Thread: Does alchohol reduce muscle mass?

Wannabebig Member

Does alchohol reduce muscle mass?

K im a teenager.....what do i do on the weekends? get drunk of course=)
    and i dont go to the gym on the weekend either because i go everyday and thats my days off. me and a friend of mine where talking and he said something like that alchohol reduces ur muscles over time. i got to thinking about it and i always feel small monday morning, is there any truth to this or is it total bs?

I think your friend might be onto something. Getting p*ssed dehydrates your body, and I think it acts in a way that stops the way protein is used in helping your muscles along. If I drink (which I used to do in copious amounts, but since comencing training is in the past) I might have a glass of red wine and absolutely no more than three. I drink good ol' H2O in between and pace my three glasses. Hope this helps. Anyone else wanna help this dude out some more?
    Give me DOMS or give me death

Solid
    Alcohol does not reduce muscle mass, it slows your metabolism.

You feel small Monday morning because you didn't go to the gym all weekend.

The only way alcohol will reduce muscle mass is if you drink so much you never go to the gym.
    If you're not lifting hard, you're taking up space.
    Get the f$*# out.

24 years old
    5'9"
    205lbs. ->212lbs. as of 10.22.04 -> 219lbs. as of 12.10.04
    10% bf ->11% -> 12%
    46 1/2" chest ->47" -> 48"
    17 1/2" arms ->17 3/4" -> 18"
    32" waist ->same -> 33"
    26" quads -> 27 1/2" -> 28 1/2"
    17" calves -> 17 3/4" -> 18"

(I'm still working on these as of 12.13.04)

425lbs. bench
    515+lbs. deadlift
    450+lbs.squats

updated 10.14.04, and again on 12.13.04

Banned
    I think it depletes glycogen or something (dont quote me on this).. Because the weight loss i experience after a night heavy drinking is the same as the temporary weight loss after the depletion work of UltimateDiet2.0

Its about the naked thing! FireBug's Avatar
    When i usta drink my logic was for every ounce of alchol i drank, i drank 1 glass of water. (i did primarly shots back in those days)

Now, drinking will hurt your lifting, you will have less rest time, less good food in your body as well you will be more dehydrated. If you are drinking take measures to counter act these effects.

MilliVanilli
    Alright, wow...I can't believe no one has pointed out the greatest downfall of drinking alcohol.

Alcohol lowers your testerone levels.
    More testerone usually equates to more muscle mass/the ability to put on more muscle mass.

The other major downfall that was pointed out here is that it slows your metabolism is completely empty calories. If you're trying to put on weight its not effective at all because theres basically 0 useful nutrients in it.

decreases protein synthesis. and the reason you feel small monday morning isnt cuz you didnt lift all weekend..its cuz your DEHYDRATED!
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Disciple#1
    Quote Originally Posted by ianack4life
    Alright, wow...I can't believe no one has pointed out the greatest downfall of drinking alcohol.

Alcohol lowers your testerone levels.
    More testerone usually equates to more muscle mass/the ability to put on more muscle mass.

The other major downfall that was pointed out here is that it slows your metabolism is completely empty calories. If you're trying to put on weight its not effective at all because theres basically 0 useful nutrients in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by the one
    decreases protein synthesis. and the reason you feel small monday morning isnt cuz you didnt lift all weekend..its cuz your DEHYDRATED!
    :withstupi 's

Read this http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=57140
    Last edited by Rik-s; 02-01-2005 at 12:38 PM.
    You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you can.