Thread: Need new routine

Wannabebig Member

Need new routine

I've been trying WBB#1 for about a month now. My arm gains are flying. My legs are increasing gradually. But my chest and back are stuck. (Except for deadlifts). Now they can't have plateued because, as I said, my deads are still increasing. My dad says it's because I'm training tris and shoulders too close to chest, bis too close to back, and the deadlifts are interfering with legs. It makes enough sense.

Then he suggested a routine. Last time I took his routine I overtrained for a solid year, since every time I asked why I wasn't gaining he said "you've just gotta work harder!"

Anyway, the theoretical split was chest/shoulders/tris on one day, back/bis/legs on another. This doesn't bother me so much as he thinks I should go twelve sets per body part. Like I said, the low-volume WBB#1 was working for me, but I don't have enough recuperation time with it.

So I'm not sure yet. Does 36 sets per day sound pretty normal, or should I drop the volume (and if so, how much)?

Edit: I can only get down to the gym three days a week.
    Last edited by Homz; 03-14-2005 at 03:37 PM.

36 sets per day is only normal if you're a professional level bodybuilder....and even then I'm not quite sure.

You're doing fine, just keep at it.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with him that I need to switch it up, though, my chest and back are more important to me than arms and they're what's suffering

I just don't want to overtrain myself. to death. again.

Banned
    Just try working muscle groups once a week. With 3 sets each of heavy weight.

How can you know after just a month?

If you want to focus more on your chest and back, add a little more work for them, and eliminate a little direct arm work.

I think your dad is on to something, but I wouldn't do that many sets.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Why don't you start WBB#2?

Quote Originally Posted by Homz
    I've been trying WBB#1 for about a month now. My arm gains are flying. My legs are increasing gradually. But my chest and back are stuck. (Except for deadlifts). Now they can't have plateued because, as I said, my deads are still increasing. My dad says it's because I'm training tris and shoulders too close to chest, bis too close to back, and the deadlifts are interfering with legs. It makes enough sense.

Then he suggested a routine. Last time I took his routine I overtrained for a solid year, since every time I asked why I wasn't gaining he said "you've just gotta work harder!"

Anyway, the theoretical split was chest/shoulders/tris on one day, back/bis/legs on another. This doesn't bother me so much as he thinks I should go twelve sets per body part. Like I said, the low-volume WBB#1 was working for me, but I don't have enough recuperation time with it.

So I'm not sure yet. Does 36 sets per day sound pretty normal, or should I drop the volume (and if so, how much)?

Edit: I can only get down to the gym three days a week.

Ignore your dad. Go back to WBB #1. Make sure you are eating right and getting enough rest. Tell your dad one grows outside of the gym, not in it. If he doesn't agree, he can join WBB and tell us all about it!
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Ignore your dad. Go back to WBB #1. Make sure you are eating right and getting enough rest. Tell your dad one grows outside of the gym, not in it. If he doesn't agree, he can join WBB and tell us all about it!
    I eat small countries daily, and try to sleep as much as I can (averages out to about 8 hours a night, sometimes 9 if I'm lucky). Is this a normal complaint with WBB #1, slow chest progression? Will I get used to it? I mean, I've been overtraining for at least a solid year now, I just wanna get everything straight.

I think you're worrying too much.

Check back with us in a little over three months and see what happens.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Gains don't coome quickly. IT TAKES TIME!!! If you don't notice a difference after 3 months of solid training and good diet, then get back to us.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300