The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    Senior Member accuFLEX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,190

    Deadlifts at your gym? *rant*

    [Rant]
    Is it just at the gym I go to, or does no one do deadlifts? I mean, I could count on one hand and still have 2 fingers left, the amount of people I have seen doing deadlifts in person at the gym. Why don’t people do these? I mean, everyone does bench, tris, and bicep work, but never back or squats for that matter.

    Why arnt people taught these exercises during there “orientation” session? Every day I see people getting these, yet I have never seen the so called “trainer” teach anyone anything other than leg extensions, bench, tricep and bicep work.

    Im am a firm believer in deadlifts and squats and IMO, without them you will a) look like a ****** for having a huge chest and arms b) not develop and solid looking body and c) IMO, deads and squats are needed to grow the entire body better

    So why does no one do them? Im sick of people looking at me like im a freak of nature because I do them. Like yesterday I was going about my business, and I had about 5 people just stare at me during my set. I mean WTF?

    Maybe this is just at the gym I go to....but I think more people should learn how to do something other then just bench, tri, and bicep work!

    [/End Rant]

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    I drink your milkshake twm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,852
    At least at the gyms I've gone to, the orientation doesn't cover freeweights because of liability. If you pay for a PT, I'm sure they would introduce you to them though - which most people will never do.
    Last edited by twm5993; 02-01-2005 at 07:58 AM.

  4. #3
    MilliVanilli
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    287
    ....myself and my partners do SLDL, and I'm the only one in the gym now that I've seen do traditional deadlifts.


    Infact my ******ed gym owner just came over to me yesterday when I was deading and goes "Do I even need to say anything?" This moron doesn't like when we grunt or clang weights. Usually we're pretty good about that sort of stuff anyway and don't go out of our way to be *******s, but I was going heavy and he had the nerve to say something to me. Fat old, sob.

  5. #4
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,317
    I see people doing deads at my gym, (though not many considering how many people use it). Unfortunately, they usually are doing them with bad form, and when I try to tell them that for some reason they keep on doing it the way they were doing.

    Since I go to a university gym, there are all kinds there, from serious powerlifters (U of I has an excellent powerlifting club) to the sorority girls doing tricep kickbacks with 3 lb dumbells. And I see some people doing things that are just inexplicable.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  6. #5
    Professional hobbit Focused70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hobbiton, The Shire
    Posts
    7,811
    We must not go to the same gyms.

    Whilst we have our share of curl jockeys, there are some serious lifters at my gym and they look it. I can count on more than one hand the number of people who regularly do deads, SLDLs and other assorted lifts. Saw one person do GMs the other day, a few do walking lunges.

    Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah


    Food log

    The Focused Chronicles

  7. #6
    Baby Seal Clubber ElPietro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    12,778
    Why do you care what others are doing?

    If I were a PT, I wouldn't introduce new trainees to deadlifts either. It's fairly advanced, and until they can gain some form of good core strength, and learn the value of proper lifting form I wouldn't be showing them either.

    Train YOU, don't worry about what other people are doing. If everyone started doing deadlifts you'd have to start a new bitchy thread on how you can't deadlift because everyone is always using the racks or bars.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

    Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

    ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

    A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

    If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

    Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

    I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

    Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

    Current FFFA Enforcer

  8. #7
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,816
    i think im the only one who deadlifts out of about 4 gyms I go to

  9. #8
    Moderator Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    5,720
    I'm sorta taking pete's oppinion.
    I only show new people to squats/deads etc if i know i will be seeing them for at least 3-4more times.
    I'm showing a guy right now how to squat and so far we've done about 6sessions and were still tweaking his form.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

    "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

    "A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

    "However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

    Powerlifting Westside Style

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    London U.K
    Posts
    632
    Because squats and deadlifts F***ing hurt.
    People just aren't used to that level of pain, and would just think 'f*ck this, it ain't worth it.'
    your ten rep max (and I mean 'max') on squats, whatever weight it is, is gonna' hurt.
    When those people were looking at you it was probably out of admiration more than anything.

  11. #10
    Its about the naked thing! FireBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    161
    Hey, if those where 5 hot staring woman you would not have been complaining, rather you would have been bragging. If they watch, then give them a good show, lift with great form and hammer the weight out. **** them if they cant do it, and would you really want to walk into a gym with one cage and 10 people in line?

    I understand where the rant is comming from, noone in my gym does anything but bench/curl/shoulder. But then they wonder why in the 2 years i have been there why my progression is 100% better then theirs, why my lifts are double theirs. I answer simply, "cause i know what i am doing". (although this is only 75% true)
    Last edited by FireBug; 02-01-2005 at 12:02 PM.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Vapour Trails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    812
    Yeah I rarely see people doing deads or squats at my gym. Most are bench/curl jockeys.

    Personally, I like the fact that nobody knows what they are doing, it just means I'll surpass them quickly.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    422
    No one wants to take the time to learn about squats or deads, or has any will power now a days.

  14. #13
    3:16
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    4,254
    its hard work.
    I am happy most people do not squat or deadlift as this frees up the squat rack and stop most of the disc in the gym being used.
    Plus it lets me be a lot stronger and have bigger legs that them.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

  15. #14
    3:16
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    4,254
    its hard work.
    I am happy most people do not squat or deadlift as this frees up the squat rack and stop most of the disc in the gym being used.
    Plus it lets me be a lot stronger and have bigger legs that them.
    For those people who say flat barbell bench is a ego exercise. deadlifting over 600 pounds if a far bigger ego lift compared to the people who just do bench when they lift about 250 pounds at most.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

  16. #15
    Fury Divine RickTheDestroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,114
    My gym is awesome, as it's run by a former bodybuilder/powerlifter.
    Not only does he encourage squats and deads by having a board with the best lifts in the big 3 by weight class, he'll give you pointers and encourage people who are going for PR's. Chalk is provided, although the bowl is sometimes a little low.
    He taught JustinASU how to wrap his knees and showed him little tricks for his deadlift.

  17. #16
    Senior Member IronKidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    106
    Iv'e seen one person do dead's, serious.

    Edit - That's not true, Iv'e seen a personal trainer get a women to do Stiff Legged Deads. But other that that..
    Last edited by IronKidd; 02-01-2005 at 02:58 PM.

  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    286
    personally i never got into them, but i work out my entire body anyway.

  19. #18
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX
    [Rant]
    Is it just at the gym I go to, or does no one do deadlifts? I mean, I could count on one hand and still have 2 fingers left, the amount of people I have seen doing deadlifts in person at the gym. Why don’t people do these? I mean, everyone does bench, tris, and bicep work, but never back or squats for that matter.

    Why arnt people taught these exercises during there “orientation” session? Every day I see people getting these, yet I have never seen the so called “trainer” teach anyone anything other than leg extensions, bench, tricep and bicep work.

    Im am a firm believer in deadlifts and squats and IMO, without them you will a) look like a ****** for having a huge chest and arms b) not develop and solid looking body and c) IMO, deads and squats are needed to grow the entire body better

    So why does no one do them? Im sick of people looking at me like im a freak of nature because I do them. Like yesterday I was going about my business, and I had about 5 people just stare at me during my set. I mean WTF?

    Maybe this is just at the gym I go to....but I think more people should learn how to do something other then just bench, tri, and bicep work!

    [/End Rant]
    I agree that people should work legs, and stick to the basics. But I dont deadlift and I dont feel my development has suffered in the slightest. No one movement is absolutely necassary.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    354
    At my gym, I'm pretty much the only guy that deadlifts consistently. My wife deadlifts, and she's pulled almost 300lbs, so she's hauling more than most of the guys who do deadlift. She's not big either, just 150lbs.

    I saw one guy really try to deadlift once, he was training some other guy and they were working out together. His back was rounded like it was going to snap, I swear it hurt just to watch him.

    Nevertheless, he got 500lbs to his knees before gravity gave his spinal erectors a reality check.

  21. #20
    *412* AKraut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    371
    When I started lifting at a downtown YMCA when I was 17, I picked out the guys that I wanted to look like, and watched them, a lot. It only took a few times of watching those 250lb ex-cons pulling 500lb deadlifts and squatting with bending bars to realize that that's who I needed to talk to and that's how I wanted to train. I think deadlifts and squats have a stigma regarding back/spine injuries, little do people realize that they'll probably get a worse injury from some newfangled tricep excersize they conjured up.

    I actually love when people watch me deadlift, it motivates me, and the less people I see doing the fundamental lifts, the bigger advantage I feel I have on them.....

  22. #21
    Still Plugging Away -TIM-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,590
    Quote Originally Posted by ilankaplan1
    personally i never got into them, but i work out my entire body anyway.
    That's good that you work your entire body. But, you would be working your body in a more efficient and productive manner by structuring your back and leg workouts around squats and deads. I would be curious to know what you do for legs. Leg press, leg curls and extensions are probably the most popular ones that people do. But doing only those exercises would be like substituting cable flies for bench press. But nobody would do that. Because everybody wants to have a big chest so they do the best exercise. Not everybody wants big legs (because they're less noticable) so they don't bother doing the best exercise for them.

    Bottom line, if you want a strong back and great set of wheels, focus on deads, squats and variations of the two.

    As far as accu's original rant, I think there are three reasons why people don't do deadlifts.

    1. They think they are bad for your back, that it would put you at a high risk of low back injury. Which to a degree is correct (the second part). But it's like any exerices you do, if you do it wrong, you can hurt yourself. This is why both El and Adam advised against showing new trainees. The fact of the matter is, if you do deadlifts properly, then you will have a stronger lower back that will be less prone to injury.

    2. People just don't understand how beneficial of an exercise that they are.

    3. They're a tough exercise. A lot of people aren't willing to work that hard. I've actually heard people say they don't like certain exercises because they were too hard. I was dumbfounded at the comment. It really made me want to question why they were even in a gym if they didn't want to do hard exercises. But I realized it would have been a waste of my time to even probe on that one.

    Oh well, none of it really matters. Like El said, who cares what others are doing. It has no bearing on you or what you're trying to accomplish.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

    Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

  23. #22
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    That's good that you work your entire body. But, you would be working your body in a more efficient and productive manner by structuring your back and leg workouts around squats and deads. I would be curious to know what you do for legs. Leg press, leg curls and extensions are probably the most popular ones that people do. But doing only those exercises would be like substituting cable flies for bench press. But nobody would do that. Because everybody wants to have a big chest so they do the best exercise. Not everybody wants big legs (because they're less noticable) so they don't bother doing the best exercise for them.

    Bottom line, if you want a strong back and great set of wheels, focus on deads, squats and variations of the two.

    As far as accu's original rant, I think there are three reasons why people don't do deadlifts.

    1. They think they are bad for your back, that it would put you at a high risk of low back injury. Which to a degree is correct (the second part). But it's like any exerices you do, if you do it wrong, you can hurt yourself. This is why both El and Adam advised against showing new trainees. The fact of the matter is, if you do deadlifts properly, then you will have a stronger lower back that will be less prone to injury.

    2. People just don't understand how beneficial of an exercise that they are.

    3. They're a tough exercise. A lot of people aren't willing to work that hard. I've actually heard people say they don't like certain exercises because they were too hard. I was dumbfounded at the comment. It really made me want to question why they were even in a gym if they didn't want to do hard exercises. But I realized it would have been a waste of my time to even probe on that one.

    Oh well, none of it really matters. Like El said, who cares what others are doing. It has no bearing on you or what you're trying to accomplish.
    LOL @ best exercise. According to who, you? And according to what goals. If you feel deadlifts allow you to attain your goals in the best way possible continue to do them, but dont go around insinuating others arent training hard enough, lol. Not trying to be mean but I have seen way too many blanket statements around here lately.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  24. #23
    Senior Member accuFLEX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,190
    Just like to add a few things....

    Someone said that trainers cant teach squats, dl's, db beach bacuse of liability. But wouldn't it make since to teach people the right way to do things before they try it on there own and get hurt?

    Also, I like the fact that no one does deads...when i wanna do em', i do em', no one ever asks me how many sets i have left

    And yes deads are hard....and i hated them at first...but now i love them! I wish i could do squats and deads every day!

  25. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,392
    Well, at my gym a few people do SLDL's, but no one goes heavy heavy straigh DL. I would say I'm the only one, but that's what happens when you lift at a college gym with a bunch of curl jockeys

  26. #25
    I drink your milkshake twm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX
    Just like to add a few things....
    Someone said that trainers cant teach squats, dl's, db beach bacuse of liability. But wouldn't it make since to teach people the right way to do things before they try it on there own and get hurt?
    I never said PT's not teaching squats or deads was good, I just said that is how it is, generally speaking.
    Last edited by twm5993; 02-01-2005 at 04:59 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Getting back to the gym, need some advice
    By Small Fry in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 06:41 AM
  2. disturbing time at the gym (rant)
    By dissipate in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-31-2004, 04:19 AM
  3. Gym membership dilemma!
    By wowbaby in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-02-2002, 04:35 AM
  4. Help building home gym (db's, leg raise mach, bench)
    By geoffgarcia in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-10-2002, 12:23 PM
  5. Hitting on women at the gym: yea or nay?
    By Juan in forum General Chat
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 08-06-2002, 11:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •