The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: sets and reps

Banned

sets and reps

I am changing my routine from sets of 8-10 reps to failure to sets of 4-5 reps to failure. Will I cause hypertrophy by going this low in reps or will it cause me to lose size? I figure it will make me stronger, but I don't want to lose any size. Another thing, what will cause more growth in this example... 6 sets of a given exercise for 10 reps, or 6 sets of a given exercise for 5 reps? In Both of these examples I would be going to failure on all sets. Lets use flat benches as the exercise. my current 1RM on the bench is 290, so I could probably grind out 5 reps with 230 lbs, at least for the first set or two before I would have to lower the weight a little to get 5 reps on the last couple of sets. Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't think you'll lose size if you focus on strength. Just make sure you are getting more than adequate calories. For hypertrophy, I believe optimally you are looking for muscular fatigue, which you can still achieve to some degree working in lower rep ranges. So you should be able to get stronger, and dependent on how much you eat, continue to grow somewhat, or at least maintain your current lean mass.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Just so I understand.....8-10 reps is what one would be aiming at to gain size, muscle-cell volume etc, and 4-6 reps would be the goal for strength, but not necessarily size?? I am asking because I have gone down to 6 reps with the heaviest weight I can do 6 full reps with in the hopes of packing on size quicker (as opposed to doing higher reps). Have I been going about this wrong? I figured heavier weight = bigger muscles?

Most people I've heard from on here say that 6-8 reps per set works best for gaining size and strength. There is no need to go to failure, either. Going to failure can make it easier to break form and cause an injury. If you go to one rep before failure you'll still induce hypertrophy.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

[QUOTE=Brock Huard]Just so I understand.....8-10 reps is what one would be aiming at to gain size, muscle-cell volume etc, and 4-6 reps would be the goal for strength, but not necessarily size??QUOTE]

yep. Some of the strongest men in the world aren't very big.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits