Thread: Shoulder Problems...Help!!!

Wannabebig Member

Shoulder Problems...Help!!!

Hey new guy here, well not really new...I've been reading these forums and coming to this site for about five months now, but didn't feel the need to register untill now...I ran into some problems with my shoulders, and I need some help soon, here it goes....

I was doing chest/shoulders and I did about 30 sets total for both, I know it's too much, but I felt good and was blastin' em pretty good, anyways...Next day after I woke up I felt this stinging feeling in my right shoulder, but I could still move freely, and I tried picking up 20lb dumbbell and holding it straight and no pain, just the stinging feeling, well I went to sleep and woke up the next day and no pain at all...Tried the dumbbell thing again and still no pain, when I raise my arms as if i'm doing shoulder press movements I feel this crackling sound in my right shoulder, just one litttle tiny crack tho, nothing major...

Another thing I noticed is that if I stick my arms straight out and rotate them and as my arms are goign to the back it feels as if my shoulder is grinding, I doubt that it's a serious rotator cuff injury, I think that those musclers were over worked and pulled a bit, and another thing I did to see if it's serious is I tried doing some pushups, and haven't experienced any pain, so what do you guys think?...I'm really concerned becuase I know that if i do mess my shoulder up i'll be out for a few months and i'll loose a lot of mass, I took the rest of this week off just to make sure that i'll get better, and is it ok for me to do pull ups, rows, etc...squats still?

Wannabebig Member
    Rule number 1 IF IT HURTS THEN DONT DO IT

Did u warm up correctly?
    did u do some kind of strecthing for that area?
    Did u work chest and shoulders on the same routine or were u working incline chest?
    Is your technique ok? if not just get someone to spot u to be sure

And last but not least this is a medical question if the pain hasnt gone gone away in approx 5 - 7 days then u need to seek medical advice dude. I would be lying if I could safely diagnose this for you coz I do not have the medical expertise but u generally know if the pain has gone in that time then its either a strain or a pull anything more that 7 days then medical advice has to be sought.

Hopes this helps

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the info, I think it's more of a strain because I worked my chest and shoulders on the same day thus overloading them, and yes I did incline, thats' my favorite exercise.

A Fortnight Dead
    DEAR GOD.

30 sets?

Why?
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

30 sets? There is your problem. Too much strain on your muscles/bones can make you feel like you wanna die. Overtraining = BADDDDDD.

-Calipso

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Are you sure you did 30 sets, for BOTH? maybe you lost count somewhere? Any way you slice it though, it sounds like you did a lot of sets.......

Defkon1 said a lot of good points...always warm up, and take er easy- even if your havin a good day, no need to crank out 30 sets friend! (have you been reading FLEX again?)
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah i believe i did 30 sets, I wrote them in my journal and counted, the way i train is a bit odd...for example, i go in and its' chest day and i'll go about my training the way I feel that day, some days i'll use HIT and do very little sets with high inensity, some days i'll go high volume...and that day i did incline flys, reg. flys, and cross cable flys, but hey...i went from 220 lbs to 260 lbs since the summer

here are my measurements

ht - 6'2 ft
    weight - 260 lbs
    amrs - 17.5
    legs - 29 inches
    calves - 18 inches
    chest - 48 inches
    writs - 7 inches
    forarms - 14 inches
    ankles - 11 inches

and yeah on my chest and leg days i get carried away, but i don't really believe in over training, only in under nutrution, by the way...i posted this question on bodybuilding.com forum and not one response, this forum has a much more of a mature feel to it...so what else do you guys think about this whole shoulder thing, strained or what?

30 sets? Were you in there for a few hours? How many reps did you do for each set? No offense but I find it hard to believe that you did 30 sets.

Quote Originally Posted by enkai
    Yeah i believe i did 30 sets, I wrote them in my journal and counted, the way i train is a bit odd...for example, i go in and its' chest day and i'll go about my training the way I feel that day, some days i'll use HIT and do very little sets with high inensity, some days i'll go high volume...and that day i did incline flys, reg. flys, and cross cable flys, but hey...i went from 220 lbs to 260 lbs since the summer

here are my measurements

ht - 6'2 ft
    weight - 260 lbs
    amrs - 17.5
    legs - 29 inches
    calves - 18 inches
    chest - 48 inches
    writs - 7 inches
    forarms - 14 inches
    ankles - 11 inches

and yeah on my chest and leg days i get carried away, but i don't really believe in over training, only in under nutrution, by the way...i posted this question on bodybuilding.com forum and not one response, this forum has a much more of a mature feel to it...so what else do you guys think about this whole shoulder thing, strained or what?

OMG! 30 sets! Nearly 2 years ago too! I hope he has recovered by now.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quagmire wannabe
    lol

Gotta love old thread's being brought back from the dead.
    I heard that guy was up to his 27th set on shoulders yesterday. He should be finished his workout sometime today. It's a 2 year split.
    He who hesitates masturbates........

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fen2zla
    I heard that guy was up to his 27th set on shoulders yesterday. He should be finished his workout sometime today. It's a 2 year split.
    lol
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.