The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Dropping Barbells

on certain exercises many people drop the barbell. (ie deads). i want to give this a try some time but have a problem. i workout in my house. basement is nasty and unfinished (not to mention packed with stuff) so thats out. i sure as hell cant drop on a floor... so i have 2 alternatives (well 3 if you count joining a gym, which im not doing) either i can make a drop area where the ends will hit and blanket that area of the floor with unused weight plates, this would protect the floor but would be quite loud... or i can lift outside. there are some very flat hard ground areas in my backyard so it seems worth considering. of course, hauling all the weights out there would take a while...

what should i do?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    can you afford to invest in a rubber mat like the have at some gyms? ElPietro bought one of these for his home workout area and it seemed to work ok as I recall.

Lifting For Strength
    lol I don't think you should be this excited about getting to drop a loaded barbell

how heavy a rubber mat? it seems like it would need to be really thick to transfer shock evenly, but maybe ill try that.

ill figure something out

i only drop really heavy dbs, never deads or anything with a bb, i think that is just too much weight to be throwing around

Why the hell are you concerned with dropping barbells? It doesn't mean anything at all. Well, except perhaps that you can't handle the weight you're lifting.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

I guess it makes him feel good, after doing a sets of powercleans which I greatly hate but MUST do theres nothing better than just throwing the whole thing to the floor after the last rep
    Weight-208
    Bench-205
    Squat-405

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    Why the hell are you concerned with dropping barbells? It doesn't mean anything at all. Well, except perhaps that you can't handle the weight you're lifting.
    when doing a 1RM on dead. I can handle lifting it, as I would not get to the top of the movement if I could not .

but when doing this kind of weight. the last three or so inches before the weight touchs the floor, the weight gains some momentum.
    I am not droping the weight, but its hardly a gentle land.

though if repping (well 3 reps plus) the weight just touches the ground. So if he training to do low reps dead. he better get some mats, or do it in the garden etc.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Rubber mats should absorb a substantial amount of shock. Go to a home furnishing outlet and get some rubber padding for stairs, sandbags, square carpet samples?

i was a little to loose in my speech, its not a drop. they are let down with control, but in the last few inches it can be very hard even dangerous to try to control it. its like body said. i am aware it probably would not go through the floor, but it could do damage over time or may break some of the boards.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 01-30-2005 at 02:19 PM.

This ought to be quite funny if we see a post next week about how his weights and rubber matt are now in the basement; simple because they went through his floor and ended up downstairs