The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member WatchThisSpace's Avatar

Who likes cardio?

I am cutting at the minute, so obviously the word 'cardio' is stamped on my forehead with massive explanation marks. I train at home and I have a decent cross-trainer.
    I am aiming for 30 minutes everyday. You see, I cannot do this all at once. So I do a warm-up (5 minutes), stretch, do weights then back on the cardio for 30 minutes.
    Q: Can I do bursts of cardio during the day that adds up to 30 minutes? All at once kills me with boredom.
    I'm just a beginner, be nice to me and WATCH THIS SPACE!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wannabebig!
    its just 30 minutes... play some music or watch some tv

Trying to learn on the fly
    i'm with ryu, but if you want, try splitting it up and see if you still make gains. or try doing it 4 times a day for 10 minutes. more cardio and you might not mind it as much

I hate cardio, but I love playing games, so turn your cardio into some type of game, ie, go to an outdoor basketball court, do a lay-up at one end, race to the other end and shoot and go back and forth for 3 minutes, getting as many baskets as you can-rest one minute and then repeat for 5-6 more cycles-or whatever works for you-use your imagination and turn work into fun.

Keith

cardio sucks. maybe that's why I stoped doing it for 5 months. Gotta start back up though, the bulk is taking its toll oin my BF hehe.

For me though, I jus cant stand sitting on a bilke for half an hour on a time, it seems like eternity,
    Playing basletball is great though. Perfect form of HIIT.

Or try going somewhere interesting, eg. running up a mountain track or something, it's great. Or cycling. At least the scenery changes.
    If you can't do that, then I'm with Ryuage, get something to watch/listen to.
    Does your cross-trainer (a machine, I assume?) have a digital display and computer? Those are always fun to confuse by going too fast, and then having it tell you to slow down, because your heart rate's too high

Take the cardio outside. Get the heart going with a steady jog; doesn't have to be a 4 min. mile; this ain't marathon training. Enjoy the scenery.

Over the summer I would get off work early and get home around 11am so I would go out to a very empty street in my neighborhood and do HIIT for 15-20 intervals in the 95 degree heat and for some strange reason I really enjoyed doing that.

Wannabebig Member
    I am bulking and I hate not being able to do cardio, I love to go for a nice jog in the morning, but that will have to wait a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby
    I am bulking and I hate not being able to do cardio, I love to go for a nice jog in the morning, but that will have to wait a while.
    Why can't you do cardio while bulking? There is no reason not to.

Moderate cardio is always recommended. Bulking or cutting.
    If your bulking you won't want to go for a 10mile run 5days a week, but a morning jog will only do you good.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    :withstupi

Banned
    I may do quite a bit of it, but I am certainly no cardio expert as far as theory goes. However, if I'm not mistaken, you will NOT see the same benefits from splitting up your session. I think there's some kind of threshold that needs to be reached before it starts taking maximum effect.

That being said, if you're looking at it from a straight calories burned point of view, I suppose it's all the same.

Regardless, half an hour is nothing...I did 90 minutes this morning and didn't really even notice.

Can't lift for trying
    I love cardio, probably too much though. I use to do 12 hours of cardio a week on an exercise bike for an hour in the morning and last thing at night. I now just do fours a week on off days in the Am for an hour right after rising.

I never find it boring because it is a challenge to me because I have asthma so it's never easy. I keep my HR up between 155-162 for 55 minutes and really push it hard. Feels brilliant afterwards and helps keep my BF% around 9.5% even after eating 3800 calories per day for 6 weeks now.

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wassung
    I hate cardio, but I love playing games, so turn your cardio into some type of game, ie, go to an outdoor basketball court, do a lay-up at one end, race to the other end and shoot and go back and forth for 3 minutes, getting as many baskets as you can-rest one minute and then repeat for 5-6 more cycles-or whatever works for you-use your imagination and turn work into fun.

Keith
    me to. though i do martial arts for mine. Eg some kick boxing is often fun way to burn some kcals.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

For a variation in cardio, try what is known as the Tabata Intervals or the Tabata Protocol.

Tabata Intervals consist of 20 seconds of maximum intensity exercise, followed by 10 seconds of rest. This cycle is repeated 8 times (for a total of 4-minutes). Although Dr. Tabata used a mechanically braked cycle ergometer, you can apply “Tabata Intervals” to several forms of exercise, such as hitting a heavy bag, sprinting, jumping rope, or fast paced bodyweight squats.

Your first reaction might be, “How effective can this protocol really be with just 4 minutes of exercise?”

Let me answer this question for you… VERY EFFECTIVE!

You will be amazed at how intense 4 minutes of exercise will feel. This form of training taxes both the anaerobic and aerobic energy systems. Tabata Intervals are excellent for those athletes who participate in high intensity sports such as boxing, MMA, or wrestling.

After just 6 weeks of testing, Dr. Tabata noted a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity along with a 14% increase in V02Max. The 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off interval system improved both the anaerobic and aerobic energy systems significantly. These results were witnessed by physically fit athletes. Many tests are conducted on deconditioned subjects, which makes the test results more difficult to evaluate. Dr. Tabata's test was much more effective, as it produced a positive response on individuals who were already in shape.

This form of training is also effective for fat loss. Tabata Intervals will raise your body’s metabolic rate long after the exercise session is completed. You will continue to burn fat throughout the day. Recent studies have shown that intense interval training will elevate the rate that your body burns calories by up to 142% more than low-intensity, continuous exercise

As mentioned, you can perform Tabata Intervals with several forms of exercise. The most obvious is sprinting. For example, sprint 20 seconds, and then rest 10 seconds, and continue until you have completed 8 x 20 second sprints. Always begin with a moderate warm-up and cool down session. You can apply this to a bodyweight movement such as push ups, squats, or use the stationary bike, jump rope, etc.

Another great Tabata workout can be performed on the heavy bag. Punch non-stop for 20-second intervals, followed by 10 seconds of rest. You will be surprised at the difficulty of this 4-minute heavy bag session.

Give these Tabata Intervals a try. 3-4 days per week is ideal...

Keith

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    I HATE cardio.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

I didn't mind it until I broke 200ish lbs.

Tabata is interesting. The crossfit folks use it all of the time with things like BW squats and thrusters.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I used to run 8 miles a week when I was desperate to lose weight. At first I loved it because I knew every mile was getting me that much closer to the body I wanted. However, when I got closer to the goal, I didn't like it as much. I always run in my neighborhood. When it got boring, I got a girl that I used to go out with to run with me. That spiced things up a bit. When it was too rainy, I would go to the gym and listen to my favorite burned CD and the time would fly.

Banned
    HIIT is fun, i do it on the treadmill in the gym... I do 30 minutes of 1 minute intervals, moving from 10kph and 20kph. Also for long cardio, sometimes if i have something to study i will keep it with me and use the time to memorise information

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    I jog to school, school is 6 miles away, I would have to eat so much to make up for that

I love cardio of all kinds.
    6'2 206

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby
    I jog to school, school is 6 miles away, I would have to eat so much to make up for that
    Wow, I'd love to get to school all drenched in sweat.

I've never been big on cardio until now. I slacked in this area most of the time, but I can't ignore it now: I need stamina as well. My 64 year old dad beat me to climbing hills. He's been jogging for as long as I remember, so his stamina is real strong, something that's not exactly true for me. So now I incorporate cardio in my workouts.