The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Fun With Deadlifting...

Figured I would start a journal and keep it up for a while, maybe.

Anyway, I deadlift RAW in the truest sense. I only use hand chalk or wrist straps (for my later sets). No belt, no suit, nothing else.

I use a hook grip with chalk only for all of my warmups and my first heavy set. This grip (for the uniformed) involves a double overhand grip in which the lifter wraps his thumb using his index and forefinger. It is used primarily by Olympic lifters in because they cannot use a mixed grip or straps when lifting. The hook is a stronger grip than the standard double overhand and weaker than a mixed grip.

As of late I have taken to performing multiple heavy sets with long breaks of 10 minutes or more between sets. I will update my workout as I go (in between breaks).

Today:

Deadlifts

135 x 9
    225 x 6
    315 x 6
    405 x 1
    475 x 1
    525 x 3 --- All sets with a hook grip and chalk.

My next set will be 525 using wrist straps and a double overhand grip. The hook chews up the base of my thumbs right where they meet the palm. If I do too many sets I will literally tear them.

525 x 3

525 x 3 again

525 x 2 ---didn't want to push to hard and tweak my already slightly unhappy back

525 x 2

405 x 6 --- That was all for me for the day.
    Last edited by chris mason; 02-01-2005 at 01:34 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

cut block extraordinaire
    You are one strong guy. I will keep watching this journal. What are some of your short and long term goals?

Banned
    nice pulls chris. did you reset and regrip after each rep on the heavy set or just bang the weights off the floor?

good to see you journalling again anyway, ought to provide some inspiration for some members here.

Chris. nice to see you start a journal. Your achievements over the years have been awe inspiring to say the least.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

ace pulling chris.. so what are the stats at now a days?
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Quote Originally Posted by andy51
    You are one strong guy. I will keep watching this journal. What are some of your short and long term goals?

To pull 700 without a belt.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    nice pulls chris. did you reset and regrip after each rep on the heavy set or just bang the weights off the floor?

good to see you journalling again anyway, ought to provide some inspiration for some members here.
    I reset and re-gripped with each rep on the first set with 525. On the other sets I am using straps and thus merely reset in terms of pausing about 1-2 seconds between reps.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmase1153
    ace pulling chris.. so what are the stats at now a days?

I honestly have no clue. I don't have a working scale at home at that is where I train (basement).

I would guess myself to be 218-220 lbs at 5'11".

Good to see you posting a workout.

can i get another explanation of the hook grip im just not gettin it?

ps nice pulls
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

chris as an expeirenced deadlifter like yourself do you consider using straps as equipment?

reason im asking is im stuck with my deads at a pretty low weight but its not cause of my strength on the movement its simply cause my grip wont allow anymore weight.. and im not so sure about using straps as i dont really like using equipment at all..

thanks in advance chris and p.s. your beast 5'11 220 is
    Last edited by lilmase1153; 02-01-2005 at 12:37 PM.
    PRs
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Ok, palms are facing down. Imagine you are doing shrugs and the grip you would take. Now, instead of your thumb being on the outside of your fingers you are covering it with the first 2 fingers on your hand.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by lilmase1153
    chris as an expeirenced deadlifter like yourself do you consider using straps as equipment?

reason im asking is im stuck with my deads at a pretty low weight but its not cause of my strength on the movement its simply cause my grip wont allow anymore weight.. and im not so sure about using straps as i dont really like using equipment at all..

thanks in advance chris and p.s. your beast 5'11 220 is
    I think at this point you should wait on the straps. Are you using a mixed grip?

yeah im using mix...
    PRs
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

Hmmm, well, then I think you should get yourself some hand chalk. You will see a HUGE difference in what you can hold with it. If you cannot use chalk at your gym then go ahead and use straps but after you have gone as far as you can in your sets without them.

thanks chris ive never thought of chalk but ill give it a try.. and i dont know if my gym allows it but i go so late it doesnt really matter :-)
    PRs
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

Awesome lifting Chris, keep up the good work. 700 without a belt is nuts.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

Phatboy
    Very cool to see you start a journal Chris! I have been hoping you would start one for some time now. Looks like I got my wish.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    That grip sounds painful as all hell.
    I be watching you.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

UH OOHH!!! Mason done started a journal lol. I'm def. gonna have to keep an eye on this. Great pullin' man. I hate to clutter your journal with questions, but I wanted to ask about something you had written awhile back. You stated, that you felt a person could gain good overall size if all they did was squat. Do you really feel this way?? The reason I ask, is because I've screwed up my rotator cuff, so I can't do really any chest, back or shoulder work at all. I still want to blast my legs and whatever else I can get away with, and I really enjoy squatting, so if you really felt that one could still gain some size, that would def. make me feel better for having to take a rest.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    I would guess myself to be 218-220 lbs at 5'11".
    You look bigger than that on your pics. We have about the same stats but you are a lot stronger than I. That was some great pullin. I'll be keeping an eye out for that 700 lb DL.
    Last edited by DoUgL@S; 02-01-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    UH OOHH!!! Mason done started a journal lol. I'm def. gonna have to keep an eye on this. Great pullin' man. I hate to clutter your journal with questions, but I wanted to ask about something you had written awhile back. You stated, that you felt a person could gain good overall size if all they did was squat. Do you really feel this way?? The reason I ask, is because I've screwed up my rotator cuff, so I can't do really any chest, back or shoulder work at all. I still want to blast my legs and whatever else I can get away with, and I really enjoy squatting, so if you really felt that one could still gain some size, that would def. make me feel better for having to take a rest.

I really do, yes.

If it will not further injure you shoulder then I think you should squat like crazy!

Try to squat as often as possible (2-3x per week minimum). Do at least 4-5 working sets (post-warmup sets) and take 5-10 minutes between sets after your first heavy set.

Work with reps in the 2-6 range and stop short of failure on your heavy sets.

If you can tolerate milk drink a TON of it while working out. Try to consume at least 1 gallon overall throughout the day.

If you don't get bigger overall I will be very surprised.

Now, does that mean when you first try a bench press again you will be just as strong? No, there is a neural component to training, but it does mean that you will quickly regain your strength in upper body movements and then surpass them once you can return to upper body training.

Good luck with your goals. Your strength/size gives us natty guys hope!
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

While working out!?!?

A little confused by this sentence
    "This grip (for the uniformed) involves a double overhand grip in which the lifter wraps his thumb using his index and forefinger."
    but nice to see other people using a double overhand grip. Has really helped my grip strength grow.