The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am a 105lbs weakling, I want to gain weight, but will it take me years?

Hello everyone, I found your awesome board and I decided to register and post this question.

All my life I have been very thin and weak.. I am currently 19 years old at 5'7" 105-110lbs. I know being this thin is unhealthy and I want to change badly. It's very embarrasing and I am extrememly self-concious because of it. Through high school I had to listen to comments such as "I could cave his chest in" or "I can snap his arms like twigs". I am very weak also, I can barely do 3 pushups and in PE class freshman year of high school I could only lift the 45lbs bar at max. I have a feeling its not any different now.

For the past few weeks I have been doing tons of research and I have discovered so many things. For the longest time I thought that lifting weights would burn calories and not help me gain weight. Now I understand in order to gain weight I need to start a weight training program and a diet eating 6 meals a day with foods high in protein + carbs and little fat.

My real question here is that given my current physical condition will it take me years to get to the point where I simply look "normal" and have a normal weight? My good friend tells me for someone like me it will take years just to get to a normal weight/strength range and at least look small and not sickly. However I've had a lot of other people tell me I can gain weight in 6 months. I would really like to gain 25lbs or so and weigh around 130 to start. I know that is still super skinny but it would be awesome compared to what I weigh now.

Does anyone know of anyone else who went from being so incredibly thin to a normal weight? I'd apprechiate any advice any of you could offer. Thank you

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

F'n RAGE man, RAGE
    OMG, I could not imagine someone being that small. Girls are rarely that skinny. That has to be a miscalculation on that weight. That would be like skin and bones LITERALLY, like starving like the holocaust skinny
    Height: 5'8''
    Weight: 188
    Body Fat: 12.4%

Yes, I did. Just eat a lot. Don't worry about eating certain things. Just eat it. As long as you have enough protein, the rest of your breakdown doesn't really matter, as long as you're taking in a ton of calories.

You could gain 30lbs in one year if you applied yourself. It won't all be muscle, but you need to add mass in general.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

F'n RAGE man, RAGE
    Just eat EVERYTHING IN SITE. I would say stick to a clean diet, but you need to eat EVERYTHING.... You starving.
    Height: 5'8''
    Weight: 188
    Body Fat: 12.4%

I used to be about 108 at 5'6" a year ago...with about 2 months of training and alot of food I was up too 130...then I took off a few months and trained on a pretty low calorie diet during the summer, missing workouts and not eating enough...I ended up at around 10% bf at 125 and then at the end of september I started bulking...i'm now up to 150...so its definately possible...

just eat and make sure the number on the scale is going up every week...

You could make some good gains in 6th months and could gain lots of strength and weight. Just Eat TONS of protein calories carbs good fats.. etc.. Look at the sticky what a bodybuilder eats, and try to get a routine going WBB1 you can start out good luck with everything and one more thing EAT!!
    Started Weight - 130
    Current Weight - 171 as of 2\18\05 WOOHOO
    GOAL - 175-180

Height - 5'6

My jornal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=61203

Straight outta Compton
    I think you could gain more than 30lbs? I am aiming for 50-75 for summer.

Just calculate how much you eat each day in terms of calories. Then add 500 a week or so till your at about 2000-2500 more calories then what you eat now. Add in about 1g of protein per lb and you will be good to go.

Just hit the gym, have your friend come up and lift with you or something; try to develop a routine that helps you out the best.

But seriously... you need to start eatting more. An apple for lunch doesnt cut it.
    6'5" 200lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfan04
    OMG, I could not imagine someone being that small. Girls are rarely that skinny. That has to be a miscalculation on that weight. That would be like skin and bones LITERALLY, like starving like the holocaust skinny
    Uh well I'm not quiet holocaust skinny but im pretty bad. you can kinda see my ribs but if I suck in I might look like a holocaust kid

I would post a pic but then I think you might have a seizure or something.

OK thanks for your comments everyone..

I'm going to have some trouble going to a gym as the closest around me is probably 25 mins not to mention I am extrememly self concious and I wouldnt feel too comfortable in a place like that..

I've talk to some people about a home gym setup and I am willing to spend whatever it takes. I want to get a good weight bench that does incline/flat/decline, olympic bar + weight set, dumbbells and a power rack for safety, chinups, and sqauts. Will this be enough to help me in my weight gain goal?

in before everyone says man up and go to a gym

Don't listen to your friend. I can tell by his comment, that it will take you years, that he knows little to nothing about proper training. Bodybuilding is something that does take time, but your progress is directly related to your routine and diet.

In your case, diet will be even more critical than it is for others, but don't let that discourage you. As Pitfan04 said, eat everything in site. You must take in more calories than your body burns in a day to make gains, and then some. Another key thing that a lot of new lifters don't realize is that your body grows outside of the gym. Lifting for 3 hours a day, 6 days a week is going be less effective than 1 hour a day 3-5 times a week. The reason being is that your body grows while it rests, not while you work out. It has to recover from your time in the gym and build itself back up. If you're always lifting, then your body never has time to recover and get bigger and stronger. Which brings you back to your diet. You have to have nutrients in your body for it to recover and grow larger.

I think that sort of ties it all together. This forum and its parent website, wannabebig.com, has loads of great advice, tips and routines to try out. All which will help you put on weight. The forum itself is great for getting questions answered and doing research. So get crackin' junior. Good luck and welcome to the board.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    Don't listen to your friend. I can tell by his comment, that it will take you years, that he knows little to nothing about proper training. Bodybuilding is something that takes time, but your progress is directly related to your routine and diet. In your case, diet will be even more critical than it is for others, but don't let that discourage you. As Pitfan04 said, eat everything in site. You must take in more calories than your body burns in a day to make gains, and then some. Another key thing that a lot of new lifters don't realize is that your body grows outside of the gym. Lifting for 3 hours a day, 6 days a week is going be less effective than 1 hour a day 3-5 times a week. The reason being is that your body grows outside of the gym. It has to recover from your time in the gym and build back up. If you're always lifting, then your body never has time to recover and build itself up bigger and stronger.
    I had an idea he was wrong.. he just started lifting like 3 months ago but its all he talks about and he acts like he knows everything. I actually think I know more than him about it from all the research ive done online but coming from me he would laugh if i told him that.

Thats really good advice about growing outside the gym.. I did not realize this myself until only recently. I found a really good site with lots of info (www.musclegaintips.com) from a guy named anthony ellis and he talks about all the basics of bulking. He has me convinced and I might purchase his program designed for skinny guys to gain weight.

One more thing my frend told me that maybe you guys can disprove is that it would only hurt me to start lifting weights now. He said first I need to build a base doing pushups and situps for 3 months then I can start weight training. Is there truth to this?
    Last edited by NormanNormal; 01-31-2005 at 05:38 PM.

hmm. no
    Started Weight - 130
    GOAL - 175-180

Height - 5'6

My jornal

Pushups situps etc.. they may help you a little bit form the begging but IMO you would be better of doing the weight you can for now
    Started Weight - 130
    GOAL - 175-180

Height - 5'6

My jornal

Quote Originally Posted by snowster900
    Pushups situps etc.. they may help you a little bit form the begging but IMO you would be better of doing the weight you can for now
    Yeah it only seems logical to me that I would make better progress doing a variety of exercises with weights than just doing pushups/situps.. I better not listen to him for advice anymore

Quote Originally Posted by NormanNormal
    I had an idea he was wrong.. he just started lifting like 3 months ago but its all he talks about and he acts like he knows everything. I actually think I know more than him about it from all the research ive done online but coming from me he would laugh if i told him that.

Thats really good advice about growing outside the gym.. I did not realize this myself until only recently. I found a really good site with lots of info (www.musclegaintips.com) from a guy named anthony ellis and he talks about all the basics of bulking. He has me convinced and I might purchase his program designed for skinny guys to gain weight.

One more thing my frend told me that maybe you guys can disprove is that it would only hurt me to start lifting weights now. He said first I need to build a base doing pushups and situps for 3 months then I can start weight training. Is there truth to this?
    Don't bother buying a program when you can get all the information you need here for free! Just look through the articles, hit the gym (just go, only ****-heads would make fun of you for being skinny) and eat until you feel like you can't stand up becuase you're so weighted down with food. Also, don't worry about posting pics here, no one will make fun, instead they will give you pointers on where to go. I'm sure with proper diet, training, and REST you could easily put on 50lbs before you know it.

Hmmm.
    First, don't put yourself down for the weight you're at now; just be determined to 'up the weight' from there; like the guys are saying, EAT-primarily red meat, chicken, tuna, pasta, etc. You don't have to worry TOO much about eating 'clean' but should be obvious you'll go further with milk, OJ, etc. vs pop, chips, candy 'snack food' etc.

Next, your best bet would be to join a gym & make it a ritual. Get some sweats on; you'll be less self conscious & it's nobody's D*** biz anyway. My gut tells me you'd be better off working out by yourself; doing YOUR own thing; albeit sensible, rather than what your friend tells you. You'll probably have to hunker down; don't pay any attention to what others are doing; do your sets/reps with GOOD form, slowly & methodically with a weight.....doesn't matter a sh** if it's just the bar....you can sucessfuly rep out 8-10 times & not struggle for 3 sets. Give yourself a month or so to get your muscles used to 'working out' & the movements before starting to 'push' yourself. They'll respond. You'll get plenty of good advice here from the wbb members.

One other thing. EAT & STAY off the d*** scale for a couple of months; if you keep checking; even weekly, it could drive you crazy. Let the mirror be your guide, but in order for that to work, you've got to get some food, training & rest under your belt.

You're 19. Drop the 'forever' word; tho its a gift for you. Ten long years & you're still only 29 & could be a very respectable Hulk.

Think about the light weight collegiate wrestlers. They're not that much heavier than you; they're just in incredible shape. Here's one random example. http://www.themat.com/athletebios/pr...l.asp?aid=9021 Look at his stats.
    You've got the potential too. Go for it
    Last edited by Ironrelic; 01-31-2005 at 06:06 PM.

Eat like 3 chickens a day, Ya know those full chickens you get for like $7? I like those. Though I should be cutting, I don't know why I eat them, lol.

wow Ironrelic thanks for the info.. I really have hope for the future now. I hope I can just man up and join a gym but my friend who lives with me is also very skinny and he wants to start weight training too.. we were thinking of spliting the cost of a good home gym with all freeweights + power rack and workout together. I hope progress can be made this way because thats most likely what i'll be doing.

Wannabebig Member
    It is really good you putting effort into it, i would get a protein supplements and just lift, lift and lift. if you are commited you will put on the pounds trust me.

Wannabebig Member
    I started out like you, then I did alot of reading and eating, seriously I would eat anything that didint move, and if it did move I would physicaly stop it moving then eat it, and workout following WWB routine 1, and saw amazing results.

I am really interested in hearing about your progress, I hope you stick around and mabye start a journal or something

I actually think I know more than him about it from all the research ive done online...

It sounds like you do

I might purchase his program designed for skinny guys to gain weight.

Don't. There's absolutely nothing you will learn from him that you can't learn on this forum. The fact that he's selling a program "designed for skinny guys" only makes me think it's a gimick with little to know valuable information. The fact of the matter is, food will make you bigger, not some magic workout routine. Take that x-amount of dollars you would have spent on his routine and invest in some F O O D.

It would hurt you more if all you did was situps and pushups. Those are no substitute for actual weight training. There's no such thing as "building a base". You're either building or you are not.

Tell you what I would say to your friend. Tell him to approach it his way, and you're going to approach it your way. See who has better gains and a better build after those 3 months. If you're doing it right, you'll blow him out of the water and force him to eat his own B.S.

Last edited by Tim Nissen; 01-31-2005 at 07:14 PM.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Like others said before, Dont be embarrased when you go to the gym. There are a ton of people out there like you who aren't trying to do anything about it. Be happy that you are trying and don't give a **** about what they say. I used to be about 115 at 5'11... now that's skinny. I used to get the same comments that you did. But I gained about 40 lbs. of lean mass in a year (50 lbs. with the fat) and now I am bigger than most of the people who used to talk crap. If my skinny *** can do it, anybody can. GOOD LUCk man

wow Ironrelic thanks for the info.. I really have hope for the future now. I hope I can just man up and join a gym but my friend who lives with me is also very skinny and he wants to start weight training too.. we were thinking of spliting the cost of a good home gym with all freeweights + power rack and workout together. I hope progress can be made this way because thats most likely what i'll be doing.

Man if you start, stick with it, I was 128lbs and 5'8 and I put on 30lbs in one year, one year isn't alot of time it goes by quick. Stay motivated and listen to your body. Eat.. then eat some more and be patient and I promise you you will see results. There are lots of knowlegable people on this forums who can help you so don't be affaid to ask any questions. Good Luck
    Current: 5'8 165lbs

First off great for you ,your making the first step. I've been lifting for 25 years and am still learning.
    The toughest thing is, do you have what it takes to go the long haul, yes your making the first step but you need to change the way you think. Make bodybuilding/weight lifting a habit. There are alot of sites like this one and they all have there good and bad points. But read,read,read knowledge is power. PM me if you want a list of other sites, some offer sections geared for someone in you shoes.
    Above all else as you learn to weight train learn FORM I can't stress that enough. Nothing is worse that getting injured because of bad form ,I've learned that lesson the hard way more than once ,it's not fun.
    There are alot of theories on how to start a workout program find one that fits your life and as you progress you'll learn what works for you.
    Food yes eat ALOT that doesn't mean tons of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Keep your food as healthy as possable and eat 6-8 small meals a day if you can. And another VERY important thing to remember is drink water ,alot of water at least 1/2 gallon a day if not more avoid soda's and yes you'll pee alot.
    Get plenty of rest, at least 8-10 hour a night.
    As far as lifting weights you dont need to go heavy. Do many reps with light weight and good form ( slow reps) there is so much to explain here the best thing to do is read up on it.
    The good news is in just 6 weeks you'll start seeing changes. Thats what did it for me when I was a teenage. I said to myself," wow" this is really working and it just snow balled from there.
    There are alot of supplements out there designed to help you put on weight Pm me and I'll help you there too.
    The key is to develope a true compassion for weightlifting and the time will fly by and before you know you'll be a big bad mofo............
    I remember as a kid other kids would make fun of me for the same reason. Look there's Kenny he's as skinny as a penny. That all changed the day I got a weight set for christmas or was it my BD oh well.
    If your serious PM me I can point you in some good directions.
    So look out world here you come lol......................

does it seem like most people who start lifting are out of shape when they start? just wonering...

anyway, you are REALLY TINY, i think you will make RAPID gains if you increase your diet. seriously, try to get fat off healthy food (just keep putting it down) and try wbb1.

try to get 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day and make sure you consume maybe about 1000 calories more than your used to. within several months of proper lifting and eating i would be willing to bet you'll pass your friend and just keep going...
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 01-31-2005 at 08:23 PM.