The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Should I be cutting or bulking?

Hey folks.

I suppose I should start with some background information. I used to weigh roughly 325lbs, and in about 2 years i managed to get down to 180 (6' 3.5" by the way).

Now aside from a little looseness, I look pretty reasonable. Currently I run 3 miles a day 6 days a week and take in about 1600 calories a day, and after losing another 10-15 lbs I had planned to start bulking. What I'm wondering now, is if I should start bulking right away and then cut any excess fat afterward. Which method would provide the best results? Will I lose more muscle when cutting or gain more fat when bulking?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

cut block extraordinaire
    I think I would bulk now if I was you, but it really comes down to your personal choice.

Trying to learn on the fly
    first off, your calories seem rather low. we don't know how much muscle you have but if you keep cutting, especially with that few calories, you may not be happy with the end result. i would reccomend that you bulk so you have a muscular body when you cut, but like andy said, it is up to you

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I might start bulking next week. If it helps at all, I'd say I have a flat-out average amount of muscle. Visible pec definition, generally slender, somewhat V-shaped, etc. Not bulky or really toned though.

Would it be at all detrimental to have a week of cutting every month while I bulk? Or should it be more of an all or nothing thing?

Thanks again.

Its about the naked thing! FireBug's Avatar
    Jas, i would go on a minor bulk while you put on that extra muscle. Once you have that base build the extra muscle will help raise your metabalizm making the cut that much easier.

When i tried (and i only tried one time) a bulk 3 weeks cut 2 weeks, i never got any benifits, bulk (in your case slowly) then cut when you have hit your goal.

I would Bulk to 200, cut to 180, repeat till the cut to 180 is lean enought then bulk to 205, cut to 185 etc etc. My guess is that your second cut cycle will not allow you to drop all the way down without having a really low BF.
    Last edited by FireBug; 02-01-2005 at 03:25 PM.