The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

personal training

what certifications are easy to get that aren't complete jokes? i don't want anything as serious as nacm, ace, issa, etc., just something that's on the easier side that's not a complete scam. online test would be preferable, thanks for any input.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

if its an online test, odds are its a joke. id go with acsm, issa, or ace.
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

what's your location?
    Never Giving In.

MA. i want to train, but those exams are geared towards way more of an all around trainer. if i were an ex sci major i'd take them, but i just want to learn / be certified for basic training, not knowing stuff like physiology etc
    Last edited by jazer80; 02-01-2005 at 09:24 PM.

i mean is it really like 5 different certifications which are all hard as hell, and then every other one is a complete joke?

Any online certification is a joke IMO.
    Get a good certification.
    Or do what I did. Build up a good reputation at the gym, enter bb or p'lifting meets, volunteer as a trainer. Then you can have lots of clients.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    Any online certification is a joke IMO.
    Get a good certification.
    Or do what I did. Build up a good reputation at the gym, enter bb or p'lifting meets, volunteer as a trainer. Then you can have lots of clients.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Hardcore
    Online Certifications are completely worthless. If you want to get certified in something, why not go all out, and go with AFPA, or ACSM. Those tests are tough, but fair. You need to know your stuff if you want to pass them. ACE is a joke no matter what anyone says. A chimp could pass that test.

At our business you have to pass our own certification exam which I think is pretty cool. There aren't many gyms that have their trainers have to pass their own certification, and it's tough. Our workouts are based on the HIT form of training, and that is the way the test is geared.

Again, do what you want, but what if you have a client who asks you a question about physiology, and how a muscle works, or where it attaches, etc? You need to know this stuff if you are going to be a good trainer. I'm sure you have a good background in lifting, but that's just part of the equation to becoming a trainer.

Adam. I'm right on pace with you. I don't like online certifications, and I think they are what is hurting the personal training industry.
    "I workout to music that makes me want to stomp on baby kittens." -David "Kick Ass" Davis

"The intended manipulation of mechanical work applied in order to stimulate a specific metabolic response."
    -Dr. Ben Bocchocchio on the Definition of Exercise

Trainers who don't know what they are doing hurt the industry.

I'd get a meaningful certification (not one your gym makes up) like NSCA CPT. Otherwise, follow Adam's advice.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Back it up with a degree, also. Anything that can establish credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    MA. i want to train, but those exams are geared towards way more of an all around trainer. if i were an ex sci major i'd take them, but i just want to learn / be certified for basic training, not knowing stuff like physiology etc
    CHeck this school out. I don't know exactly where you live in ma but I highly recommend this school. It will teach you far more then a typical online class or weekend course will. Very hands on a very respectable.

http://www.nationalpersonaltrainingi...chool_Id=02452
    Last edited by waynis; 02-02-2005 at 09:16 AM.
    Never Giving In.

to pass a legitimate pt exam you have to have quite a bit of knowledge on anatomy/physiology not to mention proper technique on doing body comp. bp. flexibility tests, etc/
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

i understand that if i wanted to make a CAREER out of this i should 'go all out'. i don't want to do this for a career. i know a lot about basic training, and could help out many people at my school. i am attempting this as a job until i finish college, which is a year and a half away, so studying for a hard exam for 6 months is kind of pointless. i know enough to be an effective trainer for males my age who are looking for strength or size. thanks for all of your input, but that's not really what i'm looking for, as i don't intend to make a life out of this (well i do want a life in this industry, but not as a trainer)

goddamn waynis, six thousand dollars and 500 hours of training? that's more time and money than i'd need for a nationally accredited certification

If I could live a finacially stable life as a PT, I would.
    But in my area its not a feasable idea.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    goddamn waynis, six thousand dollars and 500 hours of training? that's more time and money than i'd need for a nationally accredited certification
    True but you leave this class more confident then any other program i've seen could supply you with. The things i've learned changed my life. Sure I could have gotten some cheap certification but I wanted to know what i'am doing and know i've had one of the best courses. I'am planning on making a career out of it so it was cheaper then college thats for sure.
    Last edited by waynis; 02-02-2005 at 08:34 PM.
    Never Giving In.

:withstupi
    don't forget not everyone is into bodybuilding.
    You have to know everything from minor rehab of injuries to competitive bodybuilding/powerlifting to recreation soccer moms.

see that's not what i'm going for. i just want to train people my age, my sex, and who just want to learn basic strength training / fitness / nutrition. nobody w/ injuries, disabilities, adults, women, or competitive.

look i don't want to argue, that's not why i started this thread. i meet people, many people in a given week, who i know for sure that i could really help. i work at GNC, which is a half mile from my campus. i meet kids every day who just want to know what they're doing, and they think buying supplements is what they need to do. i know i'm not qualified for training somene who is super competitive or has special needs, nor do i want to train them. i just want to help people that i see all the time, who have no idea what the hell they're doing. i don't want to go for a certification expecting to learn tons from it, because i know everything i need to for getting people going in this lifestyle. they can go pay twice as much hourly for a more specialized trainer when they need a better one, but i know that doing this will be better for me than just working my current job, and i also know i'd be able to change people's health, so it's something that i'm going to do.
    Last edited by jazer80; 02-02-2005 at 09:41 PM.

Quagmire wannabe
    What happen's if the guy your training injures himself? Since you don't want to train guy's with injuries are you going to tell him that he is on his own now?
    He who hesitates masturbates........

If you only want specific clients you won't have many, if any.

see i think i will, since i'm at a school w/ 30,000 kids my age, plus like four other colleges in the area. plus i'm vice president of the wrestling team, and my buddy is the coach of a high school wrestling team. i meet my ideal type of person daily. look if you guys know an online test that's even a shred better than the rest, please let me know. i'm not gonna be talked out of this, and i won't hide if i fail, and you can tell me how dumb it was then, and i won't complain. i believe it will work, so i want to try, and if i fail, i fail.

If you want to make money and improve people's lives, then aim your training for the people who are in the 40-60 year old age range, professional types, etc. A lot of trainers want to go with the younger, hotter housewife types, but trust me when I say, that the 40+ crowd is an un-tapped market-they have the money, they are serious about getting the results, they will do what you say and they have friends who they will refer to you.

Also, if you want to train and have some fear of injuries, etc. hook up with a local doctor, sport doctor, DC, etc. who you can work with-have potential patients get entrance exams, etc. to be sucessful, you have to learn to network.

ya i got most of that info from a book i got on personal training (best demographics, get physicals first, etc. don't feel like getting into all the details, but i'd imagine the people w/ money would just go to their local gym and use a trainer there. and pay forty to a hundred an hour. however, college students, who i would be best with, don't have much money. so for a cheaper rate i could teach what i know). but i don't like the people in my area (western mass, ridiculously liberal, lots of people get on my nerves). i know you guys think i'll have trouble finding clients, but again, i don't. there's five universities in my town, plus i have referrals from high school wrestling teams, so again, i'm only interested in people my age.

please don't take this as disrespectful, but again i'm not going to be talked out of this or convinced to approach it a different way. if you have something that can help i'd appreciate it. just keep this thread in your subscribed folder, i'll definitely post my progress so you can see what's happening.

Just be a PT for free for a couple weeks, build up a rep, then start charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    Just be a PT for free for a couple weeks, build up a rep, then start charging.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony