The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Drag Curls

Drag Curls

Have you ever done traditional bicep work and felt most of the stress in your deltoids? This is more common than you think-especially if you have larger than average shoulders. The solution? Drag Curls, which were popularized by the late Vince Gironda. Drag Curls are one of those "lost exercises" which are almost never seen in modern times, but they pay big dividends.

You'll be using a light barbell. Don't worry—your muscles have no idea how much weight is on the bar. I would start with the 45lb bar (or lighter if you haven't been training long).

Begin the movement in a normal curl stance: bar at your thighs with your grip about shoulder-width or even slightly wider-this will vary from one person to the next. During this exercise you'll bend slightly at the waist, unlike normal barbell curls

Now, here's where it gets tricky. Instead of curling the weight up in an arch away from the body, as in a normal curl, DRAG the barbell up, keeping your elbows back at all times. Keep the bar in contact with your body throughout the curl. You'll drag the bar up to about mid-chest level (or a little higher if you can) pause, hold the top position for 1-2 seconds and then slowly lower it back down to your thighs Concentrate on flexing your biceps the entire time.

After about 4-5 reps you'll really feel this in the belly of your bicep and you won't feel it in your delts. Just feel your way around the movement and you'll find the groove that suits you best. Give this movement a shot.

Keith W.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Im definitely trying this tonight, being a bicep night for me, always wanted to know why I felt barbell curls in my delts way too much for my liking. I already started incorporating the forward bend into my movement a little to ease this strain a little but I'm definitely going to try that drag movement, thank you for the article
    " People just don't land on mountaintops… they had to climb."

I think that you wouldnt "feel" it in your delts of you kept your shoulder in a set position. I mean if you are rocking the weight up then i can understand becuase you are moving your shoulders. Keep your shoulders locked in place and elbows tight against your sides and i dont think you will hit your delts at all. From what you described it seems like you would be hitting the lats/rear delts a bit?
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

try it and see-and it has nothing to do with form ( or lack of form for that matter)

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericg
    From what you described it seems like you would be hitting the lats/rear delts a bit?
    That's what I was thinking. They're almost like rows, no?

even when I try barbell curls with strict for I tend to get ache or some invilvlemt from the delts, it seems that when concentrating the movement with the bicep only you tend to stabilise a little with the delts to stop your shoulders dropping forward?
    I think that weider arm blaster thing would be perfect to stop it but sadly I dont have one, although I feel that seated barbell curls diminish delt involvement a lot, waffling a bit there but just what i think and how it affects me
    " People just don't land on mountaintops… they had to climb."

Get your chin up, back straight and your shoulders should be fine.
    6'2 206

I use these sometimes and they are great. I would only add to Keith's post that this is one exercise where you really want to focus on form and not on moving the weight. Pay special attention to not using your traps; the object of the exercise is to work your biceps, not to move the weight as high as possible.