$y".
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Sometimes one guy will accept your advice.....if it's asked for; otherwise, if it's a couple of guys or so, it's usually a lost cause. Do your own thing. An aside, my first rule of spotting; give the lifter your undivided attention ...SupWill, I know you know that.

since i lift in my school's weightroom and im a returning starter on the football team...i usually help out all the football guys that are gonna be juniors next year (im gonna be a senior)...the other sports kids that are in there i don't bother unless they ask then i make an honest effort to help...if they decide to be jacka**es and try to point out things im doing wrong (one person in particular) then im just like screw it whatever....but this is under diff circumstances

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Banned
    i kill them.

Show them how to squat, then tell them to try with their leg press max.
    6'2 206

Quote Originally Posted by Tafman
    i kill them.
    I like your style

twm i hate to bring it up and i know it has nothing to do with the forum...but are those stats in your sig correct....no typos? cuz if u can military press almost as much as u can squat and more than u can deadlift...hmm...did neglect the legs?

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

No, they're right. I had a mild hernia last fall and I've took about a year off from squats and deadlifts. I just started back up about a week ago.

i just use it to amuse myself.
    A guy in the gym this week spent an hour training Biceps! No ROM whatsoever. I see it as his problem unless he asks for help. "based on past experiences of people paying no attention to what you tell them".
    Last edited by Giddo; 01-29-2005 at 03:08 AM.
    "If you are going through hell, keep going."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wannabebig Member

Depends on YOUR size

I think if you have a great body, some people at a gym respect what you have to say. If you are some fat ass, forget it.

I was in the gym the other day and a young small dude was doing some tricep extensions with an EZcurl bar. He had way too much weigh on it and his elbows weren't even close to his head. In between sets I just mentioned casually that he might want to pull the elbows in, and that sometimes that is hard with too much weight. If he dropped some weight and had the arms in the right spot he could really build size on the upper arm. He seemed glad I told him that. But it's rare that I offer.

The reason I'm able to sometimes give advice is that I'm usually dealing with kids younger than me, and they see me in there and have respect for me, so usually they listen. If they don't, I never say anything about it again. Sometimes it just bothers me, you know, to see them "benching" and laying the bar on their belly.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Do that voodoo that he do
    When I'm at work I have to smile (well, as much as I ever do) and try to play nice. I generally answer questions in layman's terms and don't get into detail or science unless I'm prompted.

If I'm at another gym then I ignore people, almost to the point of rudeness. I'm there to lift and get out, not deal with riffraff.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Don't give advice unless it's asked for.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

cut block extraordinaire
    Optimum-since i lift in my school's weightroom and im a returning starter on the football team...i usually help out all the football guys that are gonna be juniors next year (im gonna be a senior)...the other sports kids that are in there i don't bother unless they ask then i make an honest effort to help...if they decide to be jacka**es and try to point out things im doing wrong (one person in particular) then im just like screw it whatever....but this is under diff circumstances
    Same thing...maybe because we go to the same school and lift together. Im nicer though and try to help the freshmen coming up because the usually listen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldsClarendon
    I think if you have a great body, some people at a gym respect what you have to say. If you are some fat ass, forget it.
    This is very true. I do, however, also agree with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Don't give advice unless it's asked for.

I never ever care about who or whats in the gym, never, except if there is a shoot out or violence, I dont think its important what others do as long as I get big.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Banned
    BUt what if you see some guy doing deadlifts with a rounded back??? Or squats with a rounded back??

I dont know if its our (as in anyone who knows not to round) duty to explain that you could seriously damage yourself doing this.. Next time im going to ask one of the Gym personnel to tell the guy not to **** himself

i just laugh at the people with bad form...like the dude i saw doing wgpd with like 50 pounds he would practically stand up after each rep to pull the weight back down and not even touch his chest.

or the lady using 20 pounds for wgpd and acting like she was pullin180 sounded like she was having a hernia sounded like a rhino or something ready to attack

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSonic
    BUt what if you see some guy doing deadlifts with a rounded back??? Or squats with a rounded back??

I dont know if its our (as in anyone who knows not to round) duty to explain that you could seriously damage yourself doing this.. Next time im going to ask one of the Gym personnel to tell the guy not to **** himself
    why would it be your duty? do you own the club? are you liable if they hurt themselves? if people hurt themselves because they dont know the correct form and use more weight then they are capable of it is their fault not anyone elses