The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Barbell Bench vs. Hammer Strength

Any guidance on how amount of weights lifted on a Hammer Strength bench (upright, not their flat model) correspodence to lifting plates with a 45 pound bar on a regular flat bench.

Am currently without a lifting partner and am considering switching for a while from regular bench to upright Hammer bench, but don't know how to account in figuring total lift for the lack of a bar.

Am sure this is confusing, but hopefully I'm making sense. In other words, I know a 225 bench with a bar is 4 45 plates and the 45 pound bar. What's a 225 bench on a Hammer? 225 worth of plates, or do you allow something for the weight of the handles?

A second question - any insight as to whether the flat bench with barbell is better/not as effective/less effective than using an upright Hammer bench?

Thanks for your insights.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's much different bench pressing with free weights than a machine, especially a machine that has you sitting upright. It's impossible to know how much you're going to be able to handle on free weights based on what you do with the machine. I'll take any free weight movement over a machine any day of the week IMHO.

I don't think there's any correlation at all. When I could max out on barbell bench at 315 I could rep 5 plates per side on a HS bench machine. I've seen little teeny guys who couldn't press 225 to save their life rep 3 or 4 plates per side on a HS bench.

HS rowing machines are useful but I've never really cared for any of their other equipment.

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    It's much different bench pressing with free weights than a machine, especially a machine that has you sitting upright. It's impossible to know how much you're going to be able to handle on free weights based on what you do with the machine. I'll take any free weight movement over a machine any day of the week IMHO.

Only really worthwhile machine that you can get something different out of other than free weight bench is a cam machine in my opinion. Strive equipment that uses multiple cams that allow you to stress different ranges of motion can help break through on bench and develope strength in a certain range. Other than that, I'd take free weights over any machine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMachine
    I don't think there's any correlation at all. When I could max out on barbell bench at 315 I could rep 5 plates per side on a HS bench machine. I've seen little teeny guys who couldn't press 225 to save their life rep 3 or 4 plates per side on a HS bench.

HS rowing machines are useful but I've never really cared for any of their other equipment.

I've noticed the same thing but I think ROM seems to be the biggest difference in what others can lift on the same machine. Last monday I barbell benched 245 for 10+1 and did 2 plates plus 25lbs on each side of the HS bench. So for me there seems to be a correlation, but i've seen a lot of guys do 3+ plates per side that can't bench much, their form usually suffers though. Or I could just be weak on that machine, who knows.

Eph610Power, I just say try a plate at first and go from there. Only real way to know is to try it.
    Last edited by smalls; 01-29-2005 at 09:27 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

I like Hammer strenght, but i doubt there is a forumla that you can follow.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

i love the hammer strenght to, i do the uprow, the incline amd decline press right after regular bench, is that an overkill

Wannabebig New Member
    There is no comparison , benching is better . Dont think of substituting hammer for benching and getting the same results .

Who cares about the weight ... how is your workout ?
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

3:16
    i prefer bench as the motion is far more natural to me.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Wannabebig Member
    What about subbing the hammer for the flat press and using the smith for incline/decline?

I can use 230x5 on the upright HS machine.
    I can also bench 225x7 freeweights.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member
    "I can use 230x5 on the upright HS machine.
    I can also bench 225x7 freeweights."

I'm figuring about the same ratio for my strength: I also do incline/decline as well as flat DB presses--the HS is for (1) safety, and (2) if I have a bad bench day, it affects the rest of my workout, whereas a flubbed incline or DB set doesn't bother me.

Wannabebig Member
    That seems reasonable: do you count the handles as anything?

I dont. 230 to me is 2pps+25a side.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style